Norwich vs Chelsea (PL) Sat 24th Aug 12:30 GMT

VAR is still a joke second week running. I could understand referee missing those bad tackles, but if VAR was monitoring the game and is supposed to correct the obvious wrong, it's ridiculous so much could be ignored. VAR is best used for match fixing, with the way it's been operating. Let's say this game was played without VAR, the referee let everything go, we'd get a fourth goal after a bit of collision ( referee was happy to give the goal), yet the VAR decided to correct the 'wrong' this time, after ignoring every other incidents on the field.

2 hours ago, icecoolguy22 said:

VAR is still a joke second week running. I could understand referee missing those bad tackles, but if VAR was monitoring the game and is supposed to correct the obvious wrong, it's ridiculous so much could be ignored. VAR is best used for match fixing, with the way it's been operating. Let's say this game was played without VAR, the referee let everything go, we'd get a fourth goal after a bit of collision ( referee was happy to give the goal), yet the VAR decided to correct the 'wrong' this time, after ignoring every other incidents on the field.

This is what I was thinking from the start, it is absolutely perfect for match fixing.

VAR can overturn bad decisions or mistakes, but what happens to the mistakes that it doesn't correct? After the games the refs will defend each others decisions like they have always, only now they will not only defend the guy on the pitch but the ones in the VAR room as well. 

Watching the match in full as I had no chance to watch it yesterday.

-Norwich first goal should have not happened. Abraham was fouled just before it and it was a blatant foul by referee. Why dont they VAR that after the goal?
-Stieperman gets No card fouling Kovacic. That is a foul that merits a card every time.
-Mount is one of our best players.
-Lot of missed chances like Andreas' header, Jorginho chance, Pulisic chances,
-I think we should sometimes hold the ball for a while. We are giving chances away because we have less possession. Flip side is we don't face congested defences always playing quick. Football game is 90mins and sometimes we should take the wind out of opponent sails by keeping the ball.
-Abrahams both takes are fantastic.
-Zouma goal was a goal. If that was Kepa it was a goal all day long. Krul attempted to catch it where he should have just punched it away.
-We were excellent in the second half. Apart from one header on bar we gave them nothing. We should have scored 6 goals in the game.

18 hours ago, dan_cfc said:

Nice to finally get that first win some impressive performances going forward Tammy & Mount.. also thought Kovacic was superb.. the defence is still very concerning though and needs serious sorting out, hopefully Rudiger can be the man to come in and steady the back line.

I normally record Match of the Day and then fast forward past all of the platitudes, anti Chelsea sensationalism, and general facile comments between games. However last night i watched it in real time and in fairness to Danny Murphy, who normally, i don't have a lot of time for, his analysis of Kovacic highlighted elements that i wasn't even aware of whilst watching the game. Kovacic was superb, you're right, and far more aggressive, dynamic and productive than the previous Scotty Parker-esque turning round in circles with the ball, that he was like under Sarri.

Much more of this Kovacic please, this guy is worth the money.

41 minutes ago, WhiteWall said:

I normally record Match of the Day and then fast forward past all of the platitudes, anti Chelsea sensationalism, and general facile comments between games. However last night i watched it in real time and in fairness to Danny Murphy, who normally, i don't have a lot of time for, his analysis of Kovacic highlighted elements that i wasn't even aware of whilst watching the game. Kovacic was superb, you're right, and far more aggressive, dynamic and productive than the previous Scotty Parker-esque turning round in circles with the ball, that he was like under Sarri.

I was doubtful too about us signing him though after seeing him yesterday in ~Kante's absence also thought he was worth the price.

2 hours ago, WhiteWall said:

Funny,  but i also overlooked Kova's performance when i was watching live. For me, that was easily his best league game. 

6 hours ago, robdog said:

spuds too

Funny thing football. Spurs get a great result at the Etihad (any points are good there) and then follow it with one of the most lackluster performances I have seen from them the past five years. To lose at home to Newcastle 1-0 is dreadful. I saw most of it and they showed no desire to be there. 

Liverpool and City likely to run away and hide again. 15 clubs have either 3 or 4 points. 15! It’s early so fully expect the usual sorts to be 3 - 6 in the table in a few more weeks, but it is interesting to see everyone within a point of each other.

Come on you Chelsea!!

