Sign in to follow this  
Argo

Our return to the market

Have to say I hope we can find a quality winger and a very good CB. 

That should put us in the thick of it next season. I'm not on the Rudi bandwagon and dont see him as a long term starter. Bad injury history and overrated all round IMO but he walks into our team right now if he's at his top level. 

It was in the papers today that we’ve told agents that we’re expecting to do business in January and FIFA/CAS will reduce it to 1 window. 

16 hours ago, TheChelseaBlues said:

That should put us in the thick of it next season. I'm not on the Rudi bandwagon and dont see him as a long term starter. Bad injury history and overrated all round IMO but he walks into our team right now if he's at his top level. 

I think if we can get someone like Skriniar or similar caliber, we’d be in great shape rolling Rüdiger out next to him.  And with Christensen in there, we’d have a great set of 3 CBs, with Tomori being 4th choice.  I think Zouma would be the odd man out if we bought a top level center half.

Agree as well that we should bring in another quality winger.  Replace both Willian and Pedro with someone like Neres/Bergwijn/Sancho or someone similar.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7449075/Chelsea-transfer-news-Chelsea-target-35-million-swoop-Nice-defender-Youcef-Atal.html

I know journalists are sh*t but this has to be one of the worst written rumours i've ever seen. 

Chelsea boss Frank Lampard has been concerned by their frailties at the back, which as seen his side ship nine goals already and is planning to strengthen his rearguard. - So to do this we'll sign a player that has played as many games on the wing as at full back? Not to mention the fact we have Reece James coming back. 

If Chelsea are successful in their pursuit of the centre-back, he would provide competition for the trio of Kurt Zouma, Andreas Christensen and Fikayo Tomori.Well, he's a 5'7 full back, who's probably better on the wing than he is at full back. 

Onto the next rumour i guess. 

On 08/09/2019 at 06:13, TheChelseaBlues said:

Striker, Wingers, another LB and RB are more important than CB in my opinion.

34 minutes ago, jack_super_class said:

CB is more important than fullback.

Emerson and James are good enough to start for most teams, i don't think any of our CB's are.

14 hours ago, jack_super_class said:

I think Rudiger, Christensen, Zouma and Tomori are fine. Emerson is good but i dont rate Alonso in a back 4 and Azpi is struggling at the moment and have to wait and see how James does in the premier league.

18 hours ago, jack_super_class said:

I also think they're fine. Fine doesn't get you trophies though. If Tomori turns out to be Willi Gallas then yea we're in good shape. Right now we don't know if he gets to that level. 

Alonso and Dave are clearly not good enough right now but Emerson is and James is about as promising as any prospect ever has been so I think we'll be safe there. 

RB could be a deficiency if James doesn't pan out. We do know however that we are not good enough at CB, no it's about it. 

Edited by TheChelseaBlues

On 11/09/2019 at 10:27, RIP Mourinho said:

elaborate? 

Taking the piss on the French league. Jozy Altidore was a beast in the Eredivisie aswell.

16 minutes ago, Soulo said:

Taking the piss on the French league. Jozy Altidore was a beast in the Eredivisie aswell.

The French league seem to be producing some of the best talents at the moment, Mbappe, Ndombele, Auour, Lacazette etc. 

In my opinion,  we need one of each of the following:

Striker, winger, CB, LB

Sell Alonso.  I’m fine rotating James and Azpi on the right.  In fact, I think we’d see an uptick in the performances from Azpi if he could just get a f**king rest.  The guy has played almost every game for the past 4 years.

Whatever we do, I hope we spend big on a couple of world class starters rather than spreading the money around on 6 guys who are no better than what we have now.

I don't view depth as our biggest problem.  If we assume Dave returns to something resembling past form, we've already got 13-15 quality, Premier League starter-quality players (setting GK aside).  We have probably 6 across the back line, 5 in the midfield and 4 at forward.   At the moment, the problem is that none of them are among the best in the league at their positions, except for Kante.  As I look at what we have in-house, money spent in the midfield would be wasted -  unless Kante leaves.   Kante is the best there is, RLC and Mount may well grow into studs and Jorginho, Kovacic and even Barkley excellent depth players.  That leaves forward and the back 4. 

I'll be interested to see what James can bring after he's healthy.  If it's positive, center back looks to be the biggest place for a major upgrade (and we could even recoup some of that money by sending 1 or 2 of the existing, capable CBs out).  If James does not look like an immediate replacement for Dave, maybe that spot is where you spend the money.   One place we likely will need a depth player is behind Emerson.  Can't see Alonso sticking around for no play.

Up front, it all depends on Tammy.  If he's a 15+ goal guy, we can spend the money on a winger.  A world class wing to go with CP and CHO and a 15+ goal striker makes for an excellent offense (and set for the future as the three young forwards continue to develop).  If Tammy isn't that guy, the money needs to go a world class, sure thing 20 goal striker.  In that case, Mount and RLC and formations can be used to supplement CHO and Pulisic.

Small dollar amounts on depth at left back and maybe wing.  Contend for titles.

1 hour ago, TrueBlueSeaFC87 said:

Romagnoli, Koulibaly,  Umtiti, Varane.

I assume you mean 1 of them? 

Koulibaly would be perfect but dealing with that nutter in charge of Napoli isn't easy. 

Umtiti would be the most gettable of the other 3 but I'd prefer Thiago Silva. He'll be free and IMO is still a top player despite being 33. 

Edited by TheChelseaBlues

6 hours ago, TheChelseaBlues said:

I assume you mean 1 of them? 

Koulibaly would be perfect but dealing with that nutter in charge of Napoli isn't easy. 

Umtiti would be the most gettable of the other 3 but I'd prefer Thiago Silva. He'll be free and IMO is still a top player despite being 33. 

I watch PSG every week.

Thiago Silva has dead ended his career. He's a big fish in a small pond and he always gets shown up in the big CL games.

And at his age I'd avoid him like the plague. Might as well have kept Cahill if Silva is a possible.