coco

Watford vs Chelsea (PL) Sat 2nd Nov 17:30 GMT

Kovacic MOTM for me, definitely. The attacking trio of Pulisic, Mount and Willian were very good too. My heart was racing up and down in those final stages. Any equalizer for them would be totally unjust.  We totally dominated that match. 6 points above Arsenal with a considerable better goal difference. United losing too. Wow. Annoying that Jorginho will be suspended for that Palace game as we need to win that before that City game. Loved Lamps post-match interview. He is so composed and speaks well. Abraham also scoring again after going without 3 games or so without a goal was refreshing to see and back to back assists for him too.

27 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

We all know how farcical the use of VAR is, but I'm going to highlight it even more.

Less than a month ago, Watford was playing against Tottenham and Vertonghen not once, but twice, fouls Deleofeu. The ref gave no penalty, just like in our game, and guess what happened next..........VAR didn't overturn the decision, even when everybody could see that it was a clear and obvious error.

SKIP TO 1:00

Now somebody plese explain to me how they can say the ref made a clear and obvious error against us, but at the same time say the one against Tottenham wasn't a clear and obvious error?

I have come to two conclusions. One, it's easy to give a decision against Chelsea, nobody is going to kick up a fuss about it compared to other teams, and two, the refs are incompetent and make it up as they go along.

Christ that video shows just how farcical today's decision was. Same player, very similar situation, much much more of a penalty but var doesnt give it. 

1 minute ago, BadBlue said:

It will not improve, as the whole VAR story is a farce,, it's not the use of technology but rather other referees like Mike. Dean today making decisions behind a screen. Goal line technology is actually a technology that improved decisions in football. 

I think VAR should be put in the hands of the REF that is on the field. He should be reviewing the plays on the field and be accountable for making the decisions.

Not some morons upstairs behind the screen. 

4 minutes ago, STATS said:

The attacking trio of Pulisic, Mount and Willian were very good too. 

I am even more excited about next season. Once Tammy, Mount, Pulisic, and Odoi get a season together under their belt and the chemistry they built together this season; I expect fireworks next year.

It seems we're on our way to achieving every possible realistic scoreline this season.

We've won 1-0, 2-0, 2-1, 3-2, 4-1, 4-2 and 5-2.

We've drawn 1-1 and 2-2, 

We've lost 2-1 and 4-0 

The more I think about it, it's mental. 11 games, 11 different results so far.

2 minutes ago, haviet1 said:

I think VAR should be put in the hands of the REF that is on the field. He should be reviewing the plays on the field and be accountable for making the decisions.

Not some morons upstairs behind the screen. 

Exactly. Orherwise why having a referee on the field? 

Also VAR is excessively used, they have to limit it's use during a game somehow 

Kepa 8 - Made a couple of good stops, especially the one at the death. 

Emerson 7 - one hairy moment otherwise solid and went forward. 

Tomori 7 - Had a dudgy moment too but otherwise solid.

Zouma 9 - Didn't put ma foot wrong. Bailed out other players, made a few great blocks and looking a bit better on the ball.

Azpilicueta 7 - Solid

Jorginho 8 - Great pass for the assist, very strong performance but let down by giving away that dodgy pen.

Kovacic 9 - worked his socks off, made tackles, interceptions, got forward a few times. Only thing is his shooting is abysmal.

Mount 7 - offered movement, tried to make things happen and could have had a couple of goals if it weren't for Foster.

Pulisic 7 - Got the goal and had a couple of moments of good play but still feel he can be doing a lot more with the talent he has.

Willian 8 - Tireless, drive at Watford, carried the ball fantastically well, passing has improved a bit.

Abraham 8 - Two vital contribution with a clinical one touch lobbed finish and also for the low cross that saw Pulisic score.

-------------

Batshuayi 7 - Looked bright when he came on. 

Hudson Odoi - 

James -

As I said earlier, every game is a grind this season in the sense that, despite playing well, no win will be easy. Every win has to be hard earned. Very good performance today. VAR changed the whole game. But funnily enough, I expected a tough game. But couldn t imagine VAR playing a major part in it though. 

Edited by Londonisblue

Got over the line and took the points in the nervy end so FairPlay to the team and SFL a club record made to boot 

VAR here to stay so they say !

Team is playing some very enjoyable football at the moment. Let’s face it Watford huffed & puffed & VAR’d a goal. But all too late 

All players put in another stellar away shift 

Bring on Ajax ...

Thought he had another good game as the defensive screen. Still not enough for me in the final third though Dean. He is getting forward more. He is getting into scoring positions. He has to make it count. End of.
The ball back to Jorginho in our own box was a very poor decision. But we have seen similar from Tomori. As a team, when we are under pressure, we need to be pragmatic and know when to play and when to hoof it.
I actually thought today was possibly Kovacic's best performance for us. My man of the match. If he could pick up the ball and drive the game forward like he occasionally did today more often then he would go a long way to persuading me he could compete to be a regular starter.

Hudson Odoi was disappointing today. Came on when we were in a 'f**k don't blow it' phase and did his best to blow it. Can you imagine Jose's reaction to his cameo!