Edited by Chelsea Buzz

Well earned and hard fought win too. Both Norwich goals could have been prevented and were "cheap" goals. In the second we tighten things and it was all us. Happy for Tammy and Mount both excellent, also VAR should have prevented Norwich first goal, and it should have gave us a penalty when Azpilicueta was kicked in the box. I guess VAR will work only on the teams that need pushing.

VAR does not look like the panacea it was being promoted as. I thought Azpi was fouled and under strict interpretation with VAR would have expected a penalty though the old me pre VAR, thought it was not a blantant foul and most refs would play on, as this one did.

Looking at the Spurs claim with Kane and Lascelles the panel were split, Shearer thought not a penalty and Crouch thought it was. I thought it was a penalty until one view point and it looked like Harry had stopped running and was happy to play for the penalty. 

Now it looks like VAR may not be able to make better decisions, in that case it may just be a waste of money...........

Any kind of simulation will be spotted by VAR in those kinds of situations, when they slow-mo the incident you could see the Newcastle defender was trying to impede Kane but he failed to properly make contact with him, so Kane decided to dramatise it into a penalty shout.

20 hours ago, Vagabond said:

This is what I was thinking from the start, it is absolutely perfect for match fixing.

VAR can overturn bad decisions or mistakes, but what happens to the mistakes that it doesn't correct? After the games the refs will defend each others decisions like they have always, only now they will not only defend the guy on the pitch but the ones in the VAR room as well. 

when the referee made a mistake and VAR not interfering, it's called let the Referee decide the game. When VAR interfered, it's called correcting the wrong, so either way the big decisions are handled by the 'referees in the dark room. People used to say over the season the decisions balance out, which could be true because unless the referees are intentionally being biased, they will make similar errors throughout the season, therefore balance out in a way. With VAR, it's no longer the case, because it could over turn a decision without warning, or completely ignore obvious fouls.

Nice win to us, and another 3 points this weekend and we aren't looking that bad.

10 hours ago, Chelsea Buzz said:

Funny thing football. Spurs get a great result at the Etihad (any points are good there) and then follow it with one of the most lackluster performances I have seen from them the past five years. To lose at home to Newcastle 1-0 is dreadful. I saw most of it and they showed no desire to be there. 

Spurs got absolutely smashed at City, it was one of the most one sided games in a long long time, 999 times out of 1000 that game is over at half time. 

It was the ultimate fluke result.

Whatever about the rights and wrongs of the decisions made by VAR over the past two weeks there is no doubt that the way it is administered is dreadful. Everything happening in secret, no inclusion of the fans at all, it creates an unreal atmosphere. The way that technology is used in cricket and rugby, as well as ensuring decisions are correct, actually adds to the drama. Why can't the football authorities trust the fans the way those sports do? 

On 25/08/2019 at 10:09, evissy said:

Watching the match in full as I had no chance to watch it yesterday.

-Norwich first goal should have not happened. Abraham was fouled just before it and it was a blatant foul by referee. Why dont they VAR that after the goal?
-Stieperman gets No card fouling Kovacic. That is a foul that merits a card every time.
-Mount is one of our best players.
-Lot of missed chances like Andreas' header, Jorginho chance, Pulisic chances,
-I think we should sometimes hold the ball for a while. We are giving chances away because we have less possession. Flip side is we don't face congested defences always playing quick. Football game is 90mins and sometimes we should take the wind out of opponent sails by keeping the ball.
-Abrahams both takes are fantastic.
-Zouma goal was a goal. If that was Kepa it was a goal all day long. Krul attempted to catch it where he should have just punched it away.
-We were excellent in the second half. Apart from one header on bar we gave them nothing. We should have scored 6 goals in the game.

Especially agree on your holding the ball point.  Someone else earlier in the thread (or maybe in another) mentioned how we look tired the last 20 minutes - it's great to see us go forward when we do have the ball as well as press with such purpose when we don't, but it's a little helter skelter at times, exhausting and I hope do a bit more game management.  Not saying sit back on a one goal lead, and perhaps would have been different if we went two up at some point, but will be great to switch things up mid-game and I imagine Frank will be doing that down the line.  

One other minor point, I am surprised at how we'll have both full backs up the pitch at the same time.  On a couple of occasions I was confused as to who the crossfield ball was going to before I realized it was Emerson to Azpi or vice versa - quite the switch from some of our past managers.  I just watched on tv so hard to see who if anyone was dropping back to cover a bit, but does make me a little nervous and maybe something good to hold back on at times so we can get a clean sheet or two and restore some defensive confidence.