Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
erskblue

The clothing we wore to the football back then.

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, erskblue said:

EVyx5RZXgAAY1pq.jpg

'Chelsea in Brighton 83'

That's the caption.

'Oldskoolawaydays'. Posted on Twitter

Again hope nobody minds.

You can't beat a good tracksuit top, don't need to iron, sling it on with jeans or shorts, wore an old retro Sergio tachini round Tesco's this morning

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, chi blue said:

wore an old retro Sergio tachini round Tesco's this morning

Seriously ? wow I haven't worn one since 1984 no offence Chi but tracksuits are for the young aren't they ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bluehaze said:

Seriously ? wow I haven't worn one since 1984 no offence Chi but tracksuits are for the young aren't they ?

Mate, I'm Peter Pan!! To fair I don't go round with full Adidas tracksuit on, and Gold chains round my neck, doing Gangster rap (think thats what the youngster call it) up the Tesco Aisles! Just a nice little old skool Sergio track top on.

Edited by chi blue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chi blue said:

Mate, I'm Peter Pan!! To fair I don't go round with full Adidas tracksuit on, and Gold chains round my neck, doing Gangster rap (think thats what the youngster call it) up the Tesco Aisles! Just a nice little old skool Sergio track top on.

I'm not keen on track suits either, I was never that trendy in my teens whereas my brother looked good in everything and I can remember him wearing Diadora and Sergio Tachini when I still had M & S trainers!

I've always associated tracksuits with some disreputable teams up North yet each to their own and suspect your tracksuits look somewhat more stylish. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, chi blue said:

Mate, I'm Peter Pan!! To fair I don't go round with full Adidas tracksuit on, and Gold chains round my neck, doing Gangster rap (think thats what the youngster call it) up the Tesco Aisles! Just a nice little old skool Sergio track top on.

These are the only tracksuit tops I would even contemplate wearing Weller's a big fan but they are really expensive.

https://www.magliamo.be/product-category/casual/track-tops/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bluehaze said:

These are the only tracksuit tops I would even contemplate wearing Weller's a big fan but they are really expensive.

https://www.magliamo.be/product-category/casual/track-tops/

Molteni Arcore Eddy Merckx Throwback Cycling Jersey – Unique ...Molteni Cycling Team, Pursuit of a Ruthless Panache | Prendas Ciclismo

Great shout.

Molteni were the cycling team that the great Eddy Merckx cycled for at his peak.

Okay I admit to liking the Peugeot team tracksuit top, but as you say really expensive !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 09/05/2020 at 13:47, chi blue said:

You can't beat a good tracksuit top, don't need to iron, sling it on with jeans or shorts, wore an old retro Sergio tachini round Tesco's this morning

On the TV thread I posted that I've been rewatching The Sopranos and all the wise guys are terrible dressers. Middle aged overweight men wearing full tracksuits the top open to reveal a medallion and a vest. Well it seems it's a look also adopted over the border. I'm rewatching Breaking Bad and the Don of the cartel is wearing a hideous full yellow and white Tacchini and Adidas sliders even though it's sweltering hot and he's sitting by a swimming pool.

We could get away with it when we were young and personally I think a full tracksuit is on par with wearing a full kit (not that I'm saying you do either Chi 😁). This is from that dreadful remake of The Firm.

See the source image

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, bluehaze said:

On the TV thread I posted that I've been rewatching The Sopranos and all the wise guys are terrible dressers. Middle aged overweight men wearing full tracksuits the top open to reveal a medallion and a vest. Well it seems it's a look also adopted over the border. I'm rewatching Breaking Bad and the Don of the cartel is wearing a hideous full yellow and white Tacchini and Adidas sliders even though it's sweltering hot and he's sitting by a swimming pool.

We could get away with it when we were young and personally I think a full tracksuit is on par with wearing a full kit (not that I'm saying you do either Chi 😁). This is from that dreadful remake of The Firm.

See the source image

Thankfully I don't wear a full tracksuit!! Only a track top as easier than having to iron a jumper everytime I pop out. As for full kit, I wouldn't be seen at the bridge these days in a replica shirt, let alone full kit!! Anyway I'm off to Tescos in a minute, but have now got a complex regarding track tops, so am going to put on my white John travolta suit and medallion!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, chi blue said:

Thankfully I don't wear a full tracksuit!! Only a track top as easier than having to iron a jumper everytime I pop out. As for full kit, I wouldn't be seen at the bridge these days in a replica shirt, let alone full kit!! Anyway I'm off to Tescos in a minute, but have now got a complex regarding track tops, so am going to put on my white John travolta suit and medallion!!!

When wearing full tracksuit, vest, medallion you also need a hairy chest with plenty of grey hairs on show 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bluehaze said:

On the TV thread I posted that I've been rewatching The Sopranos and all the wise guys are terrible dressers. Middle aged overweight men wearing full tracksuits the top open to reveal a medallion and a vest. Well it seems it's a look also adopted over the border. I'm rewatching Breaking Bad and the Don of the cartel is wearing a hideous full yellow and white Tacchini and Adidas sliders even though it's sweltering hot and he's sitting by a swimming pool.