2 hours ago, just said:

Thought he had another good game as the defensive screen. Still not enough for me in the final third though Dean. He is getting forward more. He is getting into scoring positions. He has to make it count. End of.

The ball back to Jorginho in our own box was a very poor decision. But we have seen similar from Tomori. As a team, when we are under pressure, we need to be pragmatic and know when to play and when to hoof it.

Just, sit back and enjoy Kovacic, because he's a f**king unbelievable player. Today he was on a different level.

Just, sit back and enjoy Kovacic, because he's a f**king unbelievable player. Today he was on a different level.
No he isn't. He was very good today but classing him as 'f**king unbelievable' is like bigging up Gazza for being a piss artist when Oliver Reed was an option. He has become a good squad player but he isn't, and will never be, a key player in any team pushing for major trophies. That isn't necessarily a criticism as teams pushing for the big trophies need good squad players but they also need real top class midfielders and Kovacic isn't that. He isn't a Lampard, Makalele, Kante, Silva, Iniesta, Xavi... I could add 50 more. He is good, he isn't great and he certainly isn't unbelievable.

5 minutes ago, loz said:
17 minutes ago, Davey Baby said:

No he isn't. He was very good today but classing him as 'f**king unbelievable' is like bigging up Gazza for being a piss artist when Oliver Reed was an option. He has become a good squad player but he isn't, and will never be, a key player in any team pushing for major trophies. That isn't necessarily a criticism as teams pushing for the big trophies need good squad players but they also need real top class midfielders and Kovacic isn't that. He isn't a Lampard, Makalele, Kante, Silva, Iniesta, Xavi... I could add 50 more. He is good, he isn't great and he certainly isn't unbelievable.

Liverpool, Ajax and Watford, he's been unbelievable in my view. He's getting into his stride and we're seeing what a player he can be. If Jordan Henderson can be a key player in a side pushing for trophies, I reckon Mateo Kovacic can, easily.

Liverpool, Ajax and Watford, he's been unbelievable in my view. He's getting into his stride and we're seeing what a player he can be. If Jordan Henderson can be a key player in a side pushing for trophies, I reckon Mateo Kovacic can, easily.
Then you're easily impressed. If a player is 'f**king unbelievable' then you're gutted if they are missing for a big game. For example in the last 20 years if we were in a major cup final and, in the build up someone like Drogba, Hazard, Terry, Lampard, Makalele etc etc got injured you'd be gutted. If it was Kovacic you'd think 'not ideal but not a disaster'

Anyone see MOTD tonight?  Lineker made a comment about Frank and his young players passing all their trials, and Shearer started laughing right away and then Ian Wright started laughing in delay.  Am I alone in missing the gag?  I had fast forwarded through most of their chatter on the previous matches tonight.

12 minutes ago, mojo said:

MOTD - they didn't even mention VAR decission

Unbelievable isn't it, totally ignored the whole thing, yet when one went against Liverpool they spent ages on it. Very weird. 

4 minutes ago, loz said:
11 minutes ago, Davey Baby said:

Then you're easily impressed. If a player is 'f**king unbelievable' then you're gutted if they are missing for a big game. For example in the last 20 years if we were in a major cup final and, in the build up someone like Drogba, Hazard, Terry, Lampard, Makalele etc etc got injured you'd be gutted. If it was Kovacic you'd think 'not ideal but not a disaster'

All I'll say is, what we saw today from him, there are very few midfielders in the world that can play like that. He was f**king unbelievable, in my eyes.

Unbelievable isn't it, totally ignored the whole thing, yet when one went against Liverpool they spent ages on it. Very weird. 
It was a penalty though. Yes he dived after the contact but he was clearly caught.

I hate VAR and would rather go back to the days of not having it and just accepting that mistakes will be made. But that isn't going to happen so we have to live with it. The penalty today was the right decision in this new video evidence era as there was clear contact.

All I'll say is, what we saw today from him, there are very few midfielders in the world that can play like that. He was f**king unbelievable, in my eyes.
Really? I thought he had a great game today but Watford were poor. You honestly think there are very few midfielders in the world who wouldn't have thrived against a poor Watford team? That's not a dig at him, he can only perform against what is put in front of him but the idea that many quality midfielders wouldn't have shone against Watford today seems odd to me.

2 minutes ago, loz said:

It was a penalty though. Yes he dived after the contact but he was clearly caught.

I hate VAR and would rather go back to the days of not having it and just accepting that mistakes will be made. But that isn't going to happen so we have to live with it. The penalty today was the right decision in this new video evidence era as there was clear contact.

That's never a penalty, there was nowhere near enough contact to take him down or impede him. Unless your one of those who goes with "he felt contact so had every tight to go down" bullsh*t. 

That's never a penalty, there was nowhere near enough contact to take him down or impede him. Unless your one of those who goes with "he felt contact so had every tight to go down" bullsh*t. 
There was clear contact. The sort of contact that players from every team go down from week in week out. I guess it depends if you think a foul needs a player to go down before it's a foul. Jorginho catches him and is nowhere near the ball. It's a foul so has to be a penalty.