Jump to content

coco

Chelsea v Ajax (CL) Tue 5th Nov 20:00 GMT

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, sonic90 said:

From looking at the highlights again Veltman saw the shot and with the new rules saying his arm impeding the shot makes it a pen so it should be, but it wasn't intentional so a 2nd yellow was harsh.

Tammy's handball was freaking insane as it deflected onto his hand and he had no idea where the ball was, overall we got the better 'deal' and the 2nd yellow was the thing that even gave us a chance to draw, 9 man Ajax was still capable of making a chance against us let alone 10

Agreed. Gotta admit that the 5th goal disallowed was the good call according to the rules. Because if we were to take the old rules, maybe therewould not have been even a 2nd pen tbh (although handball was clear but under the old rules, there would have been a necesseary appreciation of the deliberate intent). Actus Reus and Mens Rea are not needed anymore for handballs and pens. Only Actus Reus needed haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, loz said:
15 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:
Bit harsh that we were 4-2 down, got it back to 4-4 and woulda been 5-4 if not for handball decision. I think they done well, probably should have put Ajax under a bit more pressure but ‘no idea’ is a little harsh all things considered.

I don't think it's harsh. We only really scored 1 goal against 9 as the penalty to take it to 4 3 was all part of the same incident. For about 20 minutes we were at home against 9 men and they looked as likely as us to score for large parts of it. We never looked like a team playing intelligently. Against 9 men there is space everywhere. You keep playing short quick passes. There is no need to dribble round two players or go for extravagant pin point accuracy balls over the top. Keep it simple. We never did that.

fair enough but I still think you’re being overly critical. We missed a couple of great chances and score a disallowed goal in those 20 minutes as well. Bats should have scored from 6 yards out. I agree we can improve in situations like that as the youngsters get more experienced but I just think saying we had no idea is harsh as if we’d taken our chances we could have scored another couple of goals on top of what we did.

 

I’d have taken 4-4 when we were 4-1 down so I won’t complain too much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Davey Baby said:

 

It was handball, according to the new rules. I'm just saying it wasn't deliberate, as you state. Not that it makes a difference either way.

You can't be sure that it wasn't deliberate, but funny thats a huge leap you just made, from not being a handball and me needing a new pair of glasses, to "No no it was but, but not deliberate"...
 

His body language and actions during the whole game suggest it was a clear decision making to just stop the ball with his hand, how he clearly got his first yellow card by pushing Willian off the pitch is also an indication of his attitude, or are you going to say that he also didn't want to commit a foul on Willian?
He had time to simply block the shot with other parts of his body as well, their whole defense was in panic mode, that's what I saw. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Valerie said:

Oh lord :laugh2: Just got Joe Cole through the barriers to the Millennium hotel at the Bridge. Just when I was asking a security guard how to negotiate the barriers, a guy - obviously Joey Cole - asked the same question. I could show my hotel key card, but the guard asked Joe Do you have a ticket or a card? And I exclaimed He's a former player, yeah! So we could both go through, and Joe, clearly in a rush, panted Thank you at me. In the hotel lobby there was an opportunity to try and talk to him, but as he was clearly in a hurry, I let him off the hook.

I keep bumping into our old boys :brunette:

Getting closer to Carlo on ex-player at a time...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I the only one thinking that we should have done better against Ajax at home with no supporters? I thought we were bordering the embarrassment with the goals we let in. 5 shots and 4 goals... We would’ve never have got back if they’d not gone down to 9, though deservedly. And they are a young side too. Hopefully we learn from this but these midweek games are not going very well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

You can't be sure that it wasn't deliberate, but funny thats a huge leap you just made, from not being a handball and me needing a new pair of glasses, to "No no it was but, but not deliberate"...
 

His body language and actions during the whole game suggest it was a clear decision making to just stop the ball with his hand, how he clearly got his first yellow card by pushing Willian off the pitch is also an indication of his attitude, or are you going to say that he also didn't want to commit a foul on Willian?
He had time to simply block the shot with other parts of his body as well, their whole defense was in panic mode, that's what I saw. 

 

Please show me where I said it wasn't a handball. I've just questioned the rules, not the referee, and I've questioned the quality of your glasses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Valerie said:

Oh lord :laugh2: Just got Joe Cole through the barriers to the Millennium hotel at the Bridge. Just when I was asking a security guard how to negotiate the barriers, a guy - obviously Joey Cole - asked the same question. I could show my hotel key card, but the guard asked Joe Do you have a ticket or a card? And I exclaimed He's a former player, yeah! So we could both go through, and Joe, clearly in a rush, panted Thank you at me. In the hotel lobby there was an opportunity to try and talk to him, but as he was clearly in a hurry, I let him off the hook.

I keep bumping into our old boys :brunette:

Nice one Val. The old "hotel key card" ploy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Davey Baby said:

 

Please show me where I said it wasn't a handball. I've just questioned the rules, not the referee, and I've questioned the quality of your glasses.

OK it's my mistake. I agree to disagree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Liam said:

Another brilliant night in this fantastic season. I will say though that the players deserve better from the home crowd when the loudest sound in the first 60 minutes is the chorus of disapproval when someone makes a mistake. 

The fans shouldn't be walking out after 55 minutes either. Have they not watched recent seasons in the Champions League? A lot of us thought the game was lost at 4-1, but that doesn't mean we should stop giving the team support.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was one of the maddest games I've ever been to, from the action on the pitch to the crowd behaviour.  Here are some.of the Ajax fans that weren't there.  Did they talk about that on TV?  Van Der Beek ran to them after their 4th goal.  Bloke on front of me was going mental at them.

20191105_204714.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Dan72 said:

That was one of the maddest games I've ever been to, from the action on the pitch to the crowd behaviour.  Here are some.of the Ajax fans that weren't there.  Did they talk about that on TV?  Van Der Beek ran to them after their 4th goal.  Bloke on front of me was going mental at them.

20191105_204714.jpg

I think they were with Ajax, boardroom bods & hangers on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, RMH said:

Am I the only one thinking that we should have done better against Ajax at home with no supporters? 

In the first half it sounded like there was only 20 Chelsea fans in the stadium.  I thought with Frank as manager, playing our young players, doing well and playing nice football the atmosphere would be way much better than last season, but for some reason it's still very flat at times. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Davey Baby said:

 

I know it went in our favour but it drives me mad. We got a pen, to get a second booking on top is way too harsh. It's beyond a farce. He literally could do nothing about it.

It was harsh but the ref played on after Blind's foul as we had the ball still. The fact that Veltman backed off and did a "Gary Cahill" is just poor defending on Ajax' part. I thought the ref was spot on given the new rules and everything plus he even played advantage for us. Clattenburg or Atkinson would have stopped play and give Pulisic a yellow for diving in that situation.

 

1 hour ago, Davey Baby said:

 

It's almost getting to the point where if your defender gets booked, you'll have to sub him straight away, because you can't risk it.

For Ajax, it should've been because Veltman was clearly getting rattled over every little thing and Blind is too slow to catch up to our players that he kept shoving people left right and center. If I was Frank, I'd have told the boys to try and draw a yellow card out of both of them. The Ajax manager should've taken them off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Valerie said:

As a chef, you should know :wink:

It's not bad actually, but I haven't eaten since 8 am, so I'm not overly critical. I wonder how Diego Drug Cartel (I feel rather silly typing that user name) is doing in the  Zola suite.

Didn't even bother with the suite to be honest, had a glass of wine and headed straight to my seat! 

My goodness, absolutely incredible atmosphere in the stadium. When the 5th went in I reckon I got tossed down 3 rows. Only for VAR to ruin everything :dash1:Nonetheless, I couldn't have asked for a better first match visit at the Bridge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Dan72 said:

That was one of the maddest games I've ever been to, from the action on the pitch to the crowd behaviour.  Here are some.of the Ajax fans that weren't there.  Did they talk about that on TV?  Van Der Beek ran to them after their 4th goal.  Bloke on front of me was going mental at them.

20191105_204714.jpg

There were quite a bit of their fans who got through Hospitality. Some of them though were taking the piss as Ajax kept scoring and if I'm not mistaken stewards kicked out at least 1 person.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That game was mental. Frustrated not to win in it the end, but I feel it would have been incredibly harsh on Ajax. We got pretty unlucky conceding two own goals, but our defending of the wide areas was simply not good enough. Our first penalty was definitely there, but I felt like the second was soft. His arm was by his side...the yellow card on top of the penalty seemed liked overkill to me. Just like our 5th being ruled off was harsh with Tammy's hand by his side, not knowing where the ball was. Only four minutes at the end was shambolic, but as I said, a draw is a fair result all things considered. I thought in general the refereeing was abysmal.

We seem to be playing better away at the moment, so hopefully we seal our spot with a win in Spain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep. Mental. Was exactly what I came here to say. Everything about it. 

2 own goals.

VAR all over the place.

Disallowed goals, goals that maybe shouldn't have been allowed...

Ups and downs, 2 sendings off and and a pen in the same bit of play. 

Zouma turning to Ronaldo.

4mins of injury time when it should have been closer to 10.

Mental.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

I think they were with Ajax, boardroom bods & hangers on. 

Ah yeah makes sense.  Was very weird to have them in the West Stand.  Tons of low key Dutch fans in tonight too but fair play, we'd do the same most likely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surprised no one put a gif of Zouma's amazing run through the pitch. If he scored that the Bridge would have erupted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...