Jump to content

The clothing we wore to the football back then.


erskblue
 Share

Recommended Posts

37 minutes ago, bluehaze said:

Donkey jackets were quite trendy for a while pre casual especially among older fans. Who did you support in Scotland Ersk because with the weather I'm surprised everyone wasn't wearing them !

Yes can remember Donkey jackets being a bit trendy around 1980, with Dexy's song Geno they all wore Donkey jackets, mind you their biggest song come on Eileen they wore denim dungarees, don't remember those being trendy? Think I'll stick to my Tracksuit!;!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites


59 minutes ago, chi blue said:

Yes can remember Donkey jackets being a bit trendy around 1980, with Dexy's song Geno they all wore Donkey jackets, mind you their biggest song come on Eileen they wore denim dungarees, don't remember those being trendy? Think I'll stick to my Tracksuit!;!!

Came back among mods a few years ago Martin Freeman wears a donkey jacket in Sherlock although it's a bit more stylish than a Wimpy one from the 70's.

Edited by bluehaze
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, bluehaze said:

Donkey jackets were quite trendy for a while pre casual especially among older fans. Who did you support in Scotland Ersk because with the weather I'm surprised everyone wasn't wearing them !

I followed Rangers in Scotland and the Parkas were certainly 'all seasons weather gear' back then.

The weather here could be atrocious, Wet, windy and cold. Just like today in fact !

 In fact a Donkey Jacket or Parka would certainly have been suitable clothing today.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎23‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 06:02, erskblue said:

Tyne-Tees Trouble: When Newcastle United and Boro fans clashed in ...

Looks like Parkas and Donkey Jackets being worn at the football !

I remember Parkas being worn  at the football but not Donkey Jackets.

Picture is dated winter 1982/83.

 

Just looked it up again and this picture was taken at a Middlesbrough v Sunderland match in Feb 1983.

Link to comment
Share on other sites



  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone recall Farah or was it fara slacks ,the only kegs that were not jeans or Lois cords or tacchini tracky bottoms to pass the test 

they was for sure a London thing ,used to nick mine from M&S with the old hang a pair over another pair on the rack ,walk out go back a hour or so later the Ask to try my special placed pair on the rack on in changing rooms .

bird thought i was only taking one pair in ,tried them on ,came out gave one pair back to the bird with other pair of farah slacks on under me jeans .

i Even recall taking a pair back in a M& bag  with no reciept since i half inched them Just before xmass .told the counter staff they was a xmass present that i wanted to return but had no reciept ,she was more than happy to had me back £23 from the TILL .

went out of pub and on the lash 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 20/05/2020 at 09:55, Ewell CFC said:

I don’t remember wearing anything but kicks from about 11 to 16, and I think they were ordered from a Freemans or Janet Fraser catalogue- they would have got bashed about because we played football every break on a tarmac surface.

Adidas Ringo was an upgrade; don’t remember owning a pair but think I had some Roms maybe in the 5th form. Left school in 82 and straight into Stan Smiths probably.

When I started secondary my best mate wore Adidas Premier football boots with a dash of green piping on the heel. They were pretty rare back then, but if you google them there’s zipppo on the internet- it’s as though they never existed.

In about 81 a few schoolmates went on a tour with their Youth Team to Holland, and came home with some real eyecatchers- Puma boots with orange sash, etc

 

Blimey, forgot all about Adidas Kick. Had a few pairs of those from about 12 - 15. When 12, would have been about the same time I got Adidas Beckenbauer football boots. Loved the luminous stripes and my first pair of boots with screw in studs. Who didn't feel the absolute dogs bollox running out onto the pitch in their shiny new boots?!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Here is a question > we did not ever wear this item but it was deemed by many in the late 1980s early 1990s from my memory .

i only ever saw red/blue ones ? recall a England trip and went with about 30+ chelsea and there must have been 30+ of these red/blue things in question .

i even recall lads up are neck of the woods struting round town in the day time with empty ones .

a  classic memory was been at headlingley for the cricket and after the final ball no end of lads streaming across the pitch ( all dirty Leeds ) with this said item and they all looked empty .

