coco

Chelsea v Grimsby (LC) Wed 25th Sep 19:45 GMT

That was a great game to be at the Bridge, especially in the second half. But, how on earth do we let a Grimsby player get behind our defenders and score? Great goal for them, but can’t we get a clean sheet against a lower division team?

Other than that, I was impressed by the youngsters. James, Gilmour, Guehi, Maatsen, Anjorin were very good. CHO was good as well but I was expecting s bit more from him, given all the hype about the contract.

great game and first victory for Lamps at the Bridge. Let’s hope we can get a continuation this weekend against Nrighton. Can we play some more youth?

This result kick starts us for sure.  I loved how we attacked and happy seeing james and Odoi back.  I was so impressed with Anjorin.  The kids just looks and plays like a beast.  Then Maatsen  - OMG.  Odoi should definitely start to play in epl as soon as possible to start improving his sharpness.  Can't wait to see this line up:

Kepa

Reece Rudiger Tomori Emerson

Jorginho Kante

Mount  Loftus Odoi

Tammy

We are going to be a strong force really soon, this season I have a feeling we are going to have a strong run between October and March.  So much positives.  Zouma is growing into his role as well.  Can't wait till we improve defensively and start hammering teams!!!

23 minutes ago, dhidza said:

This result kick starts us for sure.  I loved how we attacked and happy seeing james and Odoi back.  I was so impressed with Anjorin.  The kids just looks and plays like a beast.  Then Maatsen  - OMG.  Odoi should definitely start to play in epl as soon as possible to start improving his sharpness.  Can't wait to see this line up:

Kepa

Reece Rudiger Tomori Emerson

Jorginho Kante

Mount  Loftus Odoi

Tammy

We are going to be a strong force really soon, this season I have a feeling we are going to have a strong run between October and March.  So much positives.  Zouma is growing into his role as well.  Can't wait till we improve defensively and start hammering teams!!!

Crazy really, pretty certain 90% of us would have said that team isn’t good enough before the season started!

So far Abraham has completely proved me wrong. I didn’t think he was going to be good enough for us 

52 minutes ago, Davey Baby said:

I was a tad upset Barkley didn't take it, to help him get over the last miss. He's obviously been demoted!!!!!!!

Maybe it was a case of he's wary of missing two in quick succession. I remember Hazard use to pass over penalty duty for a while whenever he missed (and it didn't go in on the rebound).

If we drop down to Europa again next season we can definitely take some consultation in the fact it will give us a chance to see these boys a bit more often.

4 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

Anyone care to work out the average age of the XI that finished the match? I’d like to know but can’t be arsed :laugh2:

13 1/2

23 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

Anyone care to work out the average age of the XI that finished the match? I’d like to know but can’t be arsed :laugh2:

Outfield was 20.2 apparently.

Just got back from the game, one of the best matches ive been to at the Bridge, and i think its down the the feel good factor of the academy products.

Gilmour was absolutely unreal. Like the kid was just brilliant, eveything he did was just perfect. He gets the ball and pings it first time, inch perfect and that isnt just easy passes, through balls everything. He was so composed and confident.

Reece James, joint man of the match for me. The guy is solid at the back and great going forward. Was literally the perfect performance. Yet again so composed, and so much confidence. 2 assists and a goal, and a teenager outmuscling grown men. Hes fast, strong,technically good, and ultimately has great end product. 

Marc Guehi, again extremely impressed with this kid. Like the other two what impressed me was their supreme confidence and composure on their full debuts. He didnt put a foot wrong and put in a great performance.

Alonso put in a good enough performance, and zouma had one of his better day. I thought pedro was decent in midfield, and barkley was good but very very frustrating too. The amount of jeers from the crowd anytime he did anything wrong makes me think he wont be with us much longer. I thought batshuayi put in a very good performance, he looked so hungry and its clear he has always been a goalscorer, but his link up play and desire was very good. The two wingers were a little disappointing, hudson didnt have his best game tbh and missed a few sitters but ultimately he scored again, and pulisic was very quiet, i expected him to grab his chance more. 

