Marc Guehi

coco

2 minutes ago, Dubair said:

I wouldn’t say that considering 2 of the players promoted by Lampard just started in a Chanpions league final winning team, with a number of others part of the squad. 

Abraham - Going

CHO - Going

Gilmour - Gone

Guehi - gone

Reece James - tried to sign a replacement

So that leaves Mason Mount as the only one sure of a start, hopefully. But we wont the champions league, and will now sign some lovely shiney new foreign players to take their place so everyone's happy, right....and round and round we go until the next manager comes in and it all starts again......yay.

7 minutes ago, dkw said:

Abraham - Going

CHO - Going

Gilmour - Gone

Guehi - gone

So that leaves Mason Mount as the only one sure of a start, hopefully. But we wont the champions league, and will now sign some lovely shiney new foreign players to take their place so everyone's happy, right....and round and round we go until the next manager comes in and it all starts again......yay.

Reece James will be a starter. We tried to sign a RWB so he could be moved to RCB.
Gilmour should also have a future here after his loan.

First season under Lampard was always going to be an outlier considering we were banned from buying anyone. CHO didn't feature much at all even before Tuchel and it seems Guehi is tired of loans and with no chance of him displacing either T.Silva or Christensen in the heart of defence it seems like a sale was the only option.

2 minutes ago, dkw said:

Abraham - Going

CHO - Going

Gilmour - Gone

Guehi - gone

Gilmour has gone on loan to gain experience just like all the other successful academy players before him who played in the CL final (Mount,James, Christensen). So I’d hardly count him in the discussion. 

I wouldn’t agree that they’re actively looking to replace James either. You need multiple quality players in each position to compete at the top level. If this wasn’t the case then you could say that Chelsea signed replacements for Mount in Havertz and Ziyech last year. 

James has already shown himself to be very effective as Rb/Rwb and I thought he looked good as a RCB in a back 5 also, so I’d be very surprised if he doesn’t see 25+ starts in the league next year even with a new RWB signed.  

CHO has been consistently linked with a move away for about 3 years now so it’s hard to say whether there’s much substance to him moving.

I’d agree Abraham is likely to leave which is unfortunate but if Chelsea can get around 40 million for a back up striker then it makes sense. Likewise for Guehi , who I’ve seen very little of, it seems like a good deal in which we can buy back if necessary.

4 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

Tragedy. I thought he was our best academy prospect. I wonder what we are getting for him? 

It’s a very strange market so evidence of the past isn’t really applicable 

That said my guess is that it’s between £15-20 million

I did not see that coming. Most of us had high hopes for him, but probably the club on balance felt it was better to sell him. Palace ain't exactly Barcelona (although Barcelona ain't exactly Barcelona anymore these days), so perhaps we've been rating him too high? 

It's nice to dream about a steady progression of academy players to the first squad, but let's be honest: how probable is that in view of the high level of the competitions we participate in? At the end of the day, the club, the supporters, want to reach as high as possible and win silverware, and we can only do that with a good mix of experience and promise. Not all our academy graduates can deliver, and we're not doing so badly all things considered. Besides, sometimes the assessment can be wrong, both in keeping and in selling, plus there are impactful injuries to be considered (think RLC). Dreams are not reality.

5 minutes ago, Dubair said:

Gilmour has gone on loan to gain experience just like all the other successful academy players before him who played in the CL final (Mount,James, Christensen). So I’d hardly count him in the discussion. 

I wouldn’t agree that they’re actively looking to replace James either. You need multiple quality players in each position to compete at the top level. If this wasn’t the case then you could say that Chelsea signed replacements for Mount in Havertz and Ziyech last year. 

James has already shown himself to be very effective as Rb/Rwb and I thought he looked good as a RCB in a back 5 also, so I’d be very surprised if he doesn’t see 25+ starts in the league next year even with a new RWB signed.  

CHO has been consistently linked with a move away for about 3 years now so it’s hard to say whether there’s much substance to him moving.

I’d agree Abraham is likely to leave which is unfortunate but if Chelsea can get around 40 million for a back up striker then it makes sense. Likewise for Guehi , who I’ve seen very little of, it seems like a good deal in which we can buy back if necessary.

James had already been dropped by Tuchel several times, then put in at Centre back for some reason, its hardly a leap to see Tuchel doesnt want him as our first choice right back, the evidence is there by us trying to sign another top class one.

