coco

Lille v Chelsea (CL) Wed 2nd Oct 20:00 GMT

Posted (edited)

Hard lot to please on here 

I’ve just settled down with a bong hit lite beer & shot tequila to enjoy the replay of the very entertaining CL away tie I saw earlier 

We win away a tough slog it was yet all I’ve read on this fan forum board is mostly a lot of ill informed critique from mostly a bunch moaning ingrates. Why not follow City ?  you know your gonna see an impeccable squad, full on press and goals plus most results are wins , every player beyond reproach nearly every match. A top experienced trophy laden manager. Rich owners & about to dominate the league for many a year to come. 

Me I’m chuffed to bits with Franks tenure and the result today  we have academy graduates playing in the 1st team just as it was when I first went to the Bridge. I make no apologies for being an Englishman who finds the local boys in the 1st team just as good as winning every match like City.

William is an easy target  but maybe think outside the box, these young lads need a few older heads on the pitch  - let’s face it apart from Kante & Jorginho most of the senior players are on a par with Willy talent/ stats/ usefulness to the team & gameplan. But they are still a vital part of the squad so why bother constantly slagging them? There’s a transfer ban even if they were that freakin awful the club can’t move them on until it can replace most of them.

So the glass is half full Tammy has today scored his 1st CL goal on his birthday. Last player to net on his b day JFH 2004.

KEEP THE FAITH 💀

Edited by General
Bad spelling

4 hours ago, Londonisblue said:

3 wins in a row across all competitions !!!! 

Yep, first time since early to mid April.

First Champions League win since November 2017.

6 hours ago, goose said:

Tammy is really improving his hold up and build up play. Really good goal too.

Agreed, which is why it was frustrating early on to see him drifting wide

WIllians goal he absolutely meant to hit it low, maybe not into the ground to bounce over the keeper, but he shaped to keep it low.

Anyway, I do like the fact that Frank is willing to change personnel and formation midway though the match.  I felt we were starting to lose it in the middle around the time he brought CHO on.  Bringing him on and then changing to a 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 was exactly what was needed at the time.  Also, massive kudos to Kepa, absolutely won this for us.

This whole team is still learning, but we just went away and beat a Lille side that has, by all accounts including the French press running up to the game, were heavily favoured.

The type of performance we needed.

Kante isn't fit, and that was obvious, so I think he should be rested next game out against Southampton

Good result. Thought Lille were a LOT better than Valenica.

That defeat still bugs me, we should being facing Ajax for top spot not slogging it out to survive.

Kepa man of the match, superb. As were Tammy and Tomori, mistakes aside. Zouma also played really well.

1 hour ago, axman2526 said:

I really hate what VAR has done to my experience of watching the game.

Tammy scores. I look to the ref, the lino, no flag, I should be celebrating. Instead I am left to wait to see if VAR will chalk it off and by the time they come back i am just relieved that they do not.

Fully agree....cant have a passionate, feeling celebration because they're standing around waiting for a decision

4 hours ago, General said:

We win away a tough slog it was yet all I’ve read on this fan forum board is mostly a lot of ill informed critique from mostly a bunch moaning ingrates. Why not follow City ? 

Agreed but to be fair some posters were mostly criticising defending at set pieces. I think this is reasonable. You would expect our u18 to deal with the basic defending the senior team has struggled with and thats something Frank needs to look at. In saying that we know we need Rudiger back and to strengthen a bit more so whats the point in calling out individual players?

Having seen the 'bad' times and the 'good' times this manager and team couldn't have come at a better time for me personally. I want them to succeed and I'm loving it so much I'm probably over accepting of some of the performances.

A lot of posters will only have seen some of the best defenders/players that have ever played, not just for the club, but ever. So the standards/expectations might be different.

As long as criticism of the young lads like Reece James (which was out of order) stays on an internet forum and not in the stands theres no harm. The games I've been to this season fans were having a real go at Willian but he should be able to deal with that.

Hope Kante's fit for Sunday. There were a few walking wounded last night.

7 hours ago, Dixons said:

I'm not a Willian cheerleader, but no way was the goal a mis-hit! Just take a close look at his body shape and where he's looking at the moment of impact on the ball. He is clearly aiming to hit it hard onto the pitch.   I agree that overall he didn't have a good game, but credit where it's due for an immportant goal. 

You honestly think he was trying to bounce it into the ground in the hope it'll jump the keeper? Not having it, any player in that position is hoping for a sweet strike there.

I see we are still not confident on defending set pieces and Kepa's clearances are as likely to fall to the opposition as our own chaps.

Didn't see much of the match yet did see James put in a wonderful cross from the Right, low with pace arcing to the six yard space between keeper and players. Tammy's reaction suggests he should have been on the end of it.

Willian took his goal well and yet limped off with what looked like a hamstring injury.

12 hours ago, Munkworth said:

@Brutos f**king Keown is at it now. No wonder these brain dead pricks aren’t coaching. 

I used to play football with him at school boy level. He was a decent bloke back then, now on the telly he talks utter b*****ks. In order for their contracts to be renewed TV pundits often seek to be opinionated and non-bland. I am sure he is a decent guy deep down but he is a prize *nob when speaking about football on the TV. 

6 hours ago, General said:

I’ve just settled down with a bong hit lite beer & shot tequila to enjoy the replay of the very entertaining CL away tie I saw earlier 

We win away a tough slog it was yet all I’ve read on this fan forum board is mostly a lot of ill informed critique from mostly a bunch moaning ingrates. Why not follow City ?  you know your gonna see an impeccable squad, full on press and goals plus most results are wins , every player beyond reproach nearly every match. A top experienced trophy laden manager. Rich owners & about to dominate the league for many a year to come. 

