I can't look at Twitter anymore......I've unfollowed or blocked every idiot and immature crybaby I could.  

I wish the board backed Frank with some players.  I'm also happy we didn't just pay "whatever it takes" for some targets, or bring in more mediocre players.

But.......the board waited too long to do something.  We knew Giroud was not in the plans and wanted to leave.  We knew we needed to replace him.  We know transfers get more difficult the closer you get to the window closing.  We appear to have been unprepared despite the effort to overturn the transfer ban.

27 minutes ago, Sindre said:

Over to you @coco

As a matter of fact.

I've had it so please:

1. Ban him
2. Ban me

Please choose to do one of those two. Whatever you decide to do is fine with me and i won't be bothering you or anyone else if you choose to ban me.

Thanks.

@coco

Edited by Sindre
4 minutes ago, coco said:

I'm in Leicester atm, i cant ban people on the mobile version. I just drove past Coventry, i think you would both like Coventry, i can drive you if it helps.

Thats fine. Do it when you get home. 

4 hours ago, Davey Baby said:

Whatever happens Frank needs to stay humble, remember he's under-qualified for the job, and keep his thoughts to himself, rather than go bitching to the press. He's the manager, he's paid to get the best out of his squad, it's up to the board to get transfers done, and if they couldn't do it this window, he mustn't let it sour our season or his relationship with them, because that will only make us all suffer and he'll end up out of work. Every manager wants to improve their squad, you don't always get what you want, hopefully Frank is a bit more mature than some of our previous incumbents and has his eye on the long game. It would make a nice change.

Also, to those bemoaning the fact we're yet to sign someone, either in this window or last, that doesn't tell the full story. Pulisic arrived, we signed Kovacic, Zouma returned. Those are three signings straightaway and most clubs would be happy with those. Reece James has entered the scene, Mason Mount, Tomori, Callum. We signed last season's top scorer in the Championship and so far he's got 15 goals. We didn't sign him but you get my point. These are all new players and they're pretty good ones. Ruben's returning.

There's room for improvement in our squad but it's not all doom and gloom, not by a long shot. Frank needs to stay positive. If the deals weren't there to be done, or we couldn't get the players we wanted, we'll leave it to the summer, and hopefully we'll learn our lessons and bring in real quality. All season long Frank's been saying we won't just bring players in for the sake of it, he's said he only wants players that will improve us. If we have to bide our time so be it, and I hope Frank remembers what he's said all along, rather than trying to absolve himself of any responsibility. 

Any complaints he has should be kept in-house. He needs to be professional and not start upsetting the suits above him, otherwise I'm afraid we'll all pay the consequences.

Excellent post. Rep to you Sir!

I am actually glad Chelsea did not make any panic/over priced purchases this winter. Wait it out, and upgrade in the summer. Plan for the long terms.

I don't really care that we didn't sign anyone. As Davey pointed out above, we have a bucket-load of players, youthful and raring to go. They have no agendas, aren't being paid mercenary wages, and will give/have given their all for the club.

January is always a silly/strange window, a time to re-tune and make tiny additions to squads if necessary- there was no one worth having or a player easily obtainable, we didn't sign anyone and didn't lose anyone big (R.I.P. Tariq Lamptey) . 

We continue! 

12 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

@yorkleyblue I’m not paying your bail again. 

:biggrin:  Surely I wouldn't get banned for pointing out the intrinsic faults in someone's abuse of the person based on an Evening Standard click-bait link that other people have also identified as misogynistic and based purely on the person in questions gender?

11 hours ago, abramovich said:

Well, that's the thing, if the club is so confident about securing their targets in the summer, or at least that's the PR line they're going with, why not do a Pulisic type of a deal and sign at least one and register him for the next season? 

