Anyone catch Frank's interview post game?  He was not only pissed at our poor finishing but he started to sound a bit tetchy about our lack of incomings. 

Not quite Mourinho eggs and omelettes or Conte I have no say but it sounded like he has a view and wants some action and it isn't happening.

8 hours ago, Spiller86 said:

Anyone catch Frank's interview post game?  He was not only pissed at our poor finishing but he started to sound a bit tetchy about our lack of incomings. 

Not quite Mourinho eggs and omelettes or Conte I have no say but it sounded like he has a view and wants some action and it isn't happening.

Certainly beginning to look like we’ll resort to panic signings. I expected us to have Cavani wrapped up by now if we wanted him. This club never will learn.

40 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

Certainly beginning to look like we’ll resort to panic signings. I expected us to have Cavani wrapped up by now if we wanted him. This club never will learn.

This is the issue isn't it. We're like the kid that does nothing until the night before the assignment is due. Occasionally we might fluke a good one but mostly we get what we deserve.

It's even worse doing this in January. No one wants to lose a good player at the last minute and then have a hole in their squad for the second half of the season. 

What's more amusing is that we appealed and paid however much in legal fees to have the opportunity to buy in this window and we'll end up serving our full punishment.

Edited by Spiller86
3 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

This is the issue isn't it. We're like the kid that does nothing until the night before the assignment is due. Occasionally we might fluke a good one but mostly we get what we deserve.

It's even worse doing this in January. No one wants to lose a good player at the last minute and then have a hole in their squad for the second half of the season. 

more of a case of slim pickings In January rather than our fault?

Edited by Dean
7 minutes ago, Dean said:

Are we at fault in this case, though, or is it more of a case of slim pickings as in any January window? Seen from the other side, nobody wants to part with a top striker mid-season.

As always it's a little column A and a little column B. 

That said. If you watch Frank after the game last night he didn't sound happy with the situation at all and he is the one who'll carry the can if we miss out on European football.

For me it's the long term struggles in the market that are concerning. It's not this window it's the awful recruitment for 3 seasons despite spending huge sums of money that bothers me. 

Edited by Spiller86
3 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

As always it's a little column A and a little column B. 

That said. If you watch Frank after the game last night he didn't sound happy with the situation at all and he is the one who'll carry the can if we miss out on European football.

For me it's the long term struggles in the market that concern me. It's not this window it's the awful recruitment for 3 seasons despite spending huge sums of money that bothers me. 

Agree. Our track record in the period you mention has been abysmal. The stats in terms of return on investment  must be shocking 

Just now, Dean said:

Agree. Our track record in the period you mention has been abysmal. The stats in terms of return on investment  must be shocking 

Someone posted it in here one day. It's close to 300m without improving the squad. I mean it's not as bad as Utd but its the wasted opportunities after Jose and Conte won the league that grind my gears. We're struggling to be top four and we could have built on those years and forged great teams that competed every year.

I think we should just pay whatever they want. We clearly need reinforcements, for example if Madrid wanted 60m for Isco it’s worth every penny imo as he’d improve the first team.

We have a lot of money surely we can afford to overspend a little on players that’d improve the first team, rather than penny pinching and end up with another dross player like Zappacosta.

40 minutes ago, sonic90 said:

Is anybody signing anyone? How has Giroud not moved yet? Utd failing to get a player from Portugal and Arsenal failing to get a player from Brazil for less than 10m...

Very Quiet, Bit of a let down for the media who've been pushing the rumours for months now. Give it until the last day and they'll go into melt down. As said hopefully no last minute panic buys.

34 minutes ago, Kev56 said:

Very Quiet, Bit of a let down for the media who've been pushing the rumours for months now. Give it until the last day and they'll go into melt down. As said hopefully no last minute panic buys.

They Can't Wait Till Deadline Day, Where Us, United And Arsenal Will Be Linked With Every Tom, Dick And Harry, Only For Maybe Steve To Be Signed

I'm as frustrated as anyone that we haven't bought anyone yet.  We know Marina isn't going to spend a single Pound/Euro/Shekel more than she/the club thinks is the right value for that player.  It's clear that any player we inquire about in this window is going to have an inflated price because the selling club knows we are desperate to maintain the Top 4 spot, and we have money to spend after being forced to sit out a window.  There's a Plan A player list, and a Plan B player list, and if we are being quoted Plan A prices for Plan B players, then I can see where we might be hesitant.  A lot of people are saying we should spend whatever it takes, but we have a disadvantage of at least 20,000 seats in our stadium as compared to some of the other top teams.  

I have to assume that things are operating exactly as Roman wants them to run.  If he was not happy with our lack of transfer activity, he would change it.  As the owner, he would either direct the people in charge to get certain players by whatever means necessary, or he would replace those people with others who would follow his wishes.  

Frank and the current squad have done a nice job so far, and Frank deserves some backing.  But he's not the first of our recent managers to not get the signings he's asked for.  You have to assume that Jose, Conte, Sarri, and Frank all discussed how they would be backed with signings during their interviews for the job.  Each of their frustrations would lead you to conclude that the eventual reality did not meet their expectations.

I just don't want any more Drinkwaters, Zappacostas, Rahmans, or Djilobodjis.

unispiring window so far. 

Signing no one is a massive gamble, i think we really need champions league football to afford some if the big names we have been linked in the summer. 

