coco

Chelsea vs Sheff Utd (PL) SATURDAY 31st Aug 15:00 GMT

Poor sub's from Frank - great player, nice guy but a long way from being a top manager.  Stupid substitution taking Kovacic off for the kid.

2-1 down, 10 minutes to go, attack has fizzled out - just shore up the frigging defence and see it out.  Crazy, crazy decisions.

And as for Zouma - words fail me - an utter clod of a player.

Disappointed with Lampard.

Putting Gilmour on when it’s looking like Sheffield could score? Plus was there any need taking Barkley off early? I thought he looked better in 2nd half.

Overall it’s a terrible performance from the players and the manager. Hopefully Rudiger will make a huge difference, and Reece James.

It feels like a loss. Zouma is so unaware, the second the ball went to Azpi's side, he should've stuck to the Mousset like glue. That's what Terry would have done.

I feel for Azpi. He has been a great servant to the club but his form is dropping like Ivanovic used to. It's time we have a serious look into the old guard and be prepared to cut our losses or reinvest as soon as we're able to get transfers in. 

Willian is supposed to be our best and most senior attacking force but all he does is dribble to nowhere or slows down the play. He thinks he's Hazard when he tries to jink pass players but his strength is actually just doing it like Robben, go with pace, find space then shoot! Bloody **** how has he not figured that out after a decade of football!

Barkley's options in his head is like pass to Jorginho, pass to Jorginho, pass to Jorginho, dribble, shoot and pass to Jorginho. 

Frank needs to take the blame for this 2nd half showing as well. He needs to lock the game down first before thinking of putting in fanservice. Didn't need to put Batshy, Gilmour and Willian. I felt that he could have took a page out of Jose's book and substituted Barkley for Christensen and changed to a 352 or moved Zouma higher up to be a CDM.

2 minutes ago, Slojo said:

When is Reece James back? 2 weeks? 

I can't wait for him and Rudi to come back, Azpilicueta has gone severely downhill, almost every goal is coming from his side. Zouma is a ticking timebomb at the back, he's not good enough. I still think selling Luiz was a mistake despite his recent performances at Arsenal, we've banked too much on this defence something you can't take risks with. 

I said it at the time. I don't know what happened with Luiz and Lampard, but it's massive blow losing him. I think those celebrating selling him were wrong to do so. He may devide opinion, but he's big game player and adds much needed experience to that defence.

I also think Lampard has made his first major error as manager when it comes to our CB's. Zouma seems to be his favourite of the 3 we had available at the start of the season, and I just don't see why. I actually thought Tomori was better than him today, Zouma constantly looks like a mistake waiting to happen. Zouma should be 4th choice when they are all fit, I don't know what Lampard see's in him, he's just not good enough.

Posted (edited)

Very very disappointing. We had a 2 nil lead but wasn’t really deserved. We look very fragile at the back but that has to do with the protection from midfield as well, which without Kante is nonexistent. A lot of Jorginho fans here, I’m not one of them, I think he offers little.

young team, young manager, this is not going to be an easy season. Hopefully the injured players coming back wil help our stability because we look like conceding every time we’re attacked.

Edited by goose

I am trying not to overreact... Kante, Pedro,RLC, CHO, and Rudiger were all injured. The team will look very different soon. My guess is Zouma is no longer a regular starter when Zouma comes back, Kante is obviously a game-changer, CHO will allow Mount to play in the midfield along with RLC, and Pedro is a pretty solid substitute. 

It is just that losses like this, when the problems are very clear, can be quite frustrating.

2 minutes ago, Sindre said:

Really tough result considering we have Wolves away and then Liverpool next.

Lose those and you can bet the media starts talking.

I reckon we’ll beat Wolves, Liverpool, we gave them a good game the other week so I’m not too worried.

When is Rudiger back?

1 minute ago, dansubrosa said:

I reckon we’ll beat Wolves, Liverpool, we gave them a good game the other week so I’m not too worried.

When is Rudiger back?

wouldnt be to sure of that

both of their goals came from our right side - you can bet it's not coincidence, Azpi should do better in preventing the crosses

expect other teams to target the same side

7 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

I said it at the time. I don't know what happened with Luiz and Lampard, but it's massive blow losing him. I think those celebrating selling him were wrong to do so. He may devide opinion, but he's big game player and adds much needed experience to that defence.

I also think Lampard has made his first major error as manager when it comes to our CB's. Zouma seems to be his favourite of the 3 we had available at the start of the season, and I just don't see why. I actually thought Tomori was better than him today, Zouma constantly looks like a mistake waiting to happen. Zouma should be 4th choice when they are all fit, I don't know what Lampard see's in him, he's just not good enough.

Luiz has experience and is solid at the back when he has protection, either way I know he would be much better than what Zouma offers, even Christensen. 

Just look at all of our games since pre season, we concede at least 2 goals a game, it's not good enough, when has that ever been the case at Chelsea? I'm hoping Rudiger massively changes things with his presence there but you've still got to rely on Christensen picking up his old form under Conte. I'm not writing Christensen off, I'm just saying he's still a fresh player who can make mistakes. As for Zouma I don't think he'll never be Chelsea material. 

I think it's just a bunch of things we are missing, Kante 100%, we have been really unfortunate with the injuries this season. 

In the first half, Sheffield didn't really target our right side of defence and it seems to me teams have sussed out our defensive frailties. Put a long ball in towards a fast winger with a good cross at Azpi's side then have the striker drop back a bit before running behind Zouma. 