I dont see Gilmour coming back now unfortunately, Tuchel likely wont be here by the time he returns and then he wont get a chance under the next foreign manager we get, now was his moment for us.

CHO was weirdly played at right back, subbed off by Tuchel as some weird show of power then barely given a chance after that, now he will go. Great stuff.

Abraham leaving is just as stupid, we currently have no strikers (Werner is not a striker). If we buy one then we need a 2nd choice, Abraham is perfect for that. But he now goes and we replace him with a middling foreign striker no doubt.

21 minutes ago, dkw said:

Abraham - Going

CHO - Going

Gilmour - Gone

Guehi - gone

Everyone always forgets poor Andreas :sad:

Guehi could either hang around here and maybe be a squad player, join the one million different loans club or take a risk at building his career somewhere permanently. It’s a shame but I don’t blame the lad. 

2 minutes ago, Valerie said:

I did not see that coming. Most of us had high hopes for him, but probably the club on balance felt it was better to sell him. Palace ain't exactly Barcelona (although Barcelona ain't exactly Barcelona anymore these days), so perhaps we've been rating him too high? 

It's nice to dream about a steady progression of academy players to the first squad, but let's be honest: how probable is that in view of the high level of the competitions we participate in? At the end of the day, the club, the supporters, want to reach as high as possible and win silverware, and we can only do that with a good mix of experience and promise. Not all our academy graduates can deliver, and we're not doing so badly all things considered. Besides, sometimes the assessment can be wrong, both in keeping and in selling, plus there are impactful injuries to be considered (think RLC). Dreams are not reality.

In a way I did simply because we need  to sell a whole gaggle of academy products who are decent players but probably not quite of the quality. In the past we would have put them out on loan but this season we need to clear out probably 10-15 players who are now past the academy stage to enable the next tranche to be afforded the opportunity of developing 

The club will have analysed just about every minute, every pass, every tackle indeed everything about his loan at Swansea  and whilst he has done v well  in the championship I just don’t see the player that some are suggesting 

Lampard let Tomori (the main reason he got the Chelsea job in the first place) go after wasting a year of his career and was about to let Hudson Odoi walk to Bayern because he was playing a central midfielder in his position.

He also totally froze out Christensen (people forget he's an academy boy himself) until Tuchel came in and coached him into a player spoke in the same breath as Thiago Silva.

This narrative we were brim with youth players in the line-up under Lampard and Tuchel has come in and dropped them all bit by bit is utter rubbish.

Edited by Argo

38 minutes ago, Sindre said:

Reece James will be a starter. We tried to sign a RWB so he could be moved to RCB.
Gilmour should also have a future here after his loan.

First season under Lampard was always going to be an outlier considering we were banned from buying anyone. CHO didn't feature much at all even before Tuchel and it seems Guehi is tired of loans and with no chance of him displacing either T.Silva or Christensen in the heart of defence it seems like a sale was the only option.

He started three league games in Lampard's last year as coach, Tuchel matched that tally within a week and a half of arriving.

31 minutes ago, dkw said:

Abraham - Going

CHO - Going

Gilmour - Gone

Guehi - gone

Being a bit dramatic here 

Tammy is a decent striker but he really isn’t close to being of the standard required to hitting 20+ goals a season on a regular basis.

CHO is a conundrum because he has all the skills but rarely has he delivered when called upon . That said his injury probably hit him incredibly hard.

Gilmour needs more game time to see how he develops. He wasn’t going to become a regular next season despite the hype

Reece is now cemented into the squad he now needs to develop even further 

34 minutes ago, dkw said:

James had already been dropped by Tuchel several times, then put in at Centre back for some reason, its hardly a leap to see Tuchel doesnt want him as our first choice right back, the evidence is there by us trying to sign another top class one.

I dont see Gilmour coming back now unfortunately, Tuchel likely wont be here by the time he returns and then he wont get a chance under the next foreign manager we get, now was his moment for us.

CHO was weirdly played at right back, subbed off by Tuchel as some weird show of power then barely given a chance after that, now he will go. Great stuff.

Abraham leaving is just as stupid, we currently have no strikers (Werner is not a striker). If we buy one then we need a 2nd choice, Abraham is perfect for that. But he now goes and we replace him with a middling foreign striker no doubt.

James may have been dropped or rotated or whatever you want to call it but he still started and played the full 90 minutes in the two finals. That shows me that Tuchel rates him quite highly. 

