coco

Chelsea v Valencia (CL) Tue 17th Sep 20:00 GMT

Allowing Davide to go was Wrong... We're paying the price now,, James and Davide Would fit perfectly in the Squad without any Clashes.... Lampard a Raw Gold...

2 minutes ago, Delnino said:

You simply cant lose your first home game in the CL and expect a smooth ride, I'd prefer if we finish 4th in the group rather than sink in to the EL.

Lampard and his bizarre subs, among other things, have cost us 3 home wins already this season.

That result was bad but the performance of the team and a few individuals was poisonous.

It makes a trip to Lille in 2 weeks time a must win game, we follow that up with an Ajax double header, first game is away in Amsterdam, in those 3 games, if we dont take at least 6 points, we're done for in the group stages already.

It's a competative group, a rare chance anybody in that group is going to go undefeated. On paper what's the difference from losing now or our very last game in the group? Plenty of time left to qualify. 

Just now, Emenalo said:

Allowing Davide to go was Wrong... We're paying the price now,, James and Davide Would fit perfectly in the Squad without any Clashes.... Lampard a Raw Gold...

Keeping Zappacosta? That's a first, he's always been slagged off on this forum and by most Chelsea fans I've spoke to. Lampard has done really well so far. 

I think we have found a new combination with Mount and Abraham's attacking prowess and that got punctured early on.

SFL got his subs wrong again, a minute after taking off a defender for an attacker we concede.

Losing this early in the CL is not great yet can be overcome the more important thing is we come up with a fresh attacking combination for Liverpool on Sunday.

26 minutes ago, Delnino said:

Lampard and his bizarre subs, among other things, have cost us 3 home wins already this season.

And how quickly they turn.   

Manager goes from "Sir Super Frank, club legend, gotta get behind him, this season will  be a marvellous roller-coaster of a ride", to "Lampard....bizarre......cost us 3 home wins already this season"  in the first month and a bit.

f**k knows what it will be like for some if we are in the bottom half of the table in December.

It wasn't that bad last night was it?

I thought we played ok and put quite a lot of pressure on them, albeit in short spells (end of first half, beginning of second in particular). I do think we missed a link between midfield and attack when Mount went off. I would have thought Barkley over Pedro for that early sub might have made the difference. At the very least bring some midfield creativity on early in the second half - felt obvious to me.

Valencia are nothing special, neither are Lille by the looks of things. We got caught sleeping at a set piece, but were warned as fell asleep at one of their corners earlier in the half. We can still make it out of this group based on quality, but we know playing in Europe takes some adjustment. Many good teams have struggled - think Man City in their first few years. Our inexperience, not lack of quality, is the only risk for me.

Why does Frank bring on Giroud when we need a goal and Michy when we're trying to see it out? Should be the other way round.

Pedro and Willian, like it or not we will need the experience this season with every one around them being so young but never should they be on the pitch together at the same time. Add Azpi as wingback to the equation and it's an absolute eyesore.

Funnily enough this was the type of game people moaned about seeing under Sarri, controlled it for the most part but struggled creating anything serious and got sucker punched. At this stage of our process this is a type of result that can happen, it's not like the Sheffield match that shouldn't have happened under any circumstances.

Mount doesn't look too bad luckily because from my seat my first instinct was he done his ligaments at best. We need to try and work out why our young players keep getting injured and try and minimize it, last thing we want is this generation to be in and out of the team all the time.

12 minutes ago, Argo said:

Pedro and Willian, like it or not we will need the experience this season with every one around them being so young but never should they be on the pitch together at the same time. Add Azpi as wingback to the equation and it's an absolute eyesore.

I agree about having at least one of them in the squad for experience too though to make your next point even stronger not only did we have Willian and Pedro yet Apzi and Alonso which would seem to be our slowest combination possible. 

2 hours ago, Delnino said:

What was so frustrating about their goal was the warning signs were there, they worked 2 corners short and got 2 shots off previously to the free kick goal, both were well worked routines but they got shots off from 18 yards out without anybody closing them down. 

We simply cant defend, no matter who plays in the back line, theres no resolve in this side, theyre far too soft.

Our defending has been really poor this season to be fair.

Just watched the game- Red card all day long. Barkley being an arrogant arsehole. Still want Willian and Pedro out. Have faith in Lamps and our team which is still not up to full strength, When they are and play a few games together will drastically improve. ktbffh.

Another game lost, go down as part of the learning experience. We were not poor, but CL is a step up from Europa, and we were not convincing. The loss was harsh on us, but this is the type of game we need more quality on the ball, composure, and patience. The decision to take Zouma off for Giroud cost us the game. As soon as the change was made, with only 4 defenders, they created the opening which resulted in the FK. The defence for the FK was poor, but with a defender just went off, we probably thought we had an extra man marking when we didn't. We were in control at this stage, there was no need for 2 strikers on. To be honest, we were awful with 2 big strikers and aiming to play long, the fullbacks couldn't cross and so called wingers always cut in to narrow the space. They were struggling to contain us, only a matter of time to crack them, and there were plenty time left to score that 1 goal.  The penalty thing, if Barkley was the designated kicker, so be it. Looking at the screen, the other 2-3 were not so impressed, after all the guy just came on a few minutes and haven't got into the game. Jorginho, Willian etc all have taken big PKs before, so.. I reckon we will still quality, getting 4 wins out of the 5 is not out of the question, and to be honest right now we are better on the travel. This was one of the games we could afford to lose, not the next couple of group games through.

I was watching the game at work in Los Angeles 5437 miles away from The Bridge and feel disappointed.  We really did not create many opportunities but Willian showed his magic in those individual runs (Hazard style).  All we need to do is bounce back by beating Liverpool for their first loss of the season............GO BLUES

7 hours ago, Kev56 said:

Just watched the game- Red card all day long. Barkley being an arrogant arsehole. Still want Willian and Pedro out. Have faith in Lamps and our team which is still not up to full strength, When they are and play a few games together will drastically improve. ktbffh.

Hello Kev.  Pedro was rusty (have not played in a month) and Willian was the only player willing to take on Valencia defense.  But agree with you that there is a lot of room to improve, especially in defense.

Wonder how different the game would be if the ref had done his job properly and sent the ex Arsenal thug off for his challenge on Mount?

Come on, a Chelsea player does that it is a red every single time in Europe. How can it be in the rough and tumble premier league that Billy Sharp does basically the same thing for Sheff United against the Saints on the weekend and gets a Red, but in Europe that is just a yellow? He could have broken Mounts leg.

What use is VAR if they do not go to the ref and tell him he messed up, and to upgrade the card to Red?

1 hour ago, Armenian Chelsea said:

Hello Kev.  Pedro was rusty (have not played in a month) and Willian was the only player willing to take on Valencia defense.  But agree with you that there is a lot of room to improve, especially in defense.

Willian is just that, a few minutes of decent football then back to same old. No end result.

2 minutes ago, Kev56 said:

Willian is just that, a few minutes of decent football then back to same old. No end result.

Not really a surprise our most boring game of the season to date was one with Pedro and Willian leading the attack for most of the game is it?

Just now, axman2526 said:

Not really a surprise our most boring game of the season to date was one with Pedro and Willian leading the attack for most of the game is it?

Exactly