16 hours ago, Valerie said:

Some posters are making it seem as if every goal in all this season's matches having been scrutinised by VAR, and we have to hold off cheering for 5 minutes every time, but has anyone the statistics on goals scored in all matches and the number of VAR decisions? What's the percentage we're actually talking about?

I think its usually a case of if the ref or linesman believes there was a marginal call in the buildup then VAR checks to ensure it was a legitimate goal, similar to Cricket where if someone has been given out the umpire can ask VAR to check for a No ball. This isnt done after every dismissal in cricket but usually when the Umpire wants a 2nd opinion as they may have given the benefit of doubt to the bowler, however where it differs is that in Cricket any marginal call goes with the on field umpire whereas in football we are seeing marginal calls overturning on field decisions.

42 minutes ago, Imran_CFC said:

I think its usually a case of if the ref or linesman believes there was a marginal call in the buildup then VAR checks to ensure it was a legitimate goal, similar to Cricket where if someone has been given out the umpire can ask VAR to check for a No ball. This isnt done after every dismissal in cricket but usually when the Umpire wants a 2nd opinion as they may have given the benefit of doubt to the bowler, however where it differs is that in Cricket any marginal call goes with the on field umpire whereas in football we are seeing marginal calls overturning on field decisions.

No... VAR checks 4 different things : Goals, penalty, straight red card, and mistaken identity... it does these all the time automatically. The ref or linesman has no need to ask for a review. So it will check every goal scored to see if there were any offenses during the build up play be that handball or offside etc. and will then advise.

With regard to cricket every wicket is actually reviewed (mainly for foot faults) to ensure its a fair delivery. 

42 minutes ago, Bonzodog29 said:

No... VAR checks 4 different things : Goals, penalty, straight red card, and mistaken identity... it does these all the time automatically. The ref or linesman has no need to ask for a review. So it will check every goal scored to see if there were any offenses during the build up play be that handball or offside etc. and will then advise.

With regard to cricket every wicket is actually reviewed (mainly for foot faults) to ensure its a fair delivery. 

That is where the grey area is within football because there doesn't seem to be clarity if all goals are being checked or not, for some goals you can clearly see that there is a delay and a check is going on whereas on others they just seem to continue. This needs to be rectified as fans are clearly unsure as what to expect once a goal has been scored and where do you exactly draw the line as we conceded whilst Abraham was clearly impeded in the buildup but it was waived as it was a different phase of play.

In regards to Cricket: 

2.5.1 If the bowler’s end umpire is uncertain as to the fairness of the delivery following a dismissal, either affecting the validity of the dismissal or which batsman is dismissed, he/she shall be entitled to request the batsman to delay leaving the field and to check the fairness of the delivery with the third umpire. Communication with the third umpire shall be by two-way radio.

Not all dismissals are checked it is done so at the call of the umpire, many pundits have asked the call to be taken out of the umpires hand

Edited by Imran_CFC
36 minutes ago, Bonzodog29 said:

Quite right. In terms of VAR affecting the flow of cricket and football; in cricket the ball is in play for a comparatively short time- it’s snails pace compared with football, where the action is more or less continuous.

Unless the VAR process can be speeded up or used less regularly, it’s a case of do we want pitch perfect udjudication and regularly stoppages, or a game that continues uninterrupted with the likely hood of the occasional refereeing blunder. ( Where everyone moans like f**k when the decision goes against them)

Id prefer a flowing game meself, but each to their own.

With goal line tech working well to me the remaining issues are dangerous tackles and goals that shouldn't stand.

Now what can you do in that space that won't destroy the essence of the game, remembering we have three officials on the pitch ot pitchside ?

Perhaps:

• VAR review of straight red decisions automatically.
  •  Each team has 1 VAR review per half though that would need a time limit, no point doing that after replay has started following a disputed goal.

Each team having a review clearly has credence though how long would it be before astute coaches use their review during injury time with the sole purpose of stopping the flow of the game? I'm not sure what parameters would be used but modifying the offside rule would appear to be the way forward. Allowing VAR to still have a role but without the stringent to the letter measurements that are now being employed.

2 minutes ago, charierre said:

Each team having a review clearly has credence though how long would it be before astute coaches use their review during injury time with the sole purpose of stopping the flow of the game? I'm not sure what parameters would be used but modifying the offside rule would appear to be the way forward. Allowing VAR to still have a role but without the stringent to the letter measurements that are now being employed.