I get that this is a tough month, but i still find it frustrating we dont seem to be able to strengthen. Its not like this squad is full of quality, you would think we could bring in 1 or 2 that are better than what we have already.

We never really seem to be ahead of curve in the transfer market, and its like we just react to see what options become available. 

When is the last time we went into a window, and signed a player that the club had lined up for a while to fit in with the current managers plans? 

Probably have to go back to costa and Fabregas. 

4 hours ago, Boston Blue said:

I'm as frustrated as anyone that we haven't bought anyone yet.  We know Marina isn't going to spend a single Pound/Euro/Shekel more than she/the club thinks is the right value for that player.  It's clear that any player we inquire about in this window is going to have an inflated price because the selling club knows we are desperate to maintain the Top 4 spot, and we have money to spend after being forced to sit out a window.  There's a Plan A player list, and a Plan B player list, and if we are being quoted Plan A prices for Plan B players, then I can see where we might be hesitant.  A lot of people are saying we should spend whatever it takes, but we have a disadvantage of at least 20,000 seats in our stadium as compared to some of the other top teams.  

I have to assume that things are operating exactly as Roman wants them to run.  If he was not happy with our lack of transfer activity, he would change it.  As the owner, he would either direct the people in charge to get certain players by whatever means necessary, or he would replace those people with others who would follow his wishes.  

Frank and the current squad have done a nice job so far, and Frank deserves some backing.  But he's not the first of our recent managers to not get the signings he's asked for.  You have to assume that Jose, Conte, Sarri, and Frank all discussed how they would be backed with signings during their interviews for the job.  Each of their frustrations would lead you to conclude that the eventual reality did not meet their expectations.

I just don't want any more Drinkwaters, Zappacostas, Rahmans, or Djilobodjis.

A lot of good points in here and of course in the end we don't know who was available for what price and what Frank thinks. I think we can all agree we don't want Drinkwaters etc. 

I don't think we should be concerned about money. We're still a very wealthy club and have sold 200m worth of players in the last 12m. The stadium stuff I think is a misnomer. The new stadium has set Arsenal back a long way and it may eventually do the same for Atletico and Spurs. Most of the money comes from TV and the CL.

For me I think with the emergence of our youth players I'd love to see an approach where instead of 30m spending on dross we keep our powder dry for the big players. That said, we have some concerns re: goals right now and a huge reliance on Tammy. I think a deal for a Piatek say is worth doing. Some are saying we should wait for Werner but I'm not convinced he is that much more special than those going around on the market now. 

46 minutes ago, big blue said:

unispiring window so far. 

Signing no one is a massive gamble, i think we really need champions league football to afford some if the big names we have been linked in the summer. 

I get that this is a tough month, but i still find it frustrating we dont seem to be able to strengthen. Its not like this squad is full of quality, you would think we could bring in 1 or 2 that are better than what we have already.

We never really seem to be ahead of curve in the transfer market, and its like we just react to see what options become available. 

When is the last time we went into a window, and signed a player that the club had lined up for a while to fit in with the current managers plans? 

Probably have to go back to costa and Fabregas. 

I know it didn't work out in the end but in that window we signed Filipe Luis as well, that was one hell of a window of transfers for us.

As frustrating as it has been in some games where Chelsea/Lamp dropped points where they shouldn't have, I still prefer to see them sit out this transfer window.

I hate to see Lamp and the board bring in a short term fix, that's likely to be very expensive, but does not necessary fit into the longer term vision of the team.

Do the best you can with what you have now, and ride it out until summer. Buy what you need then, with hopefully a bigger checkbook.

28 minutes ago, sonic90 said:

I know it didn't work out in the end but in that window we signed Filipe Luis as well, that was one hell of a window of transfers for us.

Great player, but just didnt really settle with us. 

At least we replaced him with baba!

25 minutes ago, haviet1 said:

As frustrating as it has been in some games where Chelsea/Lamp dropped points where they shouldn't have, I still prefer to see them sit out this transfer window.

I hate to see Lamp and the board bring in a short term fix, that's likely to be very expensive, but does not necessary fit into the longer term vision of the team.

Do the best you can with what you have now, and ride it out until summer. Buy what you need then, with hopefully a bigger checkbook.

The only risk is that we might not have enough depth and fitness to keep the 4th spot.

Not playing in the Champions League isn't that much big of a deal since Roman will always back the club IMO but not being in top 4 might damage our reputation just enough so that the best players for the long term that we would like to sign in the summer just become impossible to get due to not playing in the Champions League.

14 minutes ago, Boston Blue said:

If alleged stories are to be believed, Jovic on a 6 month loan would get us through to the next window.  I know he's been below expectation at RM, but he's physical and tough, has shown he can score, offers us something different to Tammy in style.  Low risk on a short loan.

I'm hesitant on the short term loan, but it could be very beneficial if he links well with the squad and gets some playing time. I just think that they are difficult, especially coming to a league like the premier league where it can take players a full season to really adapt to the style of play. But, some players do adapt quite quickly, it's just a little more rare.

Dries Mertens is a decent player. Not a long term option but this is a beggars choosers situation. We’ll be hit more than our rivals if we miss out on top 4 judging by some of the financial analysis that’s out there so it’s a gamble worth taking. I can see him playing behind Abraham and giving opposition defenders more problems than our current static approach.