what is it ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/07/2020 at 15:54, ddrblue said:

Anyone recall Farah or was it fara slacks ,the only kegs that were not jeans or Lois cords or tacchini tracky bottoms to pass the test 

they was for sure a London thing ,used to nick mine from M&S with the old hang a pair over another pair on the rack ,walk out go back a hour or so later the Ask to try my special placed pair on the rack on in changing rooms .

bird thought i was only taking one pair in ,tried them on ,came out gave one pair back to the bird with other pair of farah slacks on under me jeans .

i Even recall taking a pair back in a M& bag  with no reciept since i half inched them Just before xmass .told the counter staff they was a xmass present that i wanted to return but had no reciept ,she was more than happy to had me back £23 from the TILL .

went out of pub and on the lash 

Couldn't have been Marks mate, my mrs worked for them over 20 years at their flagship store, and at that time they did not sell a single item that wasn't M&S or St Michael brand, food, drink, clothes the lot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


12 minutes ago, MKBlue said:

Couldn't have been Marks mate, my mrs worked for them over 20 years at their flagship store, and at that time they did not sell a single item that wasn't M&S or St Michael brand, food, drink, clothes the lot.

Agreed no young bloke went clothes shopping in Marks. Farah's I had a couple of pairs but you never wore them to football but would do clubbing as you had to have a pair of strides to get into every single nightclub in London in the early 80's. I can only think of one where you couldn't and that was Morgans by Paddington station mind you I was only 16 in 1982 so you wore them just in case. They tended to be sold in gentlemens outfitters where you could buy everything from school uniform to cheap suits Micks in Edgware Rd sold them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, ddrblue said:

Here is a question > we did not ever wear this item but it was deemed by many in the late 1980s early 1990s from my memory .

i only ever saw red/blue ones ? recall a England trip and went with about 30+ chelsea and there must have been 30+ of these red/blue things in question .

i even recall lads up are neck of the woods struting round town in the day time with empty ones .

a  classic memory was been at headlingley for the cricket and after the final ball no end of lads streaming across the pitch ( all dirty Leeds ) with this said item and they all looked empty .

what is it ? 

It sounds like a riddle mate what are you talking about clothes ? you have to be more specific than red/ blue ones 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, bluehaze said:

Agreed no young bloke went clothes shopping in Marks. Farah's I had a couple of pairs but you never wore them to football but would do clubbing as you had to have a pair of strides to get into every single nightclub in London in the early 80's. I can only think of one where you couldn't and that was Morgans by Paddington station mind you I was only 16 in 1982 so you wore them just in case. They tended to be sold in gentlemens outfitters where you could buy everything from school uniform to cheap suits Micks in Edgware Rd sold them.

Or if in Morden, Christopher Martin, Gentlemans Outfitters. School, Cubs/Brownies uniforms, Slazenger jumpers and Farahs. Would probably have started selling Gabicci in the late 90s.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 23/05/2020 at 04:28, chi blue said:

Yes can remember Donkey jackets being a bit trendy around 1980, with Dexy's song Geno they all wore Donkey jackets, mind you their biggest song come on Eileen they wore denim dungarees, don't remember those being trendy? Think I'll stick to my Tracksuit!;!!

I remember them being popular in the 70s too. A fellow student used to work part-time for Murphy and he used to go everywhere in his donkey jacket with the company name in stencil on the back. Don't know if anyone remembers their infamous green transits that used to tear round London back then. On Friday, every pub in Kilburn had two or three parked outside. Denim dungarees looked weird on blokes but some girls could carry them off well. The disco merchants would wear them but not so much down the Kings Road except for maybe the squaddies on a weekend. Oxford bags were popular with tank-tops and penny round collars too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Well, this is awkward!

awkward the office GIF

The Shed End Forum relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible without pop ups, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online and continue to keep the forum up, as over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this domain by switching it off. Some of the advert banners can actually be closed to avoid interferance of your experience on The Shed End.

Cheers now!

emma watson yes GIF

Alright already, It's off!