coco

Chelsea v Newcastle (PL) Sat 19th Oct 15:00 GMT

Pulisic good, Willian good, Alonso pretty bad apart from his goal.

On the whole, cant complain about 3 points.

Not that I endorse wishing our own players getting injured, but Barkley going off can only be good for us. Kovacic is miles better than him

1 minute ago, Scott Harris said:

That's a good win, I had a feeling it would be tough. We should have had it wrapped up earlier, but we got the goal in the end. 

They beat Utd last time, which made me wonder if the Bruce effect had started or Utd were just poor.

That might be a better result than it looks.

10 minutes ago, Zero said:

Considering how low his confidence must be, I think Pulisic had a good game.

delete

Edited by mojo

Definitely better in the second half although we seem to drop deep in the last few minutes.

We got there though, 3 points!

Every game is a fight. Every point is a grind. Dominant throughout the whole game. All over them in the 2nd half and should have scored 2 more had dubravka not made those ridiculous saves. 

Very good offensive display by chelsea. Hopefully, there could be more than just top 4 this season. UTC.

Good win with the players that were missing. Nothing new learned today.

Frank made the correct substitutions at the right time.

Dont be surprised if VAR appears on Spurs shirt next season. Joke.

Great result and up to 3rd as we stand.

Second half performance was very good after a slow first half. Lots to work on, but we're building nicely under Frank.

Really optimistic with the direction we're heading in as a club.

A real slog of a game against a side that was very committed in defence and stifled our ability to create chances for much of the game, but good sides come out on top in these encounters and that's exactly what we did. 

RE the goal, Pulisic acts as a 'dummy runner', just like he did against Southampton - he draws several opposition defenders onto him, which allows him to use his vision to release the ball to another unmarked player. Not only that, but yet again Alonso was free in the box. The goal he scored had a distinct similarity to the 'own goal' he drew from Newcastle at their place last season - not only was it struck from a similar angle, but he also acted as a spare attacker in the box. That made him very dangerous early on in 2018-19, because opposition defences were so fixated on marking our attackers that they left him free to slip in and potentially score (he did the same thing against Arsenal). The same thing happened here today.  

We were deserved winners, a very tough first half but second half we were excellent and controlled the game. 

That was a great adjustment, not an easy fixture by any means when you put it into context. International break, so many injuries, Newcastle having more time to rest with less international players and coming off a win against United. 

I thought we did really well. Also Pulisic actually helped the game immensely I thought even though he missed an absolute sitter. 

And Callum Hudson-Odoi, who was that moron who was calling him overrated again? He was amazing today. 

It's a good sign when not be at our best but could easily have won by 3 or 4. Can't recall Kepa making a save.

CHO my man of the match and easily his best performance in the league.

Jorginho played well, as did Kova when he came on.

Tammy and Mount below par. Timori very sloppy and again our worst player. No question now his confidence has gone since the mistakes against Lille. 

Tough game which should have been put out sight a lot earlier. I thought CHO was superb today, he has great vision and great range of passing. 
Well done Pulisic when he came on although I thought he lacked a bit of confidence in front of goal, hopefully he gets a bit more game time. 
Good second half’s for Willian and Jorginho.

Alonso was poor but got us the winner.

Disappointed with Tomori today, give away a couple of really short passes which could have cost us another day. He really has to cut that out, it’s happening every match now.

Well played Frank.

Second half much better, especially that 10-15minutes around the goal.  Not the best game but 3 points after an international break against dogged opponents is nothing to sneeze at!

The pleasing thing about recently is we've not only conceded two goals in four games but given very little in terms of clear chances also. We're starting to control games a lot better now compared to the basketball type matches we saw early on.

Odoi gets MOTM but mentions have to go to Kovacic and Pulisic, completely changed the dynamic of the game after coming on. The fact we can have an injury crisis yet still bring on two players of that calibre speaks volumes as to how strong our squad is now. I think Christian should be starting at Ajax on Tuesday as the type of open game we will likely see will suit his ability's.

Full value for the win, would have been a catastrophy if Newcastle got a result, they did absolutely nothing going forward and despite playing defensively they still allowed about 5 clear chances, absolutely hopeless side.