Sign in to follow this  
The Swan

Atmosphere at the Bridge

I should know better, but I took the time to look at a Sheffield United fans forum after Saturday’s game.

I can’t begrudge their delight at securing a point in the smoke. Good luck to them, not a pretty team to watch but they are effective.

On the tube leaving Fulham Broadway there were some almost hysterically disappointed Chelsea fans, one even stating we will get relegated this season. Blimey, talk about not being to put things into perceptive. Yes, it was disappointing to lose a 2.0 goal lead but there were still positives to take from the game and had Tammy taken his hattrick then the outcome would have been so different.

Anyway, I should not digress.

I thought the atmosphere at the Bridge was excellent. At one point the West Stand lower started a rendition of Carefree and this prompted the MHL, the Shed lower and Upper to join in. According to Sheffield fans we don’t sing, and we are all tourists. I have been at Man Utd away, been in with noisy Chelsea fans, not heard Man Utd sing only to watch Match of the Day to arrive at a more balanced perspective. Perhaps, this is what Sheffield fans need to do.

For what it is worth I thought the Sheffield fans were quite loud at times but sang less than Leicester in the previous home game. Considering it has been double figure years since Sheffield were last in the PL I would have expected more. They went through large spells of the game without singing.

Leicester to their credit sang a lot and so did we. However, when I went to Leicester last season in our last away game, I could not believe how quiet they were. It just goes to show the difference between how fans respond at home and away and all things considered the atmosphere at the Bridge was excellent on Saturday from the Chelsea fans.

One final thing. Sheffield fans do not appear to understand that a lot of them are sat next to the family section. I was sat next to the family section at Leicester last season and guess what they acted like families. I am not implying that Sheffield fans are thick but if you sit next to a family section how do you expect it to act?

I for one am really enjoying the vibe at the Bridge at the moment and although on the footballing side of things Frank and the boys have a bit to learn I feel excited about home games now.

We sat next to the away fans, they called themselves the blades, but when they say blades it sounds like bleeds, they sing "we are the bleeds, we are the bleeds...."

10yo Grandson: "Why do they say Chelsea red boys" ?

Grandad: "They're so thick they can't tell colours apart"

46 minutes ago, The Swan said:

I should know better, but I took the time to look at a Sheffield United fans forum after Saturday’s game.

I can’t begrudge their delight at securing a point in the smoke. Good luck to them, not a pretty team to watch but they are effective.

On the tube leaving Fulham Broadway there were some almost hysterically disappointed Chelsea fans, one even stating we will get relegated this season. Blimey, talk about not being to put things into perceptive. Yes, it was disappointing to lose a 2.0 goal lead but there were still positives to take from the game and had Tammy taken his hattrick then the outcome would have been so different.

Anyway, I should not digress.

I thought the atmosphere at the Bridge was excellent. At one point the West Stand lower started a rendition of Carefree and this prompted the MHL, the Shed lower and Upper to join in. According to Sheffield fans we don’t sing, and we are all tourists. I have been at Man Utd away, been in with noisy Chelsea fans, not heard Man Utd sing only to watch Match of the Day to arrive at a more balanced perspective. Perhaps, this is what Sheffield fans need to do.

For what it is worth I thought the Sheffield fans were quite loud at times but sang less than Leicester in the previous home game. Considering it has been double figure years since Sheffield were last in the PL I would have expected more. They went through large spells of the game without singing.

Leicester to their credit sang a lot and so did we. However, when I went to Leicester last season in our last away game, I could not believe how quiet they were. It just goes to show the difference between how fans respond at home and away and all things considered the atmosphere at the Bridge was excellent on Saturday from the Chelsea fans.

One final thing. Sheffield fans do not appear to understand that a lot of them are sat next to the family section. I was sat next to the family section at Leicester last season and guess what they acted like families. I am not implying that Sheffield fans are thick but if you sit next to a family section how do you expect it to act?

I for one am really enjoying the vibe at the Bridge at the moment and although on the footballing side of things Frank and the boys have a bit to learn I feel excited about home games now.

Very much agree with the post, thought the bridge wasnt bad Saturday, definately a feel good vibe around ground as well, I thought sheff Utd were very quiet until the 89th minute. The Liverpool game should be good in three weeks time.

I was sat with my boy in the 'family' area. Sheff Utd fans sounded pretty loud from there....thought they had a decent turn out. I normally sit MHL and amazing to hear how the chants from MH don't really travel to the other end of the ground unless very loud or the whole ground gets involved.

Didn’t go to the game but popped up there for a pre match drink. Met some blades who were very friendly.

As a loose rule, promoted clubs generally make a bit of noise. Still flush with promotion success, novelty factor of being in the top division, few glory hunting  JCL’s

Listening on my dodgy stream, it sounded very loud at the ground. 

I went to Leicester (MHU), lots of noise in the first half and then generally got quieter. Didn't notice Leicester fans

The atmosphere was brought up in last nights match thread.Talk of it being like a Library even when we were drawing.

I could understand it being flat last season, but this season, all too often iv'e been surprised and disappointed by  how quiet the crowd are.

Chelsea legend as manager. Youth being given a chance. Playing attacking football with goals galore in our games, with even fans from other clubs saying how much they enjoy watching us. I don't know what more Frank and the boys can do.

I know it's not just a Chelsea problem,  Utd and other clubs all having subjued crowds, but its still a bit disappointing all the same.

A big contrast to our away fans who give the team great backing during the whole game.

31 minutes ago, Dixons said:

The atmosphere was brought up in last nights match thread.Talk of it being like a Library even when we were drawing.

