coco

Chelsea v Lille (CL) Tues 10th Dec 20:00 GMT

3 minutes ago, Snedger said:

and yet manage to look about as threatening as a paraplegic coming at you with a sponge. And then we go full Fred Karno's at the back.

This is f**king hilarious, thank you for the laugh mate. :laugh2:

Still can't quite work out Franks tactics in most of the games this year, he constantly brings on attacking players when games demand that we manage and defend, Jose was a master at it and I would have thought Frank would have learned a lot from him, but it seems he hasn't and there have been a few games this year where we have dropped points by not seeing out games....anyway onward and upwards...guaranteed to get Juve next round. 
I thought both the CHO and Mount changes were strange ones. I wouldn't have brought CHO on at all. Less of a disagreement with bringing Mount on but I would have hooked Jorginho instead and moved Kante back.

If we have a bid for him in a few weeks from Liverpool or City for say £40m, would you be happy to sell him to them ?
Yep. Sorry I don't think he is ever going to be top drawer. You can develop the technical ability of youngsters but you can never properly train attitude. He is a coaster for me. I don't think he has the desire or commitment to be a top class player.

1 minute ago, loz said:
7 minutes ago, CFCCAN said:
Still can't quite work out Franks tactics in most of the games this year, he constantly brings on attacking players when games demand that we manage and defend, Jose was a master at it and I would have thought Frank would have learned a lot from him, but it seems he hasn't and there have been a few games this year where we have dropped points by not seeing out games....anyway onward and upwards...guaranteed to get Juve next round. 

I thought both the CHO and Mount changes were strange ones. I wouldn't have brought CHO on at all. Less of a disagreement with bringing Mount on but I would have hooked Jorginho instead and moved Kante back.

Probably trying to give Kova a rest, he’s played a lot of 90 minutes lately. 

That's possible and would explain it but not sure it's the thing to do when CL qualification isn't secured.

Relief. Lamps and the team got complacent for sure. Thought he took off Pulisic way too early tbh. He was our best offensive outlet and was terrorizing them. We took him off just past the 60th minute. Should have waited for a third. We got sloppy towards the ends but Rudiger and Zouma looked quite solid until the final stages of the game. Look, whoever we play in the knockouts we will be up against. There are too many world class teams in the team finishing top of their groups. But that is what the CL is about. I did not want us dropping down to the Europa League. Challenge ourselves against the best. Wow, this team gives me scares sometimes. Made that a lot harder than it should have been, especially against a weakened team. Thanks God, they did not turn to Oshimen and Ikone. Bring on the next round!

the boys must be relieved. objective accomplished. played perfectly up to the 75th minute or something. But again, can't keep a lead and defense is shambolical. But I reckon January transfer window is going to be MASSIVELY important for Chelsea's chances in the UCL. But at least, the blues are through. Also, kinda a shame amsterdam went out. Although @Valerie must be delighted 😉 !

The old timers shone for me -

Azpi, Kante, Willian, Rudiger 

Front 3 picks itself until proven otherwise

ditto midfield.

Azpi at right back for now and James has to prove himself again. 

Emerson back at left.

in short, this is probably our best 11 with a few marginals.

Am even less convinced that CHO right now brings even a fraction of what Willian brings, let alone being good enough to start ahead of him. Want to be proven wrong but it’s not happening yet. 

Bats just not good enough. Badly need a decent backup striker. 

It’s no mean feat to get through the group of CL first time in. We don’t have a hope in hell of going far, but we could get some great games to watch and a great experience for the players.

1 minute ago, loz said:
2 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

That's possible and would explain it but not sure it's the thing to do when CL qualification isn't secured.

Big game at the weekend though, we like to give the worst teams in their sh*ttest run of form three points and a moral boost. 

2 minutes ago, Londonisblue said:

the boys must be relieved. objective accomplished. played perfectly up to the 75th minute or something. But again, can't keep a lead and defense is shambolical. But I reckon January transfer window is going to be MASSIVELY important for Chelsea's chances in the UCL. But at least, the blues are through. Also, kinda a shame amsterdam went out. Although @Valerie must be delighted 😉 !

You bet 😁

1 minute ago, loz said:
4 minutes ago, coco said:
If we have a bid for him in a few weeks from Liverpool or City for say £40m, would you be happy to sell him to them ?