With a tactic like that, even with Kante on, it bypasses our midfield too easily and immediately throws our defensive shape into chaos.

Posted (edited)

In real time, I thought Tomori should have intercepted the cross that led to the second goal. It looked like he could have had it but pulled off expecting it to be dealt with. 

All of this talk about "experience", but what good is experience if it doesn't deliver. I thought Barkley and Azpilicueta were the two weak links today, and they may have been the two players in the starting XI who had the most EPL starts. 

Sure, we're lacking experience in a lot of places, but we're lacking quality in several too. 

Not a ton of options right now, so I'm not being critical of the team itself, just some of the ignorant talking heads in the media. 

While I'm upset, I'm still enjoying this season as a transitional year where we find out who is good enough amongst our own, and then have a fortune to go out and fortify next summer. 

We just have Champions League the wrong year.

Edited by Skinnedy

Just now, Sindre said:

Really tough result considering we have Wolves away and then Liverpool next.

Lose those and you can bet the media starts talking.

The worrying thing about those two games is that it can be argued that they are harder than any of our games we have played so far this season. I know it's still very early in the season, but I'm getting more and more worried. I just don't think we look very good. We have flashes of good play, but most of the league are good at certain moments in a game, I actually think we look poor more often than we look good. We were good for 30 minutes against United, 25 minutes against Leicester, 45 minutes in the second half against Norwich and not good at any point today.

Rudiger and Kante can't return soon enough, it feels like without them, we will struggle to finish in the top 10. Possibly Loftus-Cheek too.

3 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

The worrying thing about those two games is that it can be argued that they are harder than any of our games we have played so far this season. I know it's still very early in the season, but I'm getting more and more worried. I just don't think we look very good. We have flashes of good play, but most of the league are good at certain moments in a game, I actually think we look poor more often than we look good. We were good for 30 minutes against United, 25 minutes against Leicester, 45 minutes in the second half against Norwich and not good at any point today.

Rudiger and Kante can't return soon enough, it feels like without them, we will struggle to finish in the top 10. Possibly Loftus-Cheek too.

I agree but I feel that we are banking too much on the return of our injured players more than looking at the problems at hand and dealing with them.

The flaws are too apparent that everyone can see them. Frank needs to be more flexible, Conte (as annoying as he can be) at least had the humility to rework his tactics (in the first year) to make sure the team wins even if it meant getting some stick at first

You know we’re so unlucky with injuries when pretty much our best players is out. 

Kante, Rudiger, Hudson Odoi & Loftus Cheek. There’s Pedro too.

But at least the injuries has given Mount the chance to keep his place in the team. He has been fantastic so far, today he wasn’t that great.

Lampard really has to start winning games like today though. I can accept not beating the likes of Leicester, but Sheffield United, come on.

Really disappointing end. We didn’t play well today at all, even the first half was down to a few good individual performances. But it’s going to be that kind of season.

Was good to see Gilmore getting minutes but not sure that was the time to do it, even though he did ok.

Makes the journey home a bit longer.

All this talk of playing youngsters has gone to Frank’s head. Really poor to drop Christensen today. Starting Zouma and Tomori looked like an accident waiting to happen. Bringing on Gilmour and Bats when we were clinging on made no sense.

Don’t know what Frank said at half time. Clearly no one was listening. That was a shocking and disjointed second half. The subs were downright inept. Hooking Kovacic and Barkley was disastrous. 

Really prepared to give Lampard a break. But that was a pretty inept managerial display. Didn’t do himself any favours. Hope he’s a fast learner. 

16 minutes ago, CFC-Forever said:

Could be a critical blow this one. The Lampard out crowd really finding their voice now across social media. No excuses today, I'm afraid. 

You have to be an utter d**khead to be calling for Frank's head after five games in charge as coach.

I'm enjoying the journey despite the setbacks we've had. It's great to see youth integrated into the first team which is a big tick for mine and we've some played some good attacking football along the way.

The defence is the big issue, but this has been no secret since the opening day of the season. It's something we won't be able to address immediately so I suspect more pain will come unfortunately.

Once Rudiger, Kante, CHO and RLC return to the first team, we will undoubtedly be a better team.

The potential in this team excites me greatly but it's a work in progress and it will take time for it to fully flourish. I had us finishing anywhere between 4th to 8th this season and I stand by that prediction.

Feels like a loss having been 2-0 up, a game that should have been an easy win against relegation favourites was made to be a real struggle.. Awful defending once again and complete lack of control of the game.

SFL has to take some flack taking off Kovacic (who was probably our best player) for an unproven kid when we needed to see out a lead was extremely naive.

Is that 9 goals conceded in 4 games now? That's really poor and 4 of those against teams we really should be smashing. Zouma should never be a starter he's simply not good enough.. I was impressed with Tomori however.

Plenty for Frank to think about hard to go into international break on the back of a disappointing result but with our injuries at the moment it's probably the right time.. UTC.

Annoying not winning the game but I knew this season will be a rollercoaster ride. Even inside games. We just can't play 90 minutes of football. It is understandable with such young side. Sheffield is much more a team albeit with less quality.

5 points from 4 games is not good but it is not a catastrophe. Glad we have 2 weeks of and get back CHO, Rudiger, James, Kante and Pedro.

Up and down, up and down.