Sign in to follow this  
Juan Nil

Best player so far?

With so many players impressing under Frank who would be your pick as the best player so far this season?

For me it has to be Kovacic, with Kante being injured for most of the 12 games he has been pivotal to our success and if we had of been playing Barkley I dont think we would be playing half as well.

Kova has stepped up a level since last season and done very well and now firmly ahead of Barkley in that position.

However, I'd say Tammy has been the best so far. Many (myself included) thought we'd struggle to score enough goals  and he was nothing more than a good Championship level striker. There's no hiding place in his position, you score goals and if you don't you're a flop, so he's done exceptionally well so far.

Best thing is, he's doing so well. yet there's still room for a fair bit of improvements too. Just hope he keeps working hard and doing well for himself and the team.

Edited by Dixons

Really tough to chose I feel. Virtually everyone in the squad has delivered when called upon.

For consistency alone, it's between Jorginho and Willian for me.

Kova - no doubt...................could chose from 5 or 6 players but Kova has proven he can play 'total football' - he can tackle, cover, intercept, dribble, burst forward, pass short and quick, give and go, or that final ball into a crowded box.

He also runs his nuts off, never complains and can do the water-carrying and the fancy stuff

Top player

2 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

Jorginho for me, he's been the most consistent player in the team since the season started.

Yep, second that. Been the controlling influence on the team this season and has made the pass of the season already. 

Kova and Jorginho have really come on in their second season in the prem. I would say being available for every match and performance wise it is hard to overlook Kova, Jorginho and Abraham. So out of those three I think I would lean towards Kova slightly over Jorginho. But as I typed that, I was flip-flopping back to Jorginho over Kova so... really it can either one of them honestly.

28 minutes ago, Davey Baby said:

Glad I'm not the only one who rates Kovacic so highly. Didn't much rate him last season. This season different gravy. Probably our best player so far but there's a few contenders.

I feel like I learned a while back that we need to give players a full year in the premier league before we start to judge a player, typically. It seems that season 2 is where a player really starts to make their mark in the league if they are going to. Of course, that isn't always factual and some players make an impact immediately, but it seems like it is pretty consistent with the physicality and competitiveness of the premier league overall. Thought both Kova and Jorginho have made real strides from last year to this year.

16 minutes ago, chiefBlueCFC said:

I feel like I learned a while back that we need to give players a full year in the premier league before we start to judge a player, typically. It seems that season 2 is where a player really starts to make their mark in the league if they are going to. Of course, that isn't always factual and some players make an impact immediately, but it seems like it is pretty consistent with the physicality and competitiveness of the premier league overall. Thought both Kova and Jorginho have made real strides from last year to this year.

Couldn’t agree more. Really important to allow for this. Salah and de Bruyne played a pretty big part in me coming to that realisation. 

As for our best player, I’m naturally a bit biased on Kova. Willian and Jorginho definitely contenders. But as Just said, it’s really about the team effort. So am I allowed to say Not-Hazard? Don’t get me wrong, he’s a legend, maybe the best player that ever played for us and i’m forever grateful for what he brought and the chance to watch him play. But it seems pretty clear now we were overly reliant on him. His presence in the latter part of his career with us hindered the development of the team, team spirit, and frankly it wasn’t helpful that he had one eye on Madrid - those non-committal press conference responses about his future were painful to watch and can’t have been a good thing for the team.

Go on, admit it ... It's Willian by a country mile. His game management and experience has held it all together and allowed the youngsters to shine.

Has to be Kovacic or Jorginho for me, both of them have been fantastic all season. Willian wasn't consistent enough at the start, the last 7 or so games he has played he has been fantastic though, he's in great form at the moment. 

Kova and Jorgi are the two most improved and have been our best IMHO. 

I was always a fan of Pulisic. Great to see he's making his mark.

Kova is the best player for me. Was a fan of him back in the Inter days but was worried that he might have lost his spark last season after years of kicking his heels at Real. This season he's almost a world class player. All that's left is for Frank to teach him how to score. Add that to his game and we've a future Ballon D'or player on our hands.

Loads of good performers so far this season, so it’s a difficult question. Goals win games though, so I’d have to give Tammy the edge. 10 in 12 league games is a brilliant return so far and they’ve also been important goals. Off the top of my head he’s won us 3 games this season – Wolves, Norwich and Watford (all away). He should also have won us the game against Sheffield United, but our defence let us down.

It seemed like a disappointing result at the time, but having seen how well Sheffield have done so far it isn’t such a bad result. Same case with Leicester.

I have to go for Jorginho and Abraham, they’ve been consistent all season, even though Kovacic is on fire at the moment!

Best: Jorginho

Most important: Tammy. 

I don't think Giroud or Bats get a third of the goals, thus we'd be nowhere near top 4. 

Tammy for me and to a slightly lesser degree Tomori.. for me as good as kova and Jorgi have been we would still have options to select from without a great drop in quality.. on the other hand the fact that Rudi and AC have been out for so long had Tomori not stepped up we would have really struggled defensively.. on the other hand with out Tammy's goals we would be know where... and i dont think Bats or Giroud would have scored even a 3rd of his numbers..

5 hours ago, DannyVblue said:

Off the top of my head he’s won us 3 games this season – Wolves, Norwich and Watford (all away). He should also have won us the game against Sheffield United, but our defence let us down.

He's also scoring goals that put us 1-0 up too which i think is a good trait for a striker, rather than someone like Lukaku who used to add the 4th in a 4-0 win. As well as the games you mentioned he has also put us 1-0 up against Palace and Southampton.