As for the subs i was impressed with that left back maatsen, the way he was bombing up and down the wing with his electric pace. Anjorin seemed decent too, a little bit big and clumsy at times, but these two are 17 and hopefully will have very bright futures.

Its just such exciting time at the bridge, but one thing to take away is i see a lot of the older players playing their last season. I cant see how pedro and willian will be there next season, we have already got rid of luiz which was a few seasons too late. But with all the young talent coming through, the older ones will seriously need to up their games or be ousted.

Fun game doesn't really mean much for how we'll go in the premier league. CHO clearly very rusty and took risks when in defensive possession that would be punished against many opponents. James very calm but defensively I'd like to see more. Gilmour looked pretty good but just lacks a bit of bulk. I was less convinced by Guehi.

Barkely looked great tonight. He and Gilmour teamed very well. Pulisic didn't do enough for mine to push say Willian out of the premier league starting line up.

Overall though I thought the team played like a team in attack, lots of movement and style. Defensively though I don't see the same system.

Edited by ozboy

2 hours ago, Munkworth said:

20 and a bit according to the interview with either James/Billy or Lamps can't remember which.

43 minutes ago, Oli said:

Just got back from the game, one of the best matches ive been to at the Bridge, and i think its down the the feel good factor of the academy products.

Gilmour was absolutely unreal. Like the kid was just brilliant, eveything he did was just perfect. He gets the ball and pings it first time, inch perfect and that isnt just easy passes, through balls everything. He was so composed and confident.

Reece James, joint man of the match for me. The guy is solid at the back and great going forward. Was literally the perfect performance. Yet again so composed, and so much confidence. 2 assists and a goal, and a teenager outmuscling grown men. Hes fast, strong,technically good, and ultimately has great end product. 

Marc Guehi, again extremely impressed with this kid. Like the other two what impressed me was their supreme confidence and composure on their full debuts. He didnt put a foot wrong and put in a great performance.

Alonso put in a good enough performance, and zouma had one of his better day. I thought pedro was decent in midfield, and barkley was good but very very frustrating too. The amount of jeers from the crowd anytime he did anything wrong makes me think he wont be with us much longer. I thought batshuayi put in a very good performance, he looked so hungry and its clear he has always been a goalscorer, but his link up play and desire was very good. The two wingers were a little disappointing, hudson didnt have his best game tbh and missed a few sitters but ultimately he scored again, and pulisic was very quiet, i expected him to grab his chance more. 

As for the subs i was impressed with that left back maatsen, the way he was bombing up and down the wing with his electric pace. Anjorin seemed decent too, a little bit big and clumsy at times, but these two are 17 and hopefully will have very bright futures.

Its just such exciting time at the bridge, but one thing to take away is i see a lot of the older players playing their last season. I cant see how pedro and willian will be there next season, we have already got rid of luiz which was a few seasons too late. But with all the young talent coming through, the older ones will seriously need to up their games or be ousted.

I would personally keep Pedro until either he wants more football elsewhere or the point reaches where he no longer has the fitness to compete at this level.

Given what he's achieved in his career there's no better mentor to the young lads, especially Callum and Mount. Not only that, 10 years ago he was himself in the exact position these guys are currently in (breaking through as a young player at a big club with huge expectations).

I've always been a huge admirer of his, given he won everything possible at Barca and was a part of the greatest club side ever he could have quite easily saw his move here as a chance to half arse things and wind down on a decent wage (like a certain floppy haired guy is doing at Arsenal) but he's done the complete opposite.

Imagine we get to a CL final in this year or next (unlikely this early but play along) the lads about to play such a huge game, by a distance the biggest of their career so far, have a player who's played and won this very showpiece match twice (3 technically but he only played like one minute in Rome 09) who's knowledge and experience of such occasion they can tap into. He will know how to control nerves, how to manage the game situations that will likely arrise and most importantly how to win the game. It would put our guys at so much more ease.