That's a fair point so perhaps refs discretion over time wasting with it being used just at the 'death'. 

23 hours ago, Valerie said:

Some posters are making it seem as if every goal in all this season's matches having been scrutinised by VAR, and we have to hold off cheering for 5 minutes every time, but has anyone the statistics on goals scored in all matches and the number of VAR decisions? What's the percentage we're actually talking about?

Every goal is  actually scrutinised by VAR. If your talking about how many decisions are reversed then very few , I think it’s something like  8 that have been disallowed not many but having been at the game on Sunday and seeing how it impacts it isn’t a nice feeling at all.

For me it’s the lack of consistency and indeed the lack application of VAR.

For instance Arsenal’s 3rd on Sunday should have been disallowed no offside or the like but the goal was scored direct from a free kick and an Arsenal player was within a metre of the wall.

Or what about our game against Man U when a Utd player encroached into the box before the penalty was taken?

2 hours ago, terraloon said:

Every goal is  actually scrutinised by VAR. If your talking about how many decisions are reversed then very few , I think it’s something like  8 that have been disallowed not many but having been at the game on Sunday and seeing how it impacts it isn’t a nice feeling at all.

For me it’s the lack of consistency and indeed the lack application of VAR.

For instance Arsenal’s 3rd on Sunday should have been disallowed no offside or the like but the goal was scored direct from a free kick and an Arsenal player was within a metre of the wall.

Or what about our game against Man U when a Utd player encroached into the box before the penalty was taken?

That has been my main gripe with it since it was bought it. I have seen so many instances already where one VAR decision contradicts the other. 

1 hour ago, AndyDowsleftflank said:

I dont celebrate our goals anymore, unless it happens to be a direct free kick or a pen. Its not about how its applied, how long it takes etc - that rush of emotion is gone, thanks to var. 

I cant help celebrate, but i have muted them a bit, hesitating, its not euphoric anymore.

On 02/10/2019 at 22:15, coco said:

I cant help celebrate, but i have muted them a bit, hesitating, its not euphoric anymore.

I felt like a tit when I celebrated Pulisic's disallowed goal vs Liverpool in the Super Cup, I shouted out loud and then punched my chair in anger when VAR overturned it. Since then, I have delayed celebrating, to the point where I didn't even react when Abraham scored on Wednesday, I was convinced that it was going to be ruled out as soon as he touched the ball. I celebrated when I seen the replays, but it didn't feel the same. There was no shouting, just a relieved fist pump.

• 1 month later...

Problem with VAR is not the technology it is the human element. For me it is weird the ref has the last call. Why does he have that? Why can't VAR refs give the call. Last night the horrible ref, who got many calls wrong didn't bother to ask VAR about the penalty which wasn't a penalty in any planet. He just decided it is the right call. Why is that even possible?

VAR is never wrong IMO. The ref on the pitch is wrong. By never I mean there is little or No margin for error when they watch the situation again and again. That is almost perfect analysis of any situation.

Problem is the refs haven't decided the rules inside their process. Get that right and VAR is off the topic of discussons.

1 hour ago, evissy said:

Problem with VAR is not the technology it is the human element. For me it is weird the ref has the last call. Why does he have that? Why can't VAR refs give the call. Last night the horrible ref, who got many calls wrong didn't bother to ask VAR about the penalty which wasn't a penalty in any planet. He just decided it is the right call. Why is that even possible?

VAR is never wrong IMO. The ref on the pitch is wrong. By never I mean there is little or No margin for error when they watch the situation again and again. That is almost perfect analysis of any situation.

Problem is the refs haven't decided the rules inside their process. Get that right and VAR is off the topic of discussons.

I thought the idea was that all penalties are automatically VAR review. So tHey check every possible penalty and if they believe the referee missed something or made the wrong choice they will tell him and he will take action as necessary ( either switching to their decision or reviewing it on the monitor himself if they believe he needs to ). So, it’s not that the referee did not consult VAR last night, it’s that VAR felt the referee made the right decisions ?

Edited by Crem
I thought the idea was that all penalties are automatically VAR review. So tHey check every possible penalty and if they believe the referee missed something or made the wrong choice they will tell him and he will take action as necessary ( either switching to their decision or reviewing it on the monitor himself if they believe he needs to ). So, it’s not that the referee did not consult VAR last night, it’s that VAR felt the referee made the right decisions ?
Did he consult? I never saw a sign of VAR on screen. As far as I know refs can make decisions without VAR if they want. A.k.a if they are stupid.