Not sure how you’ve come to that conclusion on Gilmour to be honest. He’s clearly highly rated at the club and bear in mind that in addition to the players Lampard brought through after successful loan spells, that Christensen and Loftus-Cheek got their break into the first team from “foreign” managers after loan spells. 

CHO is a strange one and I wouldn’t be giving up on him yet but Tuchel is now the 3rd manager in a row who has used him sparingly which is quite telling IMO. 

As for Abraham, I agree he’s a good 2nd choice striker, however I don’t think he’s happy to sit on the bench.  I think the club want to use the money for him on a top class striker like Haaland and then use Werner or Havertz as a striker or false 9 if needs be.

1 minute ago, Dubair said:

James may have been dropped or rotated or whatever you want to call it but he still started and played the full 90 minutes in the two finals. That shows me that Tuchel rates him quite highly. 

Not sure how you’ve come to that conclusion on Gilmour to be honest. He’s clearly highly rated at the club and bear in mind that in addition to the players Lampard brought through after successful loan spells, that Christensen and Loftus-Cheek got their break into the first team from “foreign” managers after loan spells. 

CHO is a strange one and I wouldn’t be giving up on him yet but Tuchel is now the 3rd manager in a row who has used him sparingly which is quite telling IMO. 

As for Abraham, I agree he’s a good 2nd choice striker, however I don’t think he’s happy to sit on the bench.  I think the club want to use the money for him on a top class striker like Haaland and then use Werner or Havertz as a striker or false 9 if needs be.

The only academy player significantly worse off in terms of playing time is Tammy.

Christensen - significantly better off.

Gilmour - similar role but already more league minutes under TT.

James - still playing regularly all be it not in his best position (in a 3atb).

Mount - Still untouchable.

CHO - minutes dried up in the business end but was playing significantly more minutes than previous.

Tammy - fair enough.

I bet he'd have made better use of Lamptey aswell.

If I'm going to be super pedantic, Tuchel brought Anjorin on at Barnsley with the game far from safe, when did Lampard bring him on in a position of similar potential jeopardy?

Now I don't want people to get things twisted I'm not saying all in all Lampard's youth policy wasn't excellent, the point I'm making is if his decisions/selections was micro managed in the same way he'd have copped regular flack aswell (the difference in energy to this thread to Tomori's once his sale was announced says it all).

With the new loan rules i imagine this kind of thing will become a lot more common.

I personally have no problem with it so long as we have a sell-on clause and first refusal on a buy back as seems to be mentioned here. It will probably help the players development a lot more too as a club is more likely to give consistent game time to a player they own rather than one simply on loan.

34 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

With the new loan rules i imagine this kind of thing will become a lot more common.

I personally have no problem with it so long as we have a sell-on clause and first refusal on a buy back as seems to be mentioned here. It will probably help the players development a lot more too as a club is more likely to give consistent game time to a player they own rather than one simply on loan.

Yeah my thinking too. If TT is not looking to use him then am glad we are doing a deal this way. We apparently have no options like this on Tomori and we may well regret that.

If Marc develops as we hope we buy him back or get a good sell on percentage if we dont need him at that time. If not then he would not have made it here anyways.

Rumours about that Connor Gallagher could be going to Newcastle in a similar deal.

I think it’s likely good for Guehi and you could read it as part of a fund raising effort to buy someone else. He’s clearly ready for premier leagues somewhere. 

Pretty disappointing and short-sighted by the club to sell both Tomori and Guehi within the space of a few weeks of each other. Was really hoping that Guehi would have a shot to impress Tuchel and get some potential first time minutes. 

Maybe by selling Guehi and Tomori, that means that Rudi and Zouma would be extending and staying? I'm just not sure what the plan is here

9 minutes ago, timetowaste said:

Gutted to see him go but getting around £20m and a buy back clause isn’t the worst deal for an academy product that’s never played for us or premier league football in general 

Fair point but if he has the same trajectory as Ben White who is rated at £50m by Brighton after one season in the league, it might be a missed opportunity.

12 minutes ago, Argo said:

The same Lampard who let Lamptey, Musaila and Tomori (and nearly CHO) walk out on his watch?

While I agree with you on this, and I'm not completely unhappy with letting Guehi go with a buy-back and sell-on clause, you have to agree that Lampard is one of the last coaches to have brought up and settled academy youngsters into the first team, even if he let some go as well. How many has TT brought into the first team? None so far. That's where I believe the comparisons stem from.