enigma

Good Champions League run vs dropping down to Europa League?

Would you prefer a good CL run or getting 3rd place in the group stage and dropping down into Europa League? 

For me, I want us to get CL qualification for next season and obviously EL is the best option. I want to see us do well in the CL, but for me It's gotta be winning EL. 

1 hour ago, enigma said:

Would you prefer a good CL run or getting 3rd place in the group stage and dropping down into Europa League? 

For me, I want us to get CL qualification for next season and obviously EL is the best option. I want to see us do well in the CL, but for me It's gotta be winning EL. 

There's no point in being the CL if you don't want to go on a run. Constantly thinking about qualifying for next year's competition is futile. 

23 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

There's no point in being the CL if you don't want to go on a run. Constantly thinking about qualifying for next year's competition is futile. 

Getting CL qualification will ensure we can secure much higher calibre players though. 

It's better to win or be second in the CL group and get money for going forward and play 2 quality games where the fans will be exicted. Even if we were to get eliminated that's fine we got tons of money for that and still can turn to securing a decent finish in the league. 

Playing more games in Europa League won't do any good, last season we had 2 quality games there it was a waste of time till the very last stage of the competition.

19 minutes ago, enigma said:

Getting CL qualification will ensure we can secure much higher calibre players though. 

We have a bigger reputation in the modern day than Arsenal and they've pulled of Lacazette, PEA and Pepe while being a Europa League side, im sure we will be fine.

The only players that will be truly out of reach will be the very elite, which would 99% be the case anyway.

1 hour ago, enigma said:

Not really. Going on a run to the semis of the CL will do more. Also it would be more enjoyable. 

Need to finish top 4. Get back into the transfer market with the club in a position to offer top tier football to the best players.

Everything else is irrelevant to me this year.

Well, I would like a good Champions League run, its been a while. But at the same time I don't know if this squad is currently good enough for anything more than last 16. I don't see us getting top 4 this season, so I think our best way in to the Champions League next season is winning the Europa League again. I'm not sure we are even good enough to win that this year though. I think Arsenal will be heavy favourites for it this year. So I'm not sure what I would prefer.

2 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

Well, I would like a good Champions League run, its been a while. But at the same time I don't know if this squad is currently good enough for anything more than last 16. I don't see us getting top 4 this season, so I think our best way in to the Champions League next season is winning the Europa League again. I'm not sure we are even good enough to win that this year though. I think Arsenal will be heavy favourites for it this year. So I'm not sure what I would prefer.

Depends how tough the draw is for the group stage. If we end up drawing Real Madrid/Barcelona and another big boy in one of the other top leagues, we may drop to Europa anyway. I would not be so ashamed if this was the case because it will be less shameful. 

Sometimes in tournaments you can't win, especially the CL where it's ridiculously hard, so the next best thing is making memories. I know some people will choose a Europa win over a deep CL run because it's a trophy but i wouldn't. We have created many great memories in the CL, the 2005 destructions of Barca and Bayern, would you have traded that for winning the uefa cup with only one hard tie all the way through? I certainly wouldn't have. 

I want to make a fist of the CL this season. If it's going to be our last for a minimum season i want to take a couple if scalps and enjoy some top European nights again, and when it does eventually end i want us to go out kicking and screaming, not the meek ways we surrendered to Paris or Barca.

Champions League for me. It's been at least five years since we've had a good run in the competition.

Though in the event that we drop back down to the Europa League, I'd like to see us defend it again.

Edited by Jezz

Although many people are underestimate us nowadays, Chelsea winning the europa league is not seen as a major accomplishment. When we are at the europa league everyone sees us as the favorite to win, and when we do nobody is surprised. And we won it twice now. Chelsea is a CL team. Of course its good and not that easy to win the EL but we are CL level and nothing less than that.

2 minutes ago, seveN said:

Although many people are underestimate us nowadays, Chelsea winning the europa league is not seen as a major accomplishment. When we are at the europa league everyone sees us as the favorite to win, and when we do nobody is surprised. And we won it twice now. Chelsea is a CL team. Of course its good and not that easy to win the EL but we are CL level and nothing less than that.

Yep, as much as its great to have another european trophy in the cabinet. The one that matters is the UCL. Winning Europa is like winning the FA or Carabao cup

1 hour ago, DisposeOfDeadwood said:

Yep, as much as its great to have another european trophy in the cabinet. The one that matters is the UCL. Winning Europa is like winning the FA or Carabao cup

Is it even on the level with the FA Cup? I'd much rather see us win that. 

On 08/11/2019 at 17:25, TheChelseaBlues said:

Hmm, Id say its definitely above the Carabao cup, probably on par with FA cup I think.

The Europa does have some decent teams that compete in it, but only really in the latter stages, but the decent teams are pretty much all teams that had just dropped down from the UCL.

On 08/11/2019 at 17:25, TheChelseaBlues said:

Depends. This year, I'd rather win the FA Cup. Because winning the Europa league means we have to fail. 

Last year, i'd rather the Europa League.