Why do people bang on about the Pulisic deal? His type of deal was an exception not the norm. Don't you think if that type of deal was regularly possible the whole of Europe would be doing it systematically? Pulisic was done quickly because he refused to sign a new deal and our offer was unlikely to be matched by anyone else that summer. With Sancho say it's the opposite, he has years left on his deal and will almost certainly attract a bidding war (and a strong Euros will put his price up even higher), it would be financially brain dead of Dortmund to accept a Pulisic like deal for Jadon, they hold all the cards with him.

Also Pulisic is another example of my point that us attracting players without guarenteed CL isn't impossible, he agreed to leave a club almost certain to be in the CL the following season to come here at a point we were far from guarenteed a place.

I don't think any potential deal is solely dependant on us qualifying for the CL, not even Sancho.

1 hour ago, haviet1 said:

So do I. Simply because Man U, Spuds, and Arsenal are a bigger mess.

That's why I always laugh when people say "top 4 is done" after a bad result. We're 5 points above teams who can barely string two wins together and have all the chasing pack at home still. That's a huge advantage at this stage.

3 minutes ago, Argo said:

That's why I always laugh when people say "top 4 is done" after a bad result. We're 5 points above teams who can barely string two wins together and have all the chasing pack at home still. That's a huge advantage at this stage.

It's actually 6 points, but good point, well made, mate

4 minutes ago, yorkleyblue said:

:biggrin:  Surely I wouldn't get banned for pointing out the intrinsic faults in someone's abuse of the person based on an Evening Standard click-bait link that other people have also identified as misogynistic and based purely on the person in questions gender?

Where the hell are you getting this from? Anyone can read all my posts in this thread and there is no Marina-abuse whatsoever. 

I challenge anyone to point it out for me. 

Luckily one of us will be off this forum soon. 

I’m happy for no panic buys, no overpriced over aged transfers but the club need to start working hard on the summer window now.

I thought this was meant to be Cechs department now. Speak to Lamps about what he wants, identify some targets and start making moves. Early signings and a good preseason for once!

So with that said, see you all next deadline day for some more mediocre panic buys :laugh2:

41 minutes ago, haviet1 said:

So do I. Simply because Man U, Spuds, and Arsenal are a bigger mess.

Are they? We have looked terrible the last few weeks. We also have very tough games approaching,  starting tomorrow. I am not confident whatsoever.

I blame the club for singing underage players and leaving Lampard to take over this mess, when it could have easily been avoided and left us in a stronger position. 

It's not Marina's fault that nobody is doing the scouting, she has done great actually.

Her job is to make deals not to scout players. She managed to sell washed up players like Diego Costa for 60m and Matic for 40m. It's not her fault that someone thought Bakayoko will be the next great DM.

We are taking a huge risk by not signing anyone, if Tammy gets injured we can say goodbye to Champions League football. It's obviously not the end of the world but having in mind that we have no real backup that would make the club look very irresponsible. 

1 hour ago, enigma said:

Are they? We have looked terrible the last few weeks. We also have very tough games approaching,  starting tomorrow. I am not confident whatsoever.

Lets put this another way, we're 6 points behind a team that battered us at home, still have them to play away and have our best player out of the season

Or

We're 6 points of the team we're trying to catch in 4th having just been comfortably beaten at home to Burnley. We have our best performing player of the season injured for months, potentially for the season.

Would under either circumstance, you be confident of catching the team in 4th?

For all our faults we are still better than United and convincingly better than that stale Spurs side.

Edited by Argo
18 minutes ago, Argo said:

Lets put this another way, we're 6 points behind a team that battered us at home, still have them to play away and have our best player out of the season

Or

We're 6 points of the team we're trying to catch in 4th having just been comfortably beaten at home to Burnley. We have our best performing player of the season injured for months, potentially for the season.

Would under either circumstance, you be confident of catching the team in 4th?

For all our faults we are still better than United and convincingly better than that stale Spurs side.

We have 3 home games left that will likely be pivotal in our efforts to secure a top 4 spot - Wolves, Spurs, and United. I think if we avoid defeat in those 3 games we will have a great chance of top 4. If we win them even better. 