Edited by Argo

Tbh as soon as i wrote that last bit i wasent sure why. Pedro has always been a great professional. I think what i meant to say, especially in regards to him was that this season will prob be his last with us as a starting winger. I see him prob playing more of a bit part next year and as this season ends. And youre completely right that the experience he brings at the highest level, as well as dedication and hard work, he will be needed in helping to shape these young boys as a person to aspire to, both on and off the pitch.

Anybody know when the date is officially announced? I know it will be 29th or 30th of October. Guessing we'll be on Tuesday and Arsenal/Liverpool Wednesday.

At risk of repeating everyone elses comments, I was very happy with last night. Quick thoughts from me:

- Reece James is the REAL DEAL. He will be our starting right back soon enough. Looked like a man against boys out there.

- Billy Gilmour - loved what I saw. Always wanting possession, vocal in midfield telling others what to do and where to move (including Barkley) and dictated the play. Classy. We did think the same with Mceachran at one point though but perhaps the game today is more suited to that type of player and think Billy offers a bit more to the team.

- CHO was a bit rusty but he never gave up and is clearly a fiery competitor. Loved his passion and so pleased he got his goal. Showed flashes. The only way is up.

- Anjorin and Maatsen looked tidy, Anjorin in particular, especially given his size. Exciting for the future. Hopefully the club start to see the blueprint for getting these boys into our first team in the next few years.

- Guehi was as advertised. Never really troubled and looked assured. Happy to have that depth there.

- Experienced campaigners did well. Showed fight, passion etc. all the things we expect to see, even against lower opposition.

- Pulisic is a worry for me. Was invisible in the second half and i'm struggling to see what he offers. A bit of pace, but what else? Looked short on confidence and ideas. Need to give him time clearly. but I didn't see any reason for the hype.

- We need to play with a 10. Pedro in that role offered very little and kept drifting so we had too big a gap between midfield and attack down the middle. Grimsby let us come onto them so wasn't too much of an issue, but against teams that press, we need a link between the central midfielders and the striker that isn't just out on the wings.

- Disappointed we conceded and did fall asleep at a few set pieces again. We need to fix that - the biggest worry for me continues to be the defense.

All in all, a feel good evening in many aspects. Hopefully monkey off the back at home and we dispose of Brighton with confidence at the weekend. UTC!

14 hours ago, I Am Gay 4 Diegod said:

I’ve got a feeling we might still be looking for our first home win after tonight 

13 hours ago, I Am Gay 4 Diegod said:

All I said about Hudson Odoi was that I’ve gone off him and don’t like him. I think he thinks a lot of himself without proving anything.

Talksh*te!! FM

Regardless of the opposition, I reckon this is the first time since Roman took over we actually played 'kids' in a proper game. All the managers talked about playing youth in a cup game, but Lampard was the first one that's actually doing it. Sure, the opposition was limited, but the team played well and overwhelmed the opposition from start to finish apart from that 1 defensive mistake costed the goal. Comes the weekend we will have 2 extra options to pick from in CHO and James, and add another dimension to the team

1 hour ago, icecoolguy22 said:

Regardless of the opposition, I reckon this is the first time since Roman took over we actually played 'kids' in a proper game. All the managers talked about playing youth in a cup game, but Lampard was the first one that's actually doing it. Sure, the opposition was limited, but the team played well and overwhelmed the opposition from start to finish apart from that 1 defensive mistake costed the goal. Comes the weekend we will have 2 extra options to pick from in CHO and James, and add another dimension to the team

Carlo tried in 2010 but quickly had to abandon the idea when it became clear the ones we had just weren't cutting it.

Apparently Frank had a subtle dig at Jose in his programme notes yesterday, referring to our fans applauding the team off on Sunday despite the loss, and how those are the actions of a big club. Anyone got the notes?

I know it is Grimsby Town, but the kids played really well. Pulisic didn't stand out, which kind of bothers me a little. I am not necessarily worried about him, but when we have an academy day like yesterday I think he should be a little better than he was. Obviously Chelsea could've won this match 10, 11, 12 - 1 as their keeper played about as well as you can play while giving up 7 goals. But Pulisic needs to be a little bit better, he wasn't bad, just needs to be a little better overall.