Moussa Dembele

• 4 weeks later...

He's probably a better option than what we have. He is a top finisher with experience in England and Scotland which means he'll be used to the style and crucially speaks the language already. 

For me the issue remains his first touch which makes Lukaku look like Henry. His passing and work outside the box is also poor. The risk is he could be another Michy. 

That said if the price is okay I can see him as someone capable of playing a role while ensuring Tammy remains the lead. A better option than Werner.

20 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

He's probably a better option than what we have. He is a top finisher with experience in England and Scotland which means he'll be used to the style and crucially speaks the language already. 

For me the issue remains his first touch which makes Lukaku look like Henry. His passing and work outside the box is also poor. The risk is he could be another Michy. 

That said if the price is okay I can see him as someone capable of playing a role while ensuring Tammy remains the lead. A better option than Werner.

If he has a poor work ethic, first touch and cannot pass then he sounds worse than Batman. We dont need to be going backwards with our signings.

42 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

If he has a poor work ethic, first touch and cannot pass then he sounds worse than Batman. We dont need to be going backwards with our signings.

He's a risk no doubt. My thing that I think makes him better than Michy is that he isn't stationary outside the box. He'll run the channel or get the ball and dribble at an opponent. 

Michy just wants everything to be a layoff so he can get on the end of the move in the six yard box. He adds precisely zero outside that zone. 

He is strong, and quick, has decent technique, and seems fairly intelligent.

But he doesnt really have the versatility that someone like werner would bring, so i think it would him or tammy. 

I wouldnt be disappointed though, he is better than giroud and batshuayi, arguably better than Abraham, although i think they are at a similar level.

13 minutes ago, big blue said:

He is strong, and quick, has decent technique, and seems fairly intelligent.

But he doesnt really have the versatility that someone like werner would bring, so i think it would him or tammy. 

I wouldnt be disappointed though, he is better than giroud and batshuayi, arguably better than Abraham, although i think they are at a similar level.

We won't get Werner. Why would he leave? Leipzig have the chance to win the league, and they are through to the next stages of the CL. Right now we are way off the title, and top four is far from a certainty. He may have the chance at going to a better placed club than us in summer. 

Edited by enigma
Just now, enigma said:

We won't get Werner. Why would he leave? Leipzig have the chance to win the league, and they are through to the next stages of the CL. 

I dont think he would. Maybe in the summer though.

If we sign Dembele now, i cant see us signing Werner aswell in the summer. Thats why i compared the 2. 

I dont think a back up to tammy is that important in January, i would much rather bring in a wide player or attacking midfielder. 

48 minutes ago, big blue said:

I dont think he would. Maybe in the summer though.

If we sign Dembele now, i cant see us signing Werner aswell in the summer. Thats why i compared the 2. 

I dont think a back up to tammy is that important in January, i would much rather bring in a wide player or attacking midfielder. 

Problem is, I don't know where we would fit all these players. Hypothetically, if we signed Werner and Dembele, what happens to Abraham? Neither of these players will be happy to be second place for most of the season.

The same if we signed Sancho or Zaha, what about Hudson-Odoi and Pulisic? I think we have to be a little realistic because this isn't Fifa. We cannot buy all these good players. We either have to pay out loads of money or scout really well and find a bargain like Liverpool did with Robertson for e.g.

7 minutes ago, enigma said:

Problem is, I don't know where we would fit all these players. Hypothetically, if we signed Werner and Dembele, what happens to Abraham? Neither of these players will be happy to be second place for most of the season.

The same if we signed Sancho or Zaha, what about Hudson-Odoi and Pulisic? I think we have to be a little realistic because this isn't Fifa. We cannot buy all these good players. We either have to pay out loads of money or scout really well and find a bargain like Liverpool did with Robertson for e.g.

I think Abraham, Werner, Sancho, Pulisic, Hudson-odoi, Willian is fine. 6 players for 3 positions. 

I dont really see what is unrealistic about that scenario at all. 

No one is suggestion a fifa type spending spree. 

Are you suggesting we just stick with what we have, and then get a cheap back up options? 

We are a big club that spends big money, we spent £200m last season, i dont see why it would be any different this season. 

On 01/01/2020 at 00:09, Spiller86 said:

I was feeling quite optimistic about him until I read your post Spiller86,if this is correct then it's a no thankyou from me.

32 minutes ago, big blue said:

I think Abraham, Werner, Sancho, Pulisic, Hudson-odoi, Willian is fine. 6 players for 3 positions. 

I dont really see what is unrealistic about that scenario at all. 

No one is suggestion a fifa type spending spree. 

Are you suggesting we just stick with what we have, and then get a cheap back up options? 

We are a big club that spends big money, we spent £200m last season, i dont see why it would be any different this season. 

Agree with this.

Personally would sell Willian and try bring in another world class winger like Ousmane Dembele perhaps. He has potential to be incredible, but is somewhat injury prone.

If we could get this sorted as our attacking/striker options and sort out the defence, then we have a great side

On 31/12/2019 at 18:16, Spiller86 said:

He's a risk no doubt. My thing that I think makes him better than Michy is that he isn't stationary outside the box. He'll run the channel or get the ball and dribble at an opponent. 

Michy just wants everything to be a layoff so he can get on the end of the move in the six yard box. He adds precisely zero outside that zone. 

That is great and all but again with poor work ethic, passing and first touch what use is it if he keeps losing the ball with such flaws?

Breaking | Lyon release statement “reaffirming our desire to keep Moussa Dembélé. The club has complete confidence in Moussa and we count on him as we build a powerful team for the seasons to come.”

Same thing they did with Ndombele and Lacazette before selling.  Think this may have legs

22 minutes ago, RickUK said:

Breaking | Lyon release statement “reaffirming our desire to keep Moussa Dembélé. The club has complete confidence in Moussa and we count on him as we build a powerful team for the seasons to come.”

Same thing they did with Ndombele and Lacazette before selling.  Think this may have legs

Also kicked up a fuss before selling Essien - seems to be their way of saying we want more money.

Should grab Depay instead. Those who want Werner because of his versatility across the front would be happy with Depay in that regard. Stylistically different for the most part, otherwise, but Depay can play on the wing or central.