coco

Chelsea v West Ham Utd (PL) Sat 30th Nov 15:00 GMT

Just now, Scott Harris said:

You get an idea of how good a team are after going on a good run and then losing, so far, our reaction to a defeat has been poor. We lost to City, even though we played well, then we followed up with two poor performances in a row. We need to go on a run of wins again now to gain back some momentum. If we don't, then I can see us dropping out of the top 4 very quickly.

Mourinho will turn spuds around quickly. In some respects he already has. Letting in 2 goals a game must be grating with him, but he has got to do it now so that people change the narrative about him being defensive, boring and past it. But he will turn them around.We need to up our game and losing to sh!te like this is totally unacceptable.

Just now, abramovich said:

CHO hasn't done anything so far to suggest he should start ahead of Willian.

Agreed he hasn’t shown anything yet unlike pulisic.

Has that old Chelsea tradition- the mid-season slump - crept up on us? I didn’t watch - luckily it seems. This isn’t a ‘told you so’ as I didn’t think/know  it would happen today, but the warning signs have been there. We all got a bit ahead of ourselves, me included. No need to extrapolate last few games into a “season in tatters” narrative though. Lots of work to be done, problems to fix, but we should trust SFL and the team to do it. Hopefully we recover our form soon and 4th place is within reach. Probably the sooner we are out of the CL the better, as we haven’t got a hope in hell of getting far enough for it to count for anything.

Amazing how differently can see a game. I can't see how anyone can have an opinion other than that Jorginho was really poor today. Also CHO offered very little when he came on and Kovacic was fairly average throughout. I saw nothing that suggests they had good games.

James was good in the first half but faded badly in the second and did get his pants pulled down and his knob yanked for the goal.

West Ham were very organised at the back and defended well. Not something you can ever really say about us.

2 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

James was at fault for the goal, he did what Emerson did against City, he let the attacker cut inside and get a shot away. I thought he was really poor in the 2nd half. He put a few decent balls into the box in the first half, but didn't produce any bit of quality in the second half. Jorginho was very poor by his standards. He was too slow with his reactions and played a few loose passes, he never got into the game. Emerson was the same as ever, ineffective. Hudson-Odoi didn't do much when he came on, our attacking didn't improve a single bit.

Well, sure he was at fould for the goal. I still think he did very much throughout the whole game and on both sides of the pitch. Like I argued last time when Emerson was at fault, there should always be a backup to cover that inside because any good player is capable of doing that move and there is simply not much you can do about it. I agree that Jorginho could have done better, sadly it looks like his role just changed a bit and this is affecting him, I knew before the game started that no matter what happens he will be gone by minute 65'...I see Emerson as a reliable player, but sure he didn't really create much so I can't argue against that notion, he was ineffective but at least solid in defense, that's what I expect from him anyway.

I liked to see Hudson-Odoi though, it's true that our attacking didn't improve at all but he looked good with the ball and managed to keep the ball in our possession at least. I think he should start the next game, Pulisic looks like he needs a rest.

1 minute ago, Frankie8Lampard said:

A lot of people didn't agree with me when I said the City game was poor, but I still stand behind those words. As I said in that match thread, that was a weakened City team that hasn't been on good form and we could have done more. The fact that they dropped points today proves that. IMO the City and Valencia game are really a prelude to this game and we need to pick up form fast or we could find ourselves in a bit of a slump. 

We lost to WHU so now you want credit because you said we were poor against city ?

Missing Tammy today would make a slight difference wouldn't it ?

4 minutes ago, mojo said:

he stopped dangerous one two pass and the arm is not behind his back. I am sure that would be given to scousers any given time

zip.gif

That's a clear penalty, I dare to say that they would have had it if it were Zouma that was the handboy instead.

Just now, coco said:

We lost to WHU so now you want credit because you said we were poor against city ?

I don't think he's asking for credit, I think he's just pointing out that we were poor against a really poor City side. I actually agree to an extent, although I still think we did well and I wasn't too disappointed, we played some good football. 

But yeah, missing Tammy today made all the difference, I doubt we would've lost if we had him. 

Dodgy stream and missed chunks of the match.

Wasted a number of half decent chances in the first half.

In the second they took their goal well, we could make a point about Zouma’s positioning or Kepa not getting a hand to it yet it was a good goal.

We couldn’t break them down, the number of crosses from the right from James or Willian and no-one got on the end.

A number of times players struggled to control simple balls, stumbling over them, examples - Kovacic and Kante.

West Ham did a fair amount of fouling not all punished.

Was surprised a couple of times to see Kante further up the pitch than Willian when we were defending.

Willian on the edge of their box looked very one footed.

A number of times when receiving the ball, the player looks to play it back when a quick break is on, so frustrating.

Surprised Bats was not brought on to convert some of these crosses, we had both James and Willian crossing yet no recognized striker in the box. I would have brought off Frank’s golden boy, Mount.

