Chelsea v Lille (CL) Tues 10th Dec 20:00 GMT

3 minutes ago, loz said:
5 minutes ago, just said:
Lots of positives to take from tonight, not least qualification from a tough group. Also lots of good performances I thought. But there were 3 clear contenders for MOTM. Any one of the Kante triplets. The one in the middle played really well, the one on the left was excellent, and the one on the right was outstanding all game. We are blessed to have the Kante brothers in our team.

I also love their Motown back catalogue

When they are all playing Loz. I find it hard to tell them apart. I think the one in the middle is slightly taller.

I think CHO needs time. I reckon he does have the ability but he doesn't have the experience. its a shame he didn't spend this year in the championship but we needed him because of the transfer ban and still do. I remember reading so much negative comment on Raheem Stirling in this forum and he went on to be a top player. I'm 65 now and its hard to recall what I was like at 18 but it surely wasn't very mature. And it takes time to settle into a new job which is what he has to do as part of the Chelsea first squad.

In a knockout game anything can happen. Of our potential opponents the one I would like is Juve but we'll probably end up with Barca.

and for another thing, we are playing at just slightly too high a tempo in attack. Our midfield can really cut other teams up if we just start getting the accuracy and timing of the passing a wee bit better. Too many first touch passes that just missed. 

Tonight showed just how much Frank has to learn, but we got through a difficult group, so he deserves a pat on the back, albeit we were very lucky. Very lucky to get away with a point at Valencia and at home to Ajax. Next round we'll probably be playing one of the big boys and we'll need all the luck we can get. I don't fancy our chances much.

We are too soft and there is not enough structure to this team, not enough of a pattern, that's the problem, it's all a bit random with this side, which makes for excitement but it won't lead to a happy ending for Frank if it continues. I look at Leicester and I see a team that is well coached, from the beginning. I'm not sure I see that with our side. We do not control football games as well as we should, we do not manage games as well as we should. No matter how much possession we have, we are easy to score against, even against Lille's second string, who had us biting our nails in the final minutes, simply because it's all a bit haphazard.

It's a little too Uncle 'Arry for my liking.

Tonight, Frank made a terrible error and nearly paid for it. He thought the game was won. He was guilty of complacency, and so were our side. He can hardly blame them when he made calamitous mistakes with his subs. He took off Pulisic and Tammy with plenty of time left, trying to save their legs, forgetting that a goal for Lille and we're in very real danger of going out, forgetting that we were still very much involved in a football game even if it didn't seem like it. As soon as those guys went off everything changed, and Lille came right back into it.

It was good to see Rudiger back, a bit of physicality and passion. Jorginho brings a bit of leadership, which is sorely missing in this team. Pulisic is a fine player and only going to get better. He was our best player for me. Frank took him off way too early and needs to learn his lesson.

Make no mistake, Lille were sh*t, the poorest side we've faced this term by a long shot*. They could have kicked us out of the CL at the end, when we were inexplicably caught on the break and our defenders were scampering back. Luckily Remy did us a favour for old time's sake.

As for Callum, he's lacking in confidence. It will come. He's a special talent, of that there's no doubt. He's young he's back from an injury. A lot of it is to do with physicality and stamina. For my money, there are signs he may be too individualistic, but he's going to play at a high level for a long time. One or two people on here writing him off were writing off Tammy a few weeks ago. He's barely got out of nappies in professional terms. He's a baby with practically zero experience, playing in the big time, in the big league. People just need to hold back a little bit.

Edit: * Grimsby were probably worse I guess.

Edited by Davey Baby
36 minutes ago, just said:

Lots of positives to take from tonight, not least qualification from a tough group. Also lots of good performances I thought. But there were 3 clear contenders for MOTM. Any one of the Kante triplets. The one in the middle played really well, the one on the left was excellent, and the one on the right was outstanding all game. We are blessed to have the Kante brothers in our team.

Shame all three went AWOL at Goodison.

I always thought this would be a tricky game and so it proved. Lille had nothing to lose and that made them dangerous opposition. We didn't put the game away and almost paid the price.A 3rd goal would have finished it but instead they score and we live off our nerves for the last 15 mins.  That has been our biggest issue at home this season. Perhaps if we could tighten up at the back a 2-0 scoreline would feel safer but that doesn't seem likely to happen quickly.

15 minutes ago, forbzy said:

I always thought this would be a tricky game and so it proved. Lille had nothing to lose and that made them dangerous opposition. We didn't put the game away and almost paid the price.A 3rd goal would have finished it but instead they score and we live off our nerves for the last 15 mins.  That has been our biggest issue at home this season. Perhaps if we could tighten up at the back a 2-0 scoreline would feel safer but that doesn't seem likely to happen quickly.

Surprised a little we didn't wait until a 3rd goal before changing.

We totally dominated the game sadly somehow Lille scored.

The more I think about the the Lille goal, the more I'm amazed how their striker was totally free in our area, Zouma, Emerson were not marking anyone, Jorginho came to the near post as well, Kante was not aware if someone was behind him, Kovacic was at the edge of the box, it's really mindblowing that nobody marked Remy...But fair play, Remy's shot was unstoppable, and he didn't really celebrate the goal for real, his best memories are probably still these types of things:
Kurt+Zouma+Chelsea+v+Crystal+Palace+Prem

Very impressive last night for the most part. Rudiger and Jorginho form a formidable spine and Pulisic showed flashes of play similar to Hazard. A goal from a corner always welcome - honestly can't think the last time we scored from one.  

Fully deserve to be in the last 16 as we’ve played some good stuff throughout. Won’t lie, a number of teams I would ideally want to avoid at first but if we can tighten at the back between now and then who cares who we meet first. 

We really don't make thing easy for ourselves this season so far. They didn't have a sniff until the last 20 minutes, we had chances after chances to put them away, just refused to do it. As soon as they put a few passes together around our box, a decent cross and nobody was marking the striker near the penalty spot, shocking defending. Even when trying to see out the game, we still pushed everyone forward and almost got caught out. The subs definitely had the opposite effect, players came on just didn't do enough, not kept up the work rate and being wasteful. On the positive, Willian had a great game, the amount of second balls he won and chased down basically won us the game in the end, that's on top of the good attacking work. Rudiger was winning everything until towards the end the fitness caught up with him, his presence was huge, we wouldn't have scored that goal off the corner without him taking 2 defenders away from the ball.