We could get away with it when we were young and personally I think a full tracksuit is on par with wearing a full kit (not that I'm saying you do either Chi 😁). This is from that dreadful remake of The Firm.

See the source image

Same as you rewatching Sopranos with them all outside the Pork Store in trackies looking like they’ve just come out of a Benidorm Karoake Bar. ( Series 4 there a large dollop of Fila product placement occurring)

I was in Wetherspoons round the back of Lime St Station Liverpool in the summer. A fella who caught my notice was about 70 with wearing a full Adidas tracksuit with socks tucked in and white Lacoste trainers.

As a rule, I don’t wear anything with the label on the outside, other than the odd polo shirt at work.

Other things a bit naff in middle age IMO are ironic T-Shirts like the one with the arrow “ I’m with this idiot” and tight skinny jeans.

Ps anyone remember a geyser who used to go to away games in the 80s known as No Coat John, for obvious reasons?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ewell CFC said:

I’m with this idiot” and tight skinny jeans.

 

Beergut and skinny jeans doesn't get much worse than that. Another thing I find really naff now our generation were the first to wear trainers and I do like trainers especially Adidas and Puma not Nike bit to 90's for me but middle aged men in Converse is a massive no no. Once you get married or settle down the Converse have to go they were smart and scruffy at the same time if you got piss on them oh well they'd be fine for the next rave you were going to.

In the last few years I've seen the Hairy Bikers and Peter Jones from Dragon's Den wearing Converse and it just looks wrong especially on someone like Jones who's probably worn sensible (expensive) brogues all his life.

Edited by bluehaze

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, bluehaze said:

Beergut and skinny jeans doesn't get much worse than that. Another thing I find really naff now our generation were the first to wear trainers and I do like trainers especially Adidas and Puma not Nike bit to 90's for me but middle aged men in Converse is a massive no no. Once you get married or settle down the Converse have to go they were smart and scruffy at the same time if you got piss on them oh well they'd be fine for the next rave you were going to.

In the last few years I've seen the Hairy Bikers and Peter Jones from Dragon's Den wearing Converse and it just looks wrong especially on someone like Jones who's probably worn sensible (expensive) brogues all his life.

Converse? I only heard of them a few years ago as my teenage girls wear them, I thought they were for girls, or at a push skater boys? I'll stick to my Gazelle's I think. Have to say I don't like round neck T shirts full stop, polo shirts for me all day long. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, chi blue said:

Converse? I only heard of them a few years ago as my teenage girls wear them, I thought they were for girls, or at a push skater boys? I'll stick to my Gazelle's I think. Have to say I don't like round neck T shirts full stop, polo shirts for me all day long. 

89-91 very popular in the rave scene and now I think about it I did buy a full tracksuit from Mash in Tottenham Court Rd in 1990 mind you I never wore the whole thing ha ha. Converse came back in about 2005 I would guess as I said definitely for young people. I agree about polo shirts they keep their shape and look much smarter than t-shirts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bluehaze said:

I agree about polo shirts they keep their shape and look much smarter than t-shirts

Lacoste. I had a few of those. Silver tab levis and Nike trainers too. Had some Lonsdale but mostly for gym work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shoes...Loakes, boots...Loakes or Timberland. Plimsolls...for the gym, cycling, walking the dogs, nothing else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/05/2020 at 14:19, MKBlue said:

Shoes...Loakes, boots...Loakes or Timberland. Plimsolls...for the gym, cycling, walking the dogs, nothing else.

Fair play to you MK I haven't heard the word plimsolls for about 45 years !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, bluehaze said:

Fair play to you MK I haven't heard the word plimsolls for about 45 years !

 A good friend, now sadly departed, and a Spurs fan but a decent chap nonetheless, was obsessed with his Gazelle collection and would go off on one whenever I asked him why a grown man would choose to wear plimsolls to go out in. It's just me though, even back in the casual days I never wore trainers, always preferring a nice pair of lace up ankle boots, or Chelsea, (obviously) boots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MKBlue said:

 A good friend, now sadly departed, and a Spurs fan but a decent chap nonetheless, was obsessed with his Gazelle collection and would go off on one whenever I asked him why a grown man would choose to wear plimsolls to go out in. It's just me though, even back in the casual days I never wore trainers, always preferring a nice pair of lace up ankle boots, or Chelsea, (obviously) boots.

I always associate plimsolls with those black efforts with the elastic bit on top we had to wear for PE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stretford Ender said:

I always associate plimsolls with those black efforts with the elastic bit on top we had to wear for PE.

Same here and up in the West of Scotland we called them 'sand shoe's. No idea why.

Oddly enough I remember 'Dunlop Green Flash' shoes being worn by some to the football.

Not by me, I was still getting over my old  dear buying me the Patrick Cagoule !:shok::biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...