coco

Chelsea vs Sheff Utd (PL) SATURDAY 31st Aug 15:00 GMT

Really disappointed with every midfielder/wide player today. There was absolutely no service for Tammy. His two goals were based on him having predatory instincts and being opportunistic, which I love. He should be very happy with his performance and I am excited at all the progression he has already made in this young season.

The silver lining for me is that this whole midfield will hopefully be second choice players once we get back to full strength with Loftus-Cheek, Kante, Hudson-Odoi, and Pedro.

On way back from a game that at half time I thought we would stroll to a 4-0 win.

I think we are too open at the back, maybe instead of trying to attack with Dave and Emerson we should play a five at the back or go 442  let the four defenders defend.

Once everyone's fit we will be ok.

Need Rudi and Kante as soon as.

One thing this season won't be is boring.

Frank will sort it.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if James-Rudiger-Tomori-Emerson is our first choice defence by the end of the season.

Shame we got pegged back, but take a bow Tammy Abraham. What a fantastic response after the penalty miss against Liverpool.

When this team/squad clicks it's going to be incredible.

Why bring on a youngsters (Gilmore) when it stands 2-1? He never played it the Premiere league and it only seems naive. 

Idk but Lampard should know experience is key to a winning team. 

It just seems some wasted three points with 2-0 up. 

2-0 up at home against a team that just got promoted and lose the advantage? Sorry, no excuse here. We don’t know how to hold on to an advantage and poor substitute decision by Frank. I’m happy with playing the youth and giving frank slag, but don’t play Zouma, don’t bring on William and don’t make them run out of batteries in the first 30 minutes. A lot to learn, but if we can’t beat this lot we are not for a roller coaster but to fight for relegation.

2 hours ago, Kev56 said:

Franks body language with the team, something special happening here. Where the f**k are all the doubters now.?

Still here. A closely fought win against relegation favourites Norwich was not enough to persuade me that all will be rosy this season. We've now thrown away a two goal lead against another relegation favourite.

It's such a difficult transition season for fans as it's great having a legend in charge and having home grown talent playing - feels more 'Chelsea' but, only those so blinded by loyalty can possibly think that a rookie manager leading a team of unproven kids that is augmented by a few ageing squad players is going to result in anything other than a long hard struggle.

This notion that Rudiger coming back is going to be the difference between struggling and cruising to third is laughable. Sure, it'll help when he's back but even Hazard would have struggled to get this lot in the top four. It's an exciting new era, but it isn't going to be like the early Roman days or even close.

I'm all for this new (old) Chelsea but, I find some of the naivety or delusion being posted is weird. It reminds me of the Black Knight from Monty Pythons Holy Grail.

Seriously, nobody is talking about how defensively poor Aspi was for the two goals. They literally pumped the ball to his wing and used his wing. Reece James should replace this guy. 

I can accept the punches we will be taking this season as part of the process but there's lines, that second half was wholly unacceptable on every level.

Firstly rule 1 when you're crusing at home vs one of the lesser lights is to take any potential sting out of them, slow the game down a bit and then punish them when they start getting desperate to truly finish the game. The one thing these teams look for coming to the big grounds is a sniff, and we managed to give them a tails up within one minute of the second half when we had the kick off.

16 minutes ago, hephzibah said:

Seriously, nobody is talking about how defensively poor Aspi was for the two goals. They literally pumped the ball to his wing and used his wing. Reece James should replace this guy. 

Nobody... Except pretty much everyone. 

2 minutes ago, dkw said:

Nobody... Except pretty much everyone. 

Maybe he thinks they are only talking about ivanovic as we read that comparison for the 100th time.

Second half has left me so angry - having to sit through it, see and hear the momentum changing and yet no reaction from our team. We let them come onto us and couldn’t string two passes together apart from across the back four. We need more composure and understand when we need to take the sting out of the game. Appreciate that we have a young squad, but against lesser players, we should be easily seeing them off through 45 mins of football. And unexplainable substitutions in my view. Not going to go into all the subs, but quite how Pulisic stayed on for 90 mins is a mystery to me. Still 100% behind the boys but even in a transitional season, it’s got to be better than that.

3 minutes ago, Stim said:

Maybe he thinks they are only talking about ivanovic as we read that comparison for the 100th time.

Sorry, I only read the last page before writing that comment. I'm so sad like everyone, don't mind me. 

58 minutes ago, Nevamind said:

Why bring on a youngsters (Gilmore) when it stands 2-1? He never played it the Premiere league and it only seems naive. 

Idk but Lampard should know experience is key to a winning team. 

It just seems some wasted three points with 2-0 up. 

Thought he did the best of the 3 subs to be honest, the drop off from Tammy to Bats was painful.

41 minutes ago, mojo said:

first one is for all Barkley haters

cvvc.gif

jllll.gif

gutted for the result and just don't get the 2nd half subs.

Think the first one shows Pulisic should get an assist on the first goal

Also to be fair to Azpi... I don't think there is much leadership behind him when he's pressing.

Looks like on the final goal Tomori stepped and Zouma sat.  Looks like Tomoris lost sight of the service as he's still going forward when the ball was in flight.1360544717_ScreenShot2019-08-31at2_20_33PM.png.f273a8c737e43fd1a0e9a919f345fe28.png1413975933_ScreenShot2019-08-31at2_23_40PM.thumb.png.42abf182b744f0a70b8fdd75d6d541bf.png

1 hour ago, Luca Vialli said:

As long as we learn some lessons this was always going to happen. Feels pretty awful to be two nil up and draw at home against a bang average team though.

In a nutshell for me.

Posted (edited)

My thoughts after first half: transfer windows, there is no position we need it for.

My thoughts after second half: transfer window, there are all the positions we need it for.

This seems to be the picture of Chelsea this season.

Edited by JPH
Typing error

Transition season again so just enjoy it with the youths and Lamps in charge.
As long as we finish top 10 we will be fine, no CL unless we win it so attracting talent who wants CL will be difficult but Klopp and Pep had average first season's so Keep the faith a I know every game will be exciting in one way or another.

^^^^^^ This is me being optimistic as before I was told I was being negative so I am now looking on the bright side of things.........it can only get better it can't get any worst so onwards and upwards fellas

I just don't want Europa league next year, which would mean finishing 5th or winning Carabao cup or FA cup (but paradox is I would like us to win some cup)

Not long back, a few things i noticed.

Watching Zouma defend on a wet pitch is not good for your health, and boy do we wet the pitch, i'm sure the fire brigade couldnt get it any wetter, then in the 2nd half it rained on the wet pitch, he made the ball look like a bar of soap in the 2nd half.

When we have possession in defence our main problem is the phase from defence to midfield, once we get it in midfield we look good and dangerous, but its that initial phase where we really struggle without Luiz. I think we will need to break our transfer record on a center back next year. We will never get back to the top without world class defenders.

1 hour ago, mojo said:

I just don't want Europa league next year, which would mean finishing 5th or winning Carabao cup or FA cup (but paradox is I would like us to win some cup)

So you're happy with 12th then? That's where i think we could end up.

Just reading through the thread after coming back from the game. Interesting that at the ground people were happy with Jorginho and Kovacic.   Mount,  Pulisic were not as involved, Barkley went off and we seemed to drop off and made things tough for ourselves. 

I think Pulisic should have been first change. Kovacic looked like he cramped up and it was bold to bring on Gilmour. Bats Zouma and Dave just don’t seem to be at the level needed at the moment.

Dont understand the Lampard our brigade but it’s easy to slag off some one anonymously with no counter solution. Give him time please!  with what he’s got to work with.