Sign in to follow this  
erskblue

The clothing we wore to the football back then.

Related image  30508511385_c7db8e3e7a_c.jpgOlympus Sports. Spent a fortune in the Glasgow Olympus Store from when it opened in Oct 1984

The Olympus Sports is just on the right of the picture, next to John Menzies. !

Edited by erskblue

On 29/08/2019 at 12:24, ddrblue said:

The list was endless ,fila,ellesse,lacoste,Peter storm,Pringle,Benetton,Lois,fu’s,ceruti 1881,Burberry,next,addias samba,new balance,Nike,addias shoes,leather jacket and I know I have missed untold.

Basically I would beg ,borrow,steal or buy to keep up with the Joneses with whatever ever item of clobber as I tried 

every trick / stunt in the book.i would pay £££’s for whatever item off the shelf ,to then sell said item sometime down the road

for £’ s which Would go to a new bit of clobber at £££’ s. For the life of me I wish that I had never sold on a few of my prized items even thou I could not get into them today due to timber factor.

that reminds me did I mention timberland,kickers,hardcore,crew neck jumpers .

saying all the above and it was a massive part of my life back then which brought my police record  round my neck as that came with the cloth ,it really worry’s me when I see lads of yesterday who are dads today dressing their kids in the latest FV clobber I just don’t get it 

great thread by the way 

Remember my paper round between the ages of 14 to 17 I got paid £13 a week, but Pringle jumpers were £35/£40, then between cse/ o levels and going into the 6th form for a year had an extended holiday after exams and worked in a packing factory for 2/3 months, getting £50 a week, it was Christmas every Friday on pay day, had Pringle and Lyle and Scott jumpers coming out my ears

26 minutes ago, chi blue said:

Remember my paper round between the ages of 14 to 17 I got paid £13 a week, but Pringle jumpers were £35/£40, then between cse/ o levels and going into the 6th form for a year had an extended holiday after exams and worked in a packing factory for 2/3 months, getting £50 a week, it was Christmas every Friday on pay day, had Pringle and Lyle and Scott jumpers coming out my ears

Ah student working ! 

I worked summer 85 and 86.  June and July and 2 weeks in early August in a factory warehouse. 

I got the job, as my mum was employed in the office as a senior wages clerkess.

There were about 8 of us students working  during these 2.5 summer months. Covering the full time workers various holidays.

Loading and unloading vans. 40 hr week and a take home pay of £115.

In fact from memory,I took home about £80ish in my wage packet .Yes a brown enveloped wage packet, after deductions.

A fair amount of my wages went on the 'football clothing' in that Glasgow Olympus Sports also spent it on records and actual sportswear for my running !

Edited by erskblue

You were lucky.

I used to get up half an hour before I went to bed to dig holes for a fencing company. When we dug hole we had to lift 1 tonne concrete posts from lorry to said hole and then back fill. We did this every day of our summer holiday for sixpence a day and the foreman used to flog us like a rented pony. At the end of the summer holiday we used to go down Woolworths and try their own brand button down shirts.

But we was 'appy!

1 hour ago, Andy North said:

You were lucky.

I used to get up half an hour before I went to bed to dig holes for a fencing company. When we dug hole we had to lift 1 tonne concrete posts from lorry to said hole and then back fill. We did this every day of our summer holiday for sixpence a day and the foreman used to flog us like a rented pony. At the end of the summer holiday we used to go down Woolworths and try their own brand button down shirts.

But we was 'appy!

Ha. If anyone could stick up Python at the Hollywood Bowl, Four Yorkshireman...Me phones playing up.

3 hours ago, Andy North said:

You were lucky.

But we was 'appy!

You were lucky lad we had nowt first time I ever tasted meat was when I bit my tongue.

I've been racking my brain and the last thing I remember buying from that era was 1984 a Burberry jumper in Haymarket. After that I honestly can't remember the casual thing was finished in 85 as far as I remember. I think Kappa was the final nail in the coffin for me. Wasn't there two versions of Lacoste Izod and Chemise ?

On 06/09/2019 at 13:50, bluehaze said:

I've been racking my brain and the last thing I remember buying from that era was 1984 a Burberry jumper in Haymarket. After that I honestly can't remember the casual thing was finished in 85 as far as I remember. I think Kappa was the final nail in the coffin for me. Wasn't there two versions of Lacoste Izod and Chemise ?

Bugger me that reminds me that I still have my red chemise Lacoste  type of roll neck  jumper effort .its in the shed in a box 

but I would never be able to get back into it .

Great thread this, as an old 80s soul boy/casual who happened to go to Chelsea as well I remember all of the clothes and trainers mentioned. It was a youth movement which the media vwas absolutely clueless about and it has allowed a lot of rubbish to be published about it in recent years. One myth is that scousers invented'' casual...well that just isnt true, therre were two looks for starters...1- the tennis brands (Fila, tacchini, ellesse etc) with bleached jeans and trainers and then there was 2-The soulboy casual look, Golf Jumpers farahs rollnecks worn with loafers for going out to clubs and discos and with bleached and frayed lois with trainers for football.

The scousers may well have popularised the 1st look that is true but the 2nd look probably pre dated it springing up originally from the soul crowd and before that the black lads who were involved with soundsystem battles etc and already wore elements of it (slacks and Gabicci knits).