8 minutes ago, forbzy said:

We have 3 home games left that will likely be pivotal in our efforts to secure a top 4 spot - Wolves, Spurs, and United. I think if we avoid defeat in those 3 games we will have a great chance of top 4. If we win them even better. 

We lost to West Ham, Southampton  and Bournemouth at home this season, so anything's possible. 

I’ve seen a lot of bedwetting nonsense on social media today like most people. The worst of it seems to about us holding onto Giroud as though he’s a hostage and we’re going to chop his head off in the desert. A lot of this nonsense is no doubt from glory hunters who jumped on the band wagon during the last decade and this isn’t what they signed up for. It’s the kind embarrassing stuff we expect to see from Man Utd or Arsenal fans. 
I agree with some of the posters above in that Lampard should have at least portrayed more faith in the squad publicly even though he was privately unhappy. There’s now a lot of negativity around the club and it only puts more pressure on us to get results now.

January windows are often quiet and so this one isn’t really atypical of what most January windows have been previously. The difference this time is simply the context of being post the transfer ban and the patchiness of the results and the squad has meant fans have been getting a bit desperate.

I am however for the first time concerned about the long term strategy of the club under Abramovich. I am going to stay patient and see what the summer brings as that will tell us a lot more. It does feel like we are a cross roads between building a team that can challenge or one that’s happy to be around the top six and a period of ‘managed decline’. It has felt that way since that disastrous window of 2017 and Conte’s subsequent departure a season later. Added to stadium situation the signs haven’t been positive recently.
Anyway, let’s beat Leicester tomorrow and forget about all this bollocks.

14 minutes ago, Zagger said:

I’ve seen a lot of bedwetting nonsense on social media today like most people. The worst of it seems to about us holding onto Giroud as though he’s a hostage and we’re going to chop his head off in the desert. A lot of this nonsense is no doubt from glory hunters who jumped on the band wagon during the last decade and this isn’t what they signed up for. It’s the kind embarrassing stuff we expect to see from Man Utd or Arsenal fans. 
I agree with some of the posters above in that Lampard should have at least portrayed more faith in the squad publicly even though he was privately unhappy. There’s now a lot of negativity around the club and it only puts more pressure on us to get results now.

January windows are often quiet and so this one isn’t really atypical of what most January windows have been previously. The difference this time is simply the context of being post the transfer ban and the patchiness of the results and the squad has meant fans have been getting a bit desperate.

I am however for the first time concerned about the long term strategy of the club under Abramovich. I am going to stay patient and see what the summer brings as that will tell us a lot more. It does feel like we are a cross roads between building a team that can challenge or one that’s happy to be around the top six and a period of ‘managed decline’. It has felt that way since that disastrous window of 2017 and Conte’s subsequent departure a season later. Added to stadium situation the signs haven’t been positive recently.
Anyway, let’s beat Leicester tomorrow and forget about all this bollocks.

I think that Roman pumping 247m into the club from his own pocket shows he is still interested in us. This though of course is unsustainable, couple that with the losses in the last financial year and it is clear we have to become more prudent with our finances. No use spunking money away on players who aren't going to improve the squad though as @Sindre has pointed out 3 strikers have moved on that would have been an improvement on Bats and Giroud, how achievable were they we aren't privy to and in the case of Haaland the transfer apparently was very complicated. It is though of course a gamble with our Champions League position, achieve it and we will no doubt sign big in the summer. Without it though a large chunk of the Hazard money might be required to sustain our already bloated wage bill.

There is an excellent video on youtube on our finances and the reason we need Champions League.

1 hour ago, Zagger said:

I’ve seen a lot of bedwetting nonsense on social media today like most people. The worst of it seems to about us holding onto Giroud as though he’s a hostage and we’re going to chop his head off in the desert.

At this point he is locked away to move simply because nobody else is coming in, nobody in-nobody out.