Yep. Sorry I don't think he is ever going to be top drawer. You can develop the technical ability of youngsters but you can never properly train attitude. He is a coaster for me. I don't think he has the desire or commitment to be a top class player.

Thats a hell of a prediction at such a young age, after such little time, i dont think i have ever written any player off that young before, you just cant tell.

6 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

Not worried about who we’re face in next round, we’ve matched the top teams well so I’m confident we’ll overwhelm a top team, before we open up like a slag.

The main goal was to get to this point, now it really doesn't matter because nobody expects us to eliminate a big team.

Thats a hell of a prediction at such a young age, after such little time, i dont think i have ever written any player off that young before, you just cant tell.
Obviously hope I'm wrong. It has happened once in 44 years, I thought the ipad would flop! I just don't see any evidence that there is a competitive 'winner' in CHO. Most players at that sort of level are only marginally better or worse than others technically (bar the few freaks) with the defining difference being their attitude and mental strength. I just don't see it on CHO.

A relief to go through, but we managed to make hard work of it.  And going through in 2nd has opened up some potentially massive games, which I'll predict it will be Sarri's Juventus.  At this point though, you've got to be in it to win it, and you just never know.  

Will be interesting now to see if we attract any new players in January seeing as we are into the next round.  But I think anyone worth an effort is probably cup tied at this point.

Azpi and Kante absolute MotM for me, with honourable mentions to WIllian, Pulisic, and Zouma.

CHO, I'm still not convinced of him, and fear we may have thrown a lot of money at him and we'll get little return.

Anyway, well done to Frank and the boys.  A very tricky group, and we are through.  UTC

2 minutes ago, mad_mac said:

A relief to go through, but we managed to make hard work of it.  And going through in 2nd has opened up some potentially massive games, which I'll predict it will be Sarri's Juventus.  At this point though, you've got to be in it to win it, and you just never know.  

Will be interesting now to see if we attract any new players in January seeing as we are into the next round.  But I think anyone worth an effort is probably cup tied at this point.

Azpi and Kante absolute MotM for me, with honourable mentions to WIllian, Pulisic, and Zouma.

CHO, I'm still not convinced of him, and fear we may have thrown a lot of money at him and we'll get little return.

Anyway, well done to Frank and the boys.  A very tricky group, and we are through.  UTC

Pretty sure the rules have changed, players don’t get cup tied anymore. UEFA decided to change the rule after Barcelona signed Coutinho, how convenient for them hey?

7 minutes ago, loz said:
10 minutes ago, coco said:

I’m seeing it the same way too but would love to be proven wrong. Attitude is huge. It’s the reason I REALLY don’t want us to sign certain players - e.g. Milinkovic-Savic. I don’t understand why fans gave CHO such a pass following the overtures to bayern munich last season.

42 minutes ago, Sindre said:

We need to hope for RB Leipzig. Only side of those we'll have a chance against.

Its knockout football, there's always a chance against anyone.

We took (as much as this hurts to say this) the best team in Europe to penalties after being the better side for most of it not long ago.

1 hour ago, enigma said:

Which piss me off because Hudson-Odoi has been given a great new contract. He needs to show something or lose his place. 

I see this a lot in American sports. You have a young and very talented athlete who's screaming and yelling for a new contract. And once you reward them wit that new and amazing contract, they got lazy and rather spend the time to party instead of training and performing on the pitch. These guys won't survive long in the sports.

What make champions are those with very strong mental strength, exceptional work ethics, along with great leadership qualities and intelligence.

I just don't see any of that in CHO, except for the god given raw talents.

Lots of positives to take from tonight, not least qualification from a tough group. Also lots of good performances I thought. But there were 3 clear contenders for MOTM. Any one of the Kante triplets. The one in the middle played really well, the one on the left was excellent, and the one on the right was outstanding all game. We are blessed to have the Kante brothers in our team.

Lots of positives to take from tonight, not least qualification from a tough group. Also lots of good performances I thought. But there were 3 clear contenders for MOTM. Any one of the Kante triplets. The one in the middle played really well, the one on the left was excellent, and the one on the right was outstanding all game. We are blessed to have the Kante brothers in our team.
I also love their Motown back catalogue