There was a short time perhaps less than a football season when the two looks overlapped in London then it all moved on again with London lads moving on to more expensive gear like Armani, burberry aquascutum jaeger etc...than after a while the paninaro look crept in and it was all timberlands, chipie C17 and Best Company etc but what most people seem to regard as casual (look number 1) was over and done in London well before 1985. You can see it in the photos of that era that the look number 2 lasted far longer but as mentioned mutated into something else eventually. 

Being over 50 it's hard to get away with tracktops these days but the polo /shirt/smart jumper with jeans and smart trainers is pretty enduring...viva la casuals...

19 minutes ago, bluehaze said:

Another item of clothing that I had don't know if it's been mentioned on here are the Benneton rugby tops the white and blue ones. There was also a green and white one although you didn't see many of them.

See the source image

Had completely forgotten about them. Cheers for the reminder.

10 hours ago, Richard P said:

Just looked at the Pringle website and their top jumpers are over 600£!! I bet paper round wages haven’t kept up!!

£600 ! Wow !!:ohmy:

That a is serious money for anything, never mind a Pringle jumper.:biggrin:

Can't see paper rounds having kept up to be honest.

11 hours ago, bluehaze said:

Another one Lois Cords which you can still buy 

https://www.80scasualclassics.co.uk/search/lois-m10/lois

There’s a coincidence. Got talking to a fella this week who was wearing Lois Cords he got from Stuart’s online. Thinking of investing in some meself- they don’t look too much like your recreating lost youth either.

12 hours ago, fillerywhereru said:

Great thread this, as an old 80s soul boy/casual who happened to go to Chelsea as well I remember all of the clothes and trainers mentioned. It was a youth movement which the media vwas absolutely clueless about and it has allowed a lot of rubbish to be published about it in recent years. One myth is that scousers invented'' casual...well that just isnt true, therre were two looks for starters...1- the tennis brands (Fila, tacchini, ellesse etc) with bleached jeans and trainers and then there was 2-The soulboy casual look, Golf Jumpers farahs rollnecks worn with loafers for going out to clubs and discos and with bleached and frayed lois with trainers for football.

The scousers may well have popularised the 1st look that is true but the 2nd look probably pre dated it springing up originally from the soul crowd and before that the black lads who were involved with soundsystem battles etc and already wore elements of it (slacks and Gabicci knits).

There was a short time perhaps less than a football season when the two looks overlapped in London then it all moved on again with London lads moving on to more expensive gear like Armani, burberry aquascutum jaeger etc...than after a while the paninaro look crept in and it was all timberlands, chipie C17 and Best Company etc but what most people seem to regard as casual (look number 1) was over and done in London well before 1985. You can see it in the photos of that era that the look number 2 lasted far longer but as mentioned mutated into something else eventually. 

Being over 50 it's hard to get away with tracktops these days but the polo /shirt/smart jumper with jeans and smart trainers is pretty enduring...viva la casuals...

At secondary school September 79 there were a good few wearing black Farahs, College or Kingsway shoes with the metal bar across the instep, black Slazenger jumpers- one kid had a Pringle.

Summer 82 went to Greg Edwards at the Lyceum for the first time- the word casual hadn’t been invented, but it was a sea of diamond Pringles- black and white lads.

That was fashion central with loads of football lads. I never saw it kick off there but it was very tribal. Didn’t help when Greg Edwards used to go “let’s hear you North London, East London, West London, South London” so you worked out who was who- The biggest cheer was always South London.

Good points about the mid 80s transition. Camper shoes, Pods, Chevignon- had a wicked white, green and black Chipie jumper in 87 which was a ton back then.

Ps Any old Soul Boys out there next Saturday it’s Soul Affair at the Burlington Arms Mayfair- 3PM- 10PM- pay at the door. All the old crowd ( you’ve seen younger Cliff Richard audiences)

All that’s missing is an XR3 parked outside with Wayne and Tracey written across the windscreen and a JFM sticker.

Edited by Ewell CFC

South London May 82- loads of wedge haircuts. My mate George on the far right wearing standard uniform of Adidas raincoat, Farahs and Stan Smiths.

Those raincoats were nearly always that colour. Picked up a white one in Brighton back then.

32 minutes ago, Ewell CFC said:

At secondary school September 79 there were a good few wearing black Farahs, College or Kingsway shoes with the metal bar across the instep, black Slazenger jumpers- one kid had a Pringle.

Summer 82 went to Greg Edwards at the Lyceum for the first time- the word casual hadn’t been invented, but it was a sea of diamond Pringles- black and white lads.

That was fashion central with loads of football lads. I never saw it kick off there but it was very tribal. Didn’t help when Greg Edwards used to go “let’s hear you North London, East London, West London, South London” so you worked out who was who- The biggest cheer was always South London.

Good points about the mid 80s transition. Camper shoes, Pods, Chevignon- had a wicked white, green and black Chipie jumper in 87 which was a ton back then.

Ps Any old Soul Boys out there next Saturday it’s Soul Affair at the Burlington Arms Mayfair- 3PM- 10PM- pay at the door. All the old crowd ( you’ve seen younger Cliff Richard audiences)

All that’s missing is an XR3 parked outside with Wayne and Tracey written across the windscreen and a JFM sticker.

Image result for xr3i There you go. No windscreen stickers...