Jezz

Ben Chilwell

I think this would be a smart signing, but only if the 70m price doesn't prevent us from signing players in other important positions in need of upgrade.  I don't think it will, due to the funds we will have raised during the ban - minimally, the 70m will be about a third of our available funds raised from players sales this summer and next, so far.

Chilwell for 70m? That English player tax at it again... In what world is a player like him worth 70m lmao. Pathetic transfer if true. 

Would be more embarrassing that Mcguire's 80m move to Utd!

15 hours ago, ENygma said:

Chilwell for 70m? That English player tax at it again... In what world is a player like him worth 70m lmao. Pathetic transfer if true. 

Would be more embarrassing that Mcguire's 80m move to Utd!

People said the same about £50m for Kyle Walker then he went onto being an integral part of the greatest domestic side we've seen.

'English tax' will always be a thing so long as there are homegrown rules within the league.

8 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

People said the same about £50m for Kyle Walker then he went onto being an integral part of the greatest domestic side we've seen.

'English tax' will always be a thing so long as there are homegrown rules within the league.

Kyle Walker at least was heard of and was a good player for several years before and built up a rep. 

Nobody even knew who Chilwell was until midway through last season...

11 hours ago, ENygma said:

Kyle Walker at least was heard of and was a good player for several years before and built up a rep. 

Nobody even knew who Chilwell was until midway through last season...

Chilwell has been consistently performing for two seasons now.

Walker had built up a reputation as an error prone pace merchant.

5 hours ago, Sindre said:

If Emerson keeps performing the way he currently is we won't need Chilwell.

You're probably right.  I identified LB in the war chest thread as one position I'd want us to strengthen, Emerson has looked very good so far though so it may not need to be a priority.

5 hours ago, Sindre said:

If Emerson keeps performing the way he currently is we won't need Chilwell.

Emerson is looking really good, and although i am a massive Chilwell fan, i dont think he is worth paying £70m for if Emerson keeeps performing. 

Alonso will definitely go in the summer though,  theres no way he will stay to be back up. Its a pity Arsenal bought Tierney, because for £25m, he wouldve been an excellent signing. Theres Telles and Grimaldo who have reasonable buy out clause, but would either want to compete with Emerson?

We have Castillo and Maatsen though, so maybe we wont even go in for a left back next summer. 

3 hours ago, big blue said:

Emerson is looking really good, and although i am a massive Chilwell fan, i dont think he is worth paying £70m for if Emerson keeeps performing. 

Alonso will definitely go in the summer though,  theres no way he will stay to be back up. Its a pity Arsenal bought Tierney, because for £25m, he wouldve been an excellent signing. Theres Telles and Grimaldo who have reasonable buy out clause, but would either want to compete with Emerson?

We have Castillo and Maatsen though, so maybe we wont even go in for a left back next summer. 

Not worth anywhere near 70m and Emerson is already better than him.

If Alonso goes we need to find a good backup option. I wouldnt mind signing a new RB and keeping Azpi as backup at both RB and LB. 

2 hours ago, ENygma said:

Not worth anywhere near 70m and Emerson is already better than him.

If Alonso goes we need to find a good backup option. I wouldnt mind signing a new RB and keeping Azpi as backup at both RB and LB. 

Reece James is going to get a shot as our starting RB before we sign anyone new though. I do like the idea of Azpi as a backup.  I think he’d perform better in less appearances, his legs are going.

On 15/08/2019 at 21:05, mwblue10 said:

Reece James is going to get a shot as our starting RB before we sign anyone new though. I do like the idea of Azpi as a backup.  I think he’d perform better in less appearances, his legs are going.

For sure, keep RJ as our starting main for now. If he still needs time to adjust we can sign a top quality RB and ease RJ into the new role and keep Azpi as 3rd choice CB and 2nd choice LB. Can even be kept as an emergency CB if needs be as hes played there quite a bit, especially under Conte.

Would rather we got someone like Gaya, who would likely be cheaper than Chilwell and could be a better player too, and keep Emerson.  Sell Alonso, ASAP.  After this run of solid form, his value is as high as it will ever be.

15 minutes ago, mwblue10 said:

Would rather we got someone like Gaya, who would likely be cheaper than Chilwell and could be a better player too, and keep Emerson.  Sell Alonso, ASAP.  After this run of solid form, his value is as high as it will ever be.

Aye. Then we have the funds to go for someone like Havertz or Sancho to replace Pedro. Willian probably have 1 season left in him. We still need a backup CF for when Giroud hangs his boots.

22 hours ago, Munkworth said:

Da youf?

That was my first guess, but what youth do we have that can play LB? 

At RB we have Reece so thats not a problem, but i think we don't have any youth players who are ready to be backup for us at LB

12 hours ago, Munkworth said:

I couldn’t tell you but Dave can cover LB/RB and Zouma/Rudiger has played at RB before too. 

I know they’ve both slotted in there in the past, but I don’t want Zouma or Rüdiger anywhere near our RB spot.