Arsenal v Chelsea on 25th Aug 1984

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Chelsea 1-0 Sunderland

Monday 27th August 1984 at The Bridge with a 3 o clock kick off.

Paul Canoville was our goal scorer , in the 14th min.

A crowd of 25,552 saw our first home match back in Division 1.

Can't find any footage of it.

Next up is Everton at The Bridge on Friday 31st August at 7,15 pm.

25 minutes ago, erskblue said:

Cheers mate. I was pretty sure there was live tv coverage on bbc for the Everton game.

Still quite rare for League matches back in 1984/85.

Yes very rare, if I remember right the first ever live league game was a Sunday afternoon Spurs v Forest, to have us on twice a few months apart, city away then Everton home was a real treat.

Have to say Frank's arrival has been made a huge impact, but also reading this thread gives me a real buzz for game days again.

3 hours ago, chi blue said:

Yes very rare, if I remember right the first ever live league game was a Sunday afternoon Spurs v Forest, to have us on twice a few months apart, city away then Everton home was a real treat.

Have to say Frank's arrival has been made a huge impact, but also reading this thread gives me a real buzz for game days again.

Remember a Villa v Liverpool Friday night match being shown live on bbc in Jan or Feb 84.

I went to the local Youth Club as usual. (I was 16) When I came back in my old man told me I'd "missed a great game."

My reply was: "Oh good, Liverpool got beat then !":biggrin:

He laughed, but told me no, they had won...

2 hours ago, erskblue said:

Remember a Villa v Liverpool Friday night match being shown live on bbc in Jan or Feb 84.

I went to the local Youth Club as usual. (I was 16) When I came back in my old man told me I'd "missed a great game."

My reply was: "Oh good, Liverpool got beat then !":biggrin:

He laughed, but told me no, they had won...

It's funny how rivalry's change sometimes as you get older or rivalry's are built over time.

I can remember as a kid having a soft spot for West Ham because of Trevor Brooking etc and also them winning a couple of cups on TV, it wasn't until I started going to the bridge did my dislike for them begin, now I can't stand them, same with Spurs their team of late 70's early 80's were exciting with Hoddle, ardiles and villa, and again good to watch on TV, who can forget those two cup finals against Man City in 81, again though soon as I started going to bridge my hatred for them began, it's now at the stage of despicing them, with Liverpool you had to admire them in 70's/80's for what they achieved and only did they register on my radar of hatred once the Jose/FSW rode into town. As a young child in the 70's and being born into Chelsea family the arch enemy was Leeds, now that hatred has slowly decreased due to not playing them for years, and I would take them winning over the above now, if they were to play each other.

1 hour ago, chi blue said:

It's funny how rivalry's change sometimes as you get older or rivalry's are built over time.

I can remember as a kid having a soft spot for West Ham because of Trevor Brooking etc and also them winning a couple of cups on TV, it wasn't until I started going to the bridge did my dislike for them begin, now I can't stand them, same with Spurs their team of late 70's early 80's were exciting with Hoddle, ardiles and villa, and again good to watch on TV, who can forget those two cup finals against Man City in 81, again though soon as I started going to bridge my hatred for them began, it's now at the stage of despicing them, with Liverpool you had to admire them in 70's/80's for what they achieved and only did they register on my radar of hatred once the Jose/FSW rode into town. As a young child in the 70's and being born into Chelsea family the arch enemy was Leeds, now that hatred has slowly decreased due to not playing them for years, and I would take them winning over the above now, if they were to play each other.

Fair points. In saying that I was still pleased that Stoke City beat Leeds Utd in the EFL Cup last night.:biggrin:

One team that I've never had any dislike for, has been Man City.

I'd still prefer it, even for all their money, City won the Premiership before Spuds, Liverpool or Arsenal,

16 hours ago, erskblue said:

Fair points. In saying that I was still pleased that Stoke City beat Leeds Utd in the EFL Cup last night.:biggrin:

One team that I've never had any dislike for, has been Man City.

I'd still prefer it, even for all their money, City won the Premiership before Spuds, Liverpool or Arsenal,

Yes same here, always take city over the others on winning premiership, I'm torn between Leeds, sitting here now, I think it would be good to have Leeds in top division again, but then again the old hatred rears it head when I watch them on tv, I suppose it's in the blood.

On 05/09/2019 at 06:27, erskblue said:

Man Utd 1-1 Chelsea Wed, 5th Sept 1984 at 7:30pm

19840905.jpgA 1=1 draw with Micky Thomas scoring for us in the 50th min. Equalising Olsen's 15min opener for them.

A crowd 48,398 of saw it

Went up there on a whim with me older brother in his VW Passat. For some reason I wasn’t at work; me bros interest in Chelsea was on the wane at the time but he rung me up saying he’d always wanted to go to Old Trafford so off we went.

Remember hearing Sade Smooth Operator in the motor for the first time- checked online it was only released the day before.

One of those games I recall pretty much nothing about, but do remember Chelsea briefly scattering the Stratford End just before final whistle- SH and co made an appearance when the gates were opened.

12 hours ago, Richard P said:

Nothing for United but there was ITN news footage of us losing 4-2 to Villa

Cheers. I think this Villa footage might  be on one of the first pages of the 'Vintage Blues Pictures' Thread.

Edited by erskblue

2 hours ago, Ewell CFC said:

Went up there on a whim with me older brother in his VW Passat. For some reason I wasn’t at work; me bros interest in Chelsea was on the wane at the time but he rung me up saying he’d always wanted to go to Old Trafford so off we went.

Remember hearing Sade Smooth Operator in the motor for the first time- checked online it was only released the day before.

One of those games I recall pretty much nothing about, but do remember Chelsea briefly scattering the Stratford End just before final whistle- SH and co made an appearance when the gates were opened.

Cheers, it's amazing what you do remember from some of the games back then !

eg The Sade song 'Smooth Operator' being played on your journey up !

28 minutes ago, erskblue said:

Just checked, the Villa Sept 84 footage is the second item on the Vintage Blues Thread.

You'll do well to find any more footage for this season the only definite is Spurs at home 1-1 Pat Nevin scores a free kick. And the Man City 4-1 where Pat takes that dreadful penalty and the other league cup games against Wednesday and Sunderland.. There's also this the Arsenal home game.

Edited by bluehaze