Kai Havertz

mwblue10
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Love the way he is comfortable using either foot for both controlling and passing the ball. 
Also shields the ball very well and is looking much stronger than when he first arrived. 
As his fitness and confidence increase so will his influence on games.
Tommy’s next test is trying to get both Mason and Kia playing together regularly in this team! 

The run he made for that penalty, he made 100 times before against Everton and earlier in the season. No one ever tried to find him. I think players will for now on.

He has some serious pace. Look at the clip where Mason gives that small pass to Werner (that Pickford nicely saves) towards the end of game