Kepa saved us on one of those corners with two good saves and had the awareness to appeal their ‘second’ goal.

Frank needs to have a think about how we breakdown a well executed 4-5-1 where they take the lead against the run of play.

3 minutes ago, abramovich said:

I think it's a bit unfair on Willian, who was one of our better players this season. The other two would have been gone already if it wasn't for the transfer ban.

It's the same story with Willian though. He's poor, then he has a purple patch to make people forget, then he goes back to being poor. He's gone back to producing one or two decent performances in 10.

We have been repeating ourselves for 7 seasons now, I'm bored of it. 

By far the most lackluster performance this season (apart from maybe the first 20 mins). As others have already mentioned - we are toothless up front without Tammy. His work off the ball and the positions he gets himself in were missed today. I'm not sure what the thinking was behind starting Pedro and Giroud to a degree but we move on. Let's hope Tammy is back sooner rather than later.

3 minutes ago, abramovich said:

CHO hasn't done anything so far to suggest he should start ahead of Willian.

whereas Willian has a free pass into the team every week despite his lack of goals,assists, crosses finding a blue shirt, key passes, you know all the things an attacker should be notching up.

Just now, coco said:

Tammy would have helped the team if he played but we've still been poor even in the last two games he played. Our defence for example looked like it was improving before the city game but now we are back to conceding easy goals from both set pieces and open play

12 minutes ago, loz said:

West Ham were very organised at the back and defended well. Not something you can ever really say about us.

That's not something you could normally say about West Ham either. Prior to this game they had conceded 9 goals in the last three matches. Think we were so poor today they had it fairly easy and of course they always lift their game when they play us and Declan Rice likes to play a blinder against the club who released him as a kid.

We knew this season was a work in progress and there would be ups & downs - today was most definitely a down. Hopefully Lamps and Jody learnt a lot and certain players will not feature again and be released in January and let's pray we win the appeal on the ban and can get another striker otherwise the pressure is really on for poor Tammy.

Knew it was coming from about 55 minutes. We were just never going to score. Lots of the ball, but West Ham sat back and we just kept trying to pass it through them, or fire crosses at their first man. My head said we'd lose this, but I went with my heart in the prediction thread. 

10 minutes ago, loz said:

Amazing how differently can see a game. I can't see how anyone can have an opinion other than that Jorginho was really poor today. Also CHO offered very little when he came on and Kovacic was fairly average throughout. I saw nothing that suggests they had good games.

James was good in the first half but faded badly in the second and did get his pants pulled down and his knob yanked for the goal.

Fair comment and I can't really argue against it, I was wrong to claim otherwise. I guess that had we won, some of these players would have been fine because they only did their role and nothing else.

Edited by Gol15

2 minutes ago, coco said:

Yes, but if we can't beat West Ham because we are missing Abraham, it's a pretty sobering summation of where we are at. Listen, i love our football, and i love having SFL and JM at the helm, but regardless of formations, players availability etc, this is a sh*t result, possibly Franks' worst in charge of us. Fcked up the weekend and sh!t at work now until the naext game comes around.

whereas Willian has a free pass into the team every week despite his lack of goals,assists, crosses finding a blue shirt, key passes, you know all the things an attacker should be notching up.
Got to be honest Coco, when there was all the fuss about CHO not signing a new deal and a big money offer there for him I was alll for accepting it (obviously that was before the transfer ban)

I'm not convinced by him at all. Not saying Willian or Pedro are the answer either but nothing I see from CHO so far makes me think any differently to what I did bank then.

1 minute ago, loz said:

Got to be honest Coco, when there was all the fuss about CHO not signing a new deal and a big money offer there for him I was alll for accepting it (obviously that was before the transfer ban)

I'm not convinced by him at all. Not saying Willian or Pedro are the answer either but nothing I see from CHO so far makes me think any differently to what I did bank then.

Except is just 19 and still learning the game

I was surprised to see Pedro start ahead of CHO today, it looked like great opportunity for Callum to get back to full match sharpness. But I suppose Frank would say he has to use the squad in certain games or risk bigger problems down the road. Anyone know what the latest is on the Transfer Ban Appeal is? Wasn't it suppose to start around now? Even replacing Giroud would make a noticeable difference.

1 minute ago, loz said:

He hasn't shown enough since returning from injury that is for sure. Had a decent game against Newcastle but not much since. I was impressed with what I saw from him last season though.

were Super Frank's decisions homage to Emery? No true Center Forward & all of those crosses into the box? I have to lay blame on Frank for this loss. I still support him, but IMHO he missed a trick here.

Edited by robdog

Just now, robdog said:

were Super Frank's decision homage to Emery? No true Center Forward & all of those crosses into the box? I have to lay blame on Frank for this loss. I still support him, but IMHO he missed a trick here.

He maybe just wanted to help out Pellegrini so that he doesn't get sacked :drinks: