Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 03/12/2019 at 18:41, the special one said:

Take no joy from suggesting it put it that way, as you say just a different way of looking at it. SAF built his legacy around selling the top players at the right time.

There is something to this. The amount of times SAF would sell a key player, pundits would say ‘that’s crazy’ and he was vindicated and it was great business. If we’re honest with ourselves, there were instances when we should have sold players but doing so would have been unpopular with the fans at the time ... It’s a bit like the stock market. When it seems crazy to sell, it’s often the right thing to do and vice versa (the analogy with football breaks down there for obvious reasons). I’m not endorsing selling Kante here by the way. But from a purely business angle, everything has a price and we shouldn’t dismiss it out of hand.

Edited by Dean
Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Dean said:

There is something to this. The amount of times SAF would sell a key player, pundits would say ‘that’s crazy’ and he was vindicated and it was great business. If we’re honest with ourselves, there were instances when we should have sold players but doing so would have been unpopular with the fans at the time ... It’s a bit like the stock market. When it seems crazy to sell, it’s often the right thing to do and vice versa (the analogy with football breaks down there for obvious reasons). I’m not endorsing selling Kante here by the way. But from a purely business angle, everything has a price and we shouldn’t dismiss it out of hand.

Kante a world class player, but said yesterday to someone if the right money was offered then selling must be considered

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/12/2019 at 19:53, Dean said:

There is something to this. The amount of times SAF would sell a key player, pundits would say ‘that’s crazy’ and he was vindicated and it was great business. If we’re honest with ourselves, there were instances when we should have sold players but doing so would have been unpopular with the fans at the time ... It’s a bit like the stock market. When it seems crazy to sell, it’s often the right thing to do and vice versa (the analogy with football breaks down there for obvious reasons). I’m not endorsing selling Kante here by the way. But from a purely business angle, everything has a price and we shouldn’t dismiss it out of hand.

Not sure i'd put it that way but I take your point. For me it's much simpler, SAF sold the top players to prevent stagnancy. Pochettino got the sack because he kept the same group of players at the club for too long.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have we ever sold a key player, just because the offer was too good to refuse?

Notable sales

Mata - He wasn’t playing under Mourinho.

Robben - Wanted out

Hazard - Dream to play for Madrid

Anyone else? I don’t think we care much about the money, even if someone offered 100m for Kante we’d turn it down.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dansubrosa said:

Have we ever sold a key player, just because the offer was too good to refuse?

Notable sales

Mata - He wasn’t playing under Mourinho.

Robben - Wanted out

Hazard - Dream to play for Madrid

Anyone else? I don’t think we care much about the money, even if someone offered 100m for Kante we’d turn it down.

Oscar 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, dansubrosa said:

Have we ever sold a key player, just because the offer was too good to refuse?

Notable sales

Mata - He wasn’t playing under Mourinho.

Robben - Wanted out

Hazard - Dream to play for Madrid

Anyone else? I don’t think we care much about the money, even if someone offered 100m for Kante we’d turn it down.

This would certainly have been the case in the earlier part of the abramovich era but I’m not sure about now. I think he cares more about the money / running it as a business these days.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dean said:

This would certainly have been the case in the earlier part of the abramovich era but I’m not sure about now. I think he cares more about the money / running it as a business these days.

Its an interesting point you raise. With his visa issues he may be less interested in the club and could be more interested in the clubs bank balance. It's a possibility. The additional TV money will help with the day to day running of the club but the sale of Hazard and Morata does generate a huge sum of money. Whether Roman sees this as cash in the bank or a transfer fund we will find out in the next two transfer windows. I'm pretty sure recent results and performances are saying something about the depth and energy in the squad. It needs some experience and power and a lack of investment could prove costly in the long run. I'm sure he see's the value in playing champions league football and will want to remain in that type of company.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/12/2019 at 20:07, chi blue said:

Kante a world class player, but said yesterday to someone if the right money was offered then selling must be considered

I suggested some months ago that maybe ,just maybe we should be looking at letting Kante go and got pelters.

 

At times  we all tend to take a very short term view and I am guilty of that as the next person but for the first time in many a year we truly seem to be building a squad based on HG status mainly achieved through the academy. But and a big but we need to add talent and yes whilst I agree Kante is world class his transfer value and contract length at this point in time means he is worth mega money and for me the decision to keep or sale is one that the powers that be will struggle to make.

I personally would sell him if any offer around £90 million comes in.

Add his name to the others I would sell either now or in the summer and here’s the list

Alonso, Barkley, Willian, Pedro, Giroud, Kante, Zouma & Batshuayi. That’s before you look at those currently out on loan such as Drinkwater,  Bakyoko,( spelling) Moses, Zappacosta along with several others. 

We need to spend big on a CD , a LB , a wide player and another forward.

 

It seems possible that Ake may  be coming back, Chilwell looks top class, Sancho or Zaha are being talked about neither would be my choice and Werner seems on the radar.aAny four from that five would cost north of £200 million but that would easily be financed from selling the players I list above.

Add the likes of Ampadu who will return from loan then the squad will be better but the question would be by how much.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

54 minutes ago, terraloon said:

I suggested some months ago that maybe ,just maybe we should be looking at letting Kante go and got pelters.

 

At times  we all tend to take a very short term view and I am guilty of that as the next person but for the first time in many a year we truly seem to be building a squad based on HG status mainly achieved through the academy. But and a big but we need to add talent and yes whilst I agree Kante is world class his transfer value and contract length at this point in time means he is worth mega money and for me the decision to keep or sale is one that the powers that be will struggle to make.

I personally would sell him if any offer around £90 million comes in.

Add his name to the others I would sell either now or in the summer and here’s the list

Alonso, Barkley, Willian, Pedro, Giroud, Kante, Zouma & Batshuayi. That’s before you look at those currently out on loan such as Drinkwater,  Bakyoko,( spelling) Moses, Zappacosta along with several others. 

We need to spend big on a CD , a LB , a wide player and another forward.

 

It seems possible that Ake may  be coming back, Chilwell looks top class, Sancho or Zaha are being talked about neither would be my choice and Werner seems on the radar.aAny four from that five would cost north of £200 million but that would easily be financed from selling the players I list above.

Add the likes of Ampadu who will return from loan then the squad will be better but the question would be by how much.

 

 

I'm glad you're not in charge of our transfer policy then. We sold our best and only other world class player last summer. I don't think we need to flog off Kante as well just to raise funds.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Andy North said:

Its an interesting point you raise. With his visa issues he may be less interested in the club and could be more interested in the clubs bank balance. It's a possibility. The additional TV money will help with the day to day running of the club but the sale of Hazard and Morata does generate a huge sum of money. Whether Roman sees this as cash in the bank or a transfer fund we will find out in the next two transfer windows. I'm pretty sure recent results and performances are saying something about the depth and energy in the squad. It needs some experience and power and a lack of investment could prove costly in the long run. I'm sure he see's the value in playing champions league football and will want to remain in that type of company.

 

According to the ft today an American group wanted to buy but their offer was below the £3bn abramovich is looking for. Suggests he is indeed looking to sell at the right price. Is this new news? I’m surprised I haven’t seen it anywhere on the forum. But if true, would strengthen the argument that he’d be more focused on balance sheet, pnl, etc and more inclined to sell a player for top dollar..

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, terraloon said:

It seems possible that Ake may  be coming back, Chilwell looks top class, Sancho or Zaha are being talked about neither would be my choice and Werner seems on the radar.

I am always intrigued when people say they don’t Sancho. Willian is on the decline, Zaha is at his peak, and Sancho is  way off his peak. If there is even any chance we are in the mix, IMO we will be mad not to be interested.

FE7ACBEA-2502-4177-89E2-B36478BCC8D9.png

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dean said:

But if true, would strengthen the argument that he’d be more focused on balance sheet, pnl, etc and more inclined to sell a player for top dollar..

But if you want to make money you keep your best players and win trophies, gain support, increase sales, buy more top players, and repeat, only selling top players when we have to.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, coco said:

But if you want to make money you keep your best players and win trophies, gain support, increase sales, buy more top players, and repeat, only selling top players when we have to.

I don’t disagree with that necessarily and I don’t want us to sell Kante. I’m just not ruling out that there’s a price at which selling Kante would make sense with the aims you mention in mind. Eg if someone offered enough money to buy 2 kantes  or an equally good midfielder and top defender, that would add value and further the other aims you mention. Just want to reiterate though, it’s not what I want and I’m not a fan of this side of the game. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Dean said:

According to the ft today an American group wanted to buy but their offer was below the £3bn abramovich is looking for. Suggests he is indeed looking to sell at the right price. Is this new news? I’m surprised I haven’t seen it anywhere on the forum. But if true, would strengthen the argument that he’d be more focused on balance sheet, pnl, etc and more inclined to sell a player for top dollar..

I'm not so sure. £3bn is the type of price that would put anybody off. I would sell my house if I could get 30% above market value.

The fact it didn't hit the back pages leads me to believe it isn't a serious offer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Andy North said:

I'm not so sure. £3bn is the type of price that would put anybody off. I would sell my house if I could get 30% above market value.

The fact it didn't hit the back pages leads me to believe it isn't a serious offer.

 

For what it’s worth:

‘A US financier who co-owns the Los Angeles Dodgers baseball team has tabled a takeover offer to acquire London’s Chelsea Football Club from Russian oligarch Roman Abramovich, according to a person briefed on the matter.

The offer by Todd Boehly, the former president of asset manager Guggenheim Partners, was made last month and fell short of the £3bn valuation that Mr Abramovich is believed to be seeking for the English Premier League club, this person said without specifying the exact price.

The Wall Street Journal, which first reportedthe bid, said Mr Boehly’s offer had been rejected. Mr Boehly remains interested in pursuing a deal, the person added. Chelsea could not be reached for comment. A spokesperson for Mr Boehly declined to comment.

The bid marks the latest example of US investors looking to acquire stakes in European football clubs. It comes several days after US private equity group Silver Lake took a $500m stake in City Football Group, the owner of Manchester City football club, in a deal that valued the company at $4.8bn.

The Financial Times reported in August last year that Mr Abramovich appointed Raine, a US merchant bank, to conduct a “strategic review” of the London football club he purchased in 2003, after receiving multiple offers from potential buyers. One of those offers came from Silver Lake.

Buyers had circled Chelsea last year as a possible acquisition target following an escalation in tensions between the UK and Russia following the poisoning of former Russian military intelligence officer Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia in Salisbury in March 2018.

Subsequent to that Mr Abramovich took Israeli citizenship after his application for a UK investor visa was delayed. Chelsea then shelved plans for a new £500m stadium in west London, citing an unfavourable investment climate.’

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dkw said:

Anyone who thinks selling Kante is a good idea is an idiot, plain and simple. Its such a ridiculous thing to think.

While i don't agree with selling him he's getting to the age we need look at long term succession planning. We didn't do it with the old guard and it came to bite us on the arse big time.

I remember using the example of Modric back in the day, we could have signed him instead of Deco gave him 1/2 years to integrate into the club and when it got to the point Lamps and Essien stagnated we had a brilliant 24 year old ready to pick up the baton.

We could do a lot worse than similarly identifying an early 20's player with huge potential so we're fully ready and prepared for whenever the dreaded day Kante's legs go come.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, terraloon said:

I suggested some months ago that maybe ,just maybe we should be looking at letting Kante go and got pelters.

 

At times  we all tend to take a very short term view and I am guilty of that as the next person but for the first time in many a year we truly seem to be building a squad based on HG status mainly achieved through the academy. But and a big but we need to add talent and yes whilst I agree Kante is world class his transfer value and contract length at this point in time means he is worth mega money and for me the decision to keep or sale is one that the powers that be will struggle to make.

I personally would sell him if any offer around £90 million comes in.

Add his name to the others I would sell either now or in the summer and here’s the list

Alonso, Barkley, Willian, Pedro, Giroud, Kante, Zouma & Batshuayi. That’s before you look at those currently out on loan such as Drinkwater,  Bakyoko,( spelling) Moses, Zappacosta along with several others. 

We need to spend big on a CD , a LB , a wide player and another forward.

 

It seems possible that Ake may  be coming back, Chilwell looks top class, Sancho or Zaha are being talked about neither would be my choice and Werner seems on the radar.aAny four from that five would cost north of £200 million but that would easily be financed from selling the players I list above.

Add the likes of Ampadu who will return from loan then the squad will be better but the question would be by how much.

I'm the mad bastard who thinks if we swapped kante for a 6 foot central midfielder who can pass and retain possession, our team would improve. I suggested at times that selling hazard would mean our attack improves, which it has. 

Kante is world class at being a midfield player, but offers nothing from set pieces (like kovacic,jorginho and Mount) and offers nothing going forward (like kovacic and jorginho). Kova jorg and Kante in any midfield is a bad midfield, kante, kova + mount is just bad defensively. 

Kante will make the most money out of kovacic and jorginho, by far, and means we can invest in a midfielder that is truly box to box. Or at least able to contribute to set pieces at both ends of the park. 

Edited by bisright1
Link to post
Share on other sites

After our superb start i really didn’t want us to buy anyone, and let the ‘youngsters’ prove them selves. It’s now pretty obvious we need to splash some cash. Everyone will agree the best formula is a mixture of youth and maturity. Our seasoned players to me are the weak link in that formula. Big clearance of dead wood, get as much as possible and invest in some quality. Not easy but I think it needs to be done.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Argo said:

While i don't agree with selling him he's getting to the age we need look at long term succession planning. We didn't do it with the old guard and it came to bite us on the arse big time.

I remember using the example of Modric back in the day, we could have signed him instead of Deco gave him 1/2 years to integrate into the club and when it got to the point Lamps and Essien stagnated we had a brilliant 24 year old ready to pick up the baton.

We could do a lot worse than similarly identifying an early 20's player with huge potential so we're fully ready and prepared for whenever the dreaded day Kante's legs go come.

Hes 28, not exactly old now is he. There`s plenty of games in him yet, I doubt we could buy someone now to replace him in 5 years time, or even start grooming a young player now. 

When could we have signed Modric? Because we couldn't when he was at Tottenham. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dkw said:

Who do we buy with that £1bn to replace him? Theres literally no point selling a player that good if you cant even replace him.

Erm.. A world class tough-tackling midfielder, a world class back 5, and keep the £500mn odd balance for other investments?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Well, this is awkward!

awkward the office GIF

The Shed End Forum relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible without pop ups, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online and continue to keep the forum up, as over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this domain by switching it off. Some of the advert banners can actually be closed to avoid interferance of your experience on The Shed End.

Cheers now!

emma watson yes GIF

Alright already, It's off!