Me I’m chuffed to bits with Franks tenure and the result today  we have academy graduates playing in the 1st team just as it was when I first went to the Bridge. I make no apologies for being an Englishman who finds the local boys in the 1st team just as good as winning every match like City.

William is an easy target  but maybe think outside the box, these young lads need a few older heads on the pitch  - let’s face it apart from Kante & Jorginho most of the senior players are on a par with Willy talent/ stats/ usefulness to the team & gameplan. But they are still a vital part of the squad so why bother constantly slagging them? There’s a transfer ban even if they were that freakin awful the club can’t move them on until it can replace most of them.

So the glass is half full Tammy has today scored his 1st CL goal on his birthday. Last player to net on his b day JFH 2004.

KEEP THE FAITH 💀

Well put and I totally agree,nice touch with the bong lol.    UP THE CHELS !

Seen a few comments worrying about Tomori potentially losing the plot like Christensen did after his first mistake but I don't think we need to worry about that mainly due to who's in charge.

The way Conte was that season I could easily envisage him resenting Andreas after that whereas Lampard will still stick by Tomori and go again. That alone would make hell of a difference.

6 hours ago, General said:

KEEP THE FAITH 💀

Spot on mate, really loving the buzz around Chelsea at the moment. I know a lot of people who have drifted away from the club in recent years even though Chelsea is deep in their hearts and these old friends showing an interest in returning to the Bridge (poor fools, have they no idea how hard it is to get a ticket).  Great result and decent performance. Of course it was not perfect but some people need a reality check.

11 hours ago, Slojo said:

YEP cosigned. 

I think that Barcelona mistake had a huge impact on Christensens career and derailed is the perfect word to use, after that he kept giving the ball away at the back and he was nervous. 

I hope this doesn't affect Tomori, young players are more fragile, hopefully he counts his blessings, learns about clearing his lines more under pressure and puts it past him. 

Definitely. Up until that point most people were clamming on (including myself) about Christensen was by far the best defender we had at the time, it was all looking really good for him up until that mistake against Barca. Ever since then it seems to have taken a mental toll on him as he just kept making silly mistakes again and again. 

Its not so crazy to think that a mistake like that could massively affect a younger player who doesnt have too much first team experience. Luckily for Tomori we still won the game and got 3 points, but if it so happened that Lille had scored both those chances and made it 3-2, no doubt it would have affected Tomori. 

Becoming more and more clear that CHO needs to be starting every game for us now. As soon as he came on he was a menace on the pitch! Also Kante needs more time to heal, and I have no problem with Kovacic filling that role until Kante is fresh and ready. Just as long as we don't rely on Barkley...

7 hours ago, Dixons said:

There's a Lille defender a few feet away from Willian right in line with the keeper and blocking nearly all the goal at that angle. It would have been imposible to score at the near post. Too close to the goal to hit with power and go straight over the defender and keeper then dip sharply into the goal. The only other way he could have scored with a volley from that posistion would have been to swerve it with the outside of his foot and bend it inside the far post,which would have been more difficult than what he chose to do.  

Choose to do lmao. He didn't choose to bounce it into the ground, through the legs of the defender and over the keeper at a perfect trajectory. Christ, not even Messi would choose to try that.

23 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Choose to do lmao. He didn't choose to bounce it into the ground, through the legs of the defender and over the keeper at a perfect trajectory. Christ, not even Messi would choose to try that.

Technically he did what your supposed to do and keep the ball down, what happened after that is just like any volley or long range effort that could be blocked or saved.

I think it's worth remembering that several of our key players were playing in the Championship last season, so to see them now playing for Chelsea in the Champions League and holding their own is incredible. It was a difficult away fixture against a similarly young and exciting team in a tough atmosphere, so a different challenge to anything we've faced so far. To come away with all 3 points is great! 

I do agree that zonal marking is a car crash and we're dreadful from set pieces, both defensively and offensively, and there were a few lapses in concentration which put us in difficulty, but overall I'm very happy with a solid nights work. Also great to see Tammy get a CL goal after missing a few chances in the last game, and CHO coming on and making an impact with an assist.

36 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Unless my eyes are deceiving me (quite possible as my eyesite isn't that great) the ball bounced over the defender who ducked a bit. I maintain a straight forward volley would have either hit the defender or flew over the bar. 

49 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Come on, give him credit, or you just look sour faced, it was a tough ball to even get contact on, dropping out of the sky with a defender right in front of him, limited choices, should he of taken it on his chest and controlled it better and got a more suitable goal ? 

Come on, give him credit, or you just look sour faced, it was a tough ball to even get contact on, dropping out of the sky with a defender right in front of him, limited choices, should he of taken it on his chest and controlled it better and got a more suitable goal ? 

I don't think that's when he's insinuating. With balls like that, you just try to make good contact and then hope for the best. I'm also fairly certain he wasn't trying to bounce it over the defender.

1 hour ago, big blue said:

Re the wilian goal, he did what every player is taught to do with a dropping ball like that, and thats is keep the ball down. Obviously he hasnt planned to bounce it over the keeper, but his technique was exquisite. 

I agree with that the Beeb had a photo of Willian hitting the ball for the goal, he was leaning back and his right foot turned inwards. The defender was trying to close him down but looked too late.

My take is Willian acted instinctively after realising he had a second before he was closed down and hit it first time, if it was not for the bounce think the keeper would have saved it as it was too central.

I don't begrudge him the winner as think recently he has been working hard.