Sign in to follow this  
Gol15

"Chelsea our religion" - what does it mean?

I'm an Orthodox Christian and consider myself religious and yet I'm not offended whatsoever if someone says "Chelsea is my religion" for example.

People are free to live their lives as they see fit.

On 23/08/2019 at 21:38, dkw said:

My invisible made up person living in the sky is more important than your invisible made up person living in the sky.... 

Or as Carlin so eloquently put it, "my god has a bigger dick than your god!"

We are all religious to some degree as a product of living in a capitalist society

Thou shalt get job
Thou shalt pay taxes
Thou shalt not commit crime or get sent to prison (A lot of the 10 commandments are compressed into this one)

Do this or be punished exists where there are governments, the old established religions are really obsolete if you view it objectively.

51 minutes ago, Amputechture said:

Or as Carlin so eloquently put it, "my god has a bigger dick than your god!"

Ha ha. Don't know who carlin is but I like him... 

On 21/08/2019 at 11:34, Gol15 said:

No, I'm not English you're right about that. It's obvious to me that in general, the majority of the western world doesn't take religion very seriously nowadays (when I say religion I mean Christianity).
But once upon a time, Britain did take it seriously and from what I have learned, the values of Christianity played a major role in London becoming a great city and I have much respect and admiration for some people from Britain of the past and present that do believe in God. 

But regardless of what I think about that subject, many other teams have the same slogan for their teams or something similar. Most notable to me is Man United that has the same thing going on.
I have no knowledge about who started first and who copied who but across Europe a flag of the fans represent a certain fan group and that is considered a serious thing. For example if a group steals a flag from another one (I'm saying a fan group since I don't know how sensitive it is to say firm or mention hooliganism) that group is erased from existance (I do know that it's different in the Premier league today compared to 30 years ago or more and maybe not comparable to other leagues in Europe)...

So are our fans a real group like others that exist and they take that banner even to some away games or is that particular banner not as serious?

Here in PT when a group A steals a major flag or banner from group b. Group b isnt erased from existance, its just an act of humiliation for the group b. And in this part of europe religion is still a very important and delicate subject but when you say that your team is your religion nobody sees that as disrespect. Fc Porto fans call their chairman (Pinto da Costa, the chairman with the most football titles in the world) as "The Pope" because he's old and everybody admires him.

And about the word "serious" and "offended" are two of the most used words when you try to explain what british humor is ahah

Edited by seveN

For me a lot of CFC fans were not intellectual and wanted to belong to something.

I was angry as a youngster as wanted to go first in the Army or then the police yet due to injuries could not join (back then) then wanted to got university but the old man was just in the group where he would have to contribute when he was working nights and doing DIY to get the house nice.

So I was not the most happy at that time yet found CFC through a work friend's advice and found if you could learn a song or two you would be accepted and after a few matches you identified with CFC.....

When you identify it is no longer Chelsea played well, it becomes We played well.

That identification can be a bit dangerous as then if CFC fans are in trouble you feel inclined to help out. Yet I recall some nasty CFC fans that picked on lone supporters.

Fortunately not many.