Sign in to follow this  
erskblue

The clothing we wore to the football back then.

15 hours ago, Stretford Ender said:

The one on the left looks like David Moyes

My first job was at Victoria coach station from 76-78 and I was amazed to see the Jocks tumbling off of the overnight coaches from Glasgow and Edinburgh, drunk as lords, on the  Wednesday before the game, it seemed that the whole of central London was subject to a tartan invasion for the best part of a week.

6 hours ago, MKBlue said:

My first job was at Victoria coach station from 76-78 and I was amazed to see the Jocks tumbling off of the overnight coaches from Glasgow and Edinburgh, drunk as lords, on the  Wednesday before the game, it seemed that the whole of central London was subject to a tartan invasion for the best part of a week.

I trust things got better after that. I mean, what a sh*t hole!

7 hours ago, MKBlue said:

KrJBZBF.jpg

Not wishing to stereotype the boys north of the border, but here's a sample of what Aberdeen left in the away end after their European Cup game at Liverpool in 1980!  

1 hour ago, Ewan Hoozarmi said:

KrJBZBF.jpg

Not wishing to stereotype the boys north of the border, but here's a sample of what Aberdeen left in the away end after their European Cup game at Liverpool in 1980!  

A very good class of supporters then. No bucky to be seen.

3 hours ago, Ewan Hoozarmi said:

KrJBZBF.jpg

PictureThis Scotland on Twitter: "Sweeping up after the Wales v ...

Anfield Oct 1977. The morning after Scotland beat Wales to qualify for Argentina 78.

The 'alcoholic litter' left by the Scottish support on the Kop

17 hours ago, Backbiter said:

I trust things got better after that. I mean, what a sh*t hole!

No argument from me on that score mate, that part of London at the time seemed to attract every deadbeat and stumblebum from the whole country, but on the plus side me and my mate big Dave from Roundshaw could go in and do absolutely nothing on a Saturday morning, time and a half obviously, before jumping on the number 11 to the Bridge.

11 hours ago, erskblue said:

PictureThis Scotland on Twitter: "Sweeping up after the Wales v ...

Anfield Oct 1977. The morning after Scotland beat Wales to qualify for Argentina 78.

The 'alcoholic litter' left by the Scottish support on the Kop

Not forgetting the classic example of 70s fashionable footwear at the front of the pic, a Freeman Hardy and Willis number at a guess.

14 hours ago, Stretford Ender said:

A very good class of supporters then. No bucky to be seen.

Pretty sure that would have been on the 'drink's menu' to consume !

Just now, erskblue said:

Pretty sure that would have been on the 'drink's menu' to consume !

Replace the bottles with cans of McCewans, Youngers or anything else that could be purchased at a mainline station back then and it could be the view from any football special window in the 70s.

3 minutes ago, MKBlue said:

Replace the bottles with cans of McCewans, Youngers or anything else that could be purchased at a mainline station back then and it could be the view from any football special window in the 70s.

Younger's Tartan Special is a Scots retro hit | Tartan, Sweet ...

I did use to drink this stuff in my youth before I saw the light and started drinking real ale,

Went to the last Home International v Scotland at Wembley.

Walking down Wembley Way ankle deep in piss reminded me of that 70s song Yellow River.

Massive ruck at the Tunnel End. First time we got our act together

17 hours ago, Ewan Hoozarmi said:

KrJBZBF.jpg

Seeing as they were in the mecca of thieving surely most of that booze was nicked I can't imagine any Scotsman going into an offie and asking for a bottle of Pomagne 😁

2 hours ago, MKBlue said:

No argument from me on that score mate, that part of London at the time seemed to attract every deadbeat and stumblebum from the whole country, but on the plus side me and my mate big Dave from Roundshaw could go in and do absolutely nothing on a Saturday morning, time and a half obviously, before jumping on the number 11 to the Bridge.

Walked from Victoria to the Bridge once early 80s. No District Line due to Bomb Scare- loads of the crowd in same boat and arrived midway through first half.

Dont imagine there were many pubs in London with a higher turnover than the big one opposite the coach station.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Boyne said:

I've posted this picture in another thread but I'm sure that those of us of a certain age would have worn these back in the day.

Image may contain: possible text that says 'Blakey's SHOE PROTECTORS'

Didn't work on DMs though.

Edited by Stretford Ender

On 05/05/2020 at 04:49, MKBlue said:

I've done the overnight Manchester to Victoria once or twice when I was a starving student. Had some interesting fellow passengers. In those days, working girls from the north would go down to London for the day. Those with money would  jump on the train. Those who were not so well off took the coach.

2 hours ago, Ewell CFC said:

Walked from Victoria to the Bridge once early 80s. No District Line due to Bomb Scare- loads of the crowd in same boat and arrived midway through first half.

Dont imagine there were many pubs in London with a higher turnover than the big one opposite the coach station.

That would have been the Traveller's Rest, never much used by any staff at VCS, pubs of choice were usually the Red Lion, opposite the coach exit, the Orange Tree or the Prince of Wales about a 5 minute walk away, never used to drink anywhere near the train station the Shakespeare and the rest were pretty grotty boozers, and there were so many better pubs if you took a stroll towards Sloane Square.

21 minutes ago, Stretford Ender said:

I've done the overnight Manchester to Victoria once or twice when I was a starving student. Had some interesting fellow passengers. In those days, working girls from the north would go down to London for the day. Those with money would  jump on the train. ThosI e who were not so well off took the coach.

I would go into the numerous fiddles that boosted my pay packet significantly at the time, but perhaps best to leave them in the past, it was one of those places where everybody was at it, especially the big garage behind the Travellers that eventually became the arrivals point. Tank of diesel for private operators, cut price coach washing and cleaning, cleaning goods, workwear, it was like one big car boot sale during the late 70s, and the less said about the left luggage office the better, a few people who worked in there paid off their mortages with the proceeds, they're probably all long gone now as it was a bit of an old boys job so I don't think I'm in danger of harming anyone.

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Stretford Ender said:

I've done the overnight Manchester to Victoria once or twice when I was a starving student. Had some interesting fellow passengers. In those days, working girls from the north would go down to London for the day. Those with money would  jump on the train. Those who were not so well off took the coach.

I had a few very enjoyable afternoons with one of the hostesses off of the Manchester coach, this was when National Express introduced coaches with refreshment trollies for certain destinations. They used to have use of a local, cheap hotel to rest up before the return journey, and I'll leave it at that.

Edited by MKBlue

CTJyI1dUEAEBugi.jpg

Chelsea getting ready to invade the pitch v Barnsley on 7th May 1984

Posted on Twitter.

Again, apologies for size of picture.

Posted it on 'Vintage Pics' thread too.  Hope nobody minds.

On 07/05/2020 at 06:03, erskblue said:

CTJyI1dUEAEBugi.jpg

Chelsea getting ready to invade the pitch v Barnsley on 7th May 1984

Posted on Twitter.

Again, apologies for size of picture.

Posted it on 'Vintage Pics' thread too.  Hope nobody minds.

My Mullett hair cut is somewhere in the distance ready to get on the pitch!