I could understand it being flat last season, but this season, all too often iv'e been surprised and disappointed by  how quiet the crowd are.

Chelsea legend as manager. Youth being given a chance. Playing attacking football with goals galore in our games, with even fans from other clubs saying how much they enjoy watching us. I don't know what more Frank and the boys can do.

I know it's not just a Chelsea problem,  Utd and other clubs all having subjued crowds, but its still a bit disappointing all the same.

A big contrast to our away fans who give the team great backing during the whole game.

With all due respect i was there last night and the atmosphere was incredible. Probably one of the best i've experienced at the bridge in a long time. 

11 minutes ago, drjonesy1994 said:

With all due respect i was there last night and the atmosphere was incredible. Probably one of the best i've experienced at the bridge in a long time. 

Surely you must be talking about the second half, which was way better.   

13 minutes ago, drjonesy1994 said:

by any chance you went to the Cup tie vs Yanited? From my view, that match looked like a very well supported match from both set of fans. 

3 minutes ago, Dixons said:

Surely you must be talking about the second half, which was way better.   

Even in the first half it was pretty decent to be honest. it was only really flat once they made it 3-1.

3 minutes ago, robdog said:

by any chance you went to the Cup tie vs Yanited? From my view, that match looked like a very well supported match from both set of fans. 

No i didn't go to that one but it seemed like a good atmosphere on TV. United fans are always pretty good at the bridge. 

To the snide, cnut troll.  I''m a career for my mum and live a longway from London. So excuse me for putting my mum first and not being able to go games these days. 

21 minutes ago, drjonesy1994 said:

Even in the first half it was pretty decent to be honest. it was only really flat once they made it 3-1.

Sounded very quiet first half (which a few others thought)  but good in the second. I even read on another forum about Anfield being flat at times during league games, which i found very surprising with the posistion they're in.

4 minutes ago, Dixons said:

Sounded very quiet first half (which a few others thought)  but good in the second. I even read on another forum about Anfield being flat at times during league games, which i found very surprising with the posistion they're in.

Yeah i think it's an issue across the board that teams home support isn't as good as their away support. Quite often at Chelsea (and probably other big clubs) you get tourists and day trippers getting tickets for some of the home game. I can't fault it last night though and for large portions it felt like the bridge was rocking.

I think it depends on the game as well to be honest. I've generally found that the bigger games have a better atmosphere (likes of Spurs, Liverpool, United, Arsenal, City) at home. But it does suffer when we have a home game against a smaller side. 

34 minutes ago, Dixons said:

To the snide, cnut troll.  I''m a career for my mum and live a longway from London. So excuse me for putting my mum first and not being able to go games these days. 

Aren’t you the guy who criticised fans for not going to Baku (which was also the same month as season ticket renewals that the club wouldn’t push back)? 

I understand not everyone can’t go week in, week out for whatever reason and most of our fan base probably doesn’t even live in London nowadays but you also don’t have the right to criticise the ones who do go. I live for getting to games so my life (and bank balance) revolve around our fixtures. (This isn’t intended as a personal attack on yourself btw, just the ramblings of a broke ass match going fan).

Re; the actual topic. The atmosphere last night started weird, the stadium was empty until a little while before kick off and the lack of away fans made it even stranger. Conceding in two minutes didn’t help but after 4 minutes it was amazing. The only time it went dead quiet was after each away goal but the MHL bounced back quickly and got us in the shed going.

When it went 4-2 it was mental, the stadium felt like it was rocking and after Daves disallowed ‘winner’ my voice was gone. 

Years ago someone who worked for the BBC let slip to someone I know that 90% of the pitch side audio is from next to the away fans at SB at least which would tell you why you rarely hear the home support if you’re not there. 

How do we get the atmosphere better? Reduce ticket prices so the people that make the atmosphere can afford it, keep working on getting rid of touts so the stadium isn’t full of tourists who’re just there for a game of football at a ‘big club’. Finally make sure @Valerie is at every game. 

Chelsea vs Lille will be my first game in stamford bridge and also my first Chelsea game. Already been to stamford bridge and did the stadium tour and all but i did not have the opportunity to go to a match until now. I live outside the uk and obviously it isn't an easy task to get there. I wanted to go to a premier game but for now a CL is all i got.

I am now a member so i'm going to try to attend more games at the bridge, and get to a PL game because i know the atmosphere is very different.

I'm not a regular match goer, but even in the padded seats high up in the West Upper the support was noisy. I haven't screamed and shouted like that in ages, my voice went on a romantic getaway with @Munkworth's 😎

It cost me a lot of money, but lord, it was totally worth it.

3 minutes ago, Mod Stark said:

Did you two share a little hot dog?

They don’t let riff raff like me in the nice bits of the ground. They barely let me get to my seat in the shed! Cocktail sausage would be the correct terminology btw. 

It wasn't that loud on tv, I just put it down to there not being any away fans. I couldn't imagine there not being an atmosphere. It's been great whenever I've gone this season. 

7 hours ago, drjonesy1994 said:

I was there last night too, which stand were you sitting at? I was at the shed end lower, and the atmosphere was probably one of the best I have been to in the 2nd half.

Granted, things were a little quiet in the first half, but that was probably at the disappointment of conceding 3 sh*tty goals

Edited by DisposeOfDeadwood

11 hours ago, DisposeOfDeadwood said:

I was there last night too, which stand were you sitting at? I was at the shed end lower, and the atmosphere was probably one of the best I have been to in the 2nd half.

Granted, things were a little quiet in the first half, but that was probably at the disappointment of conceding 3 sh*tty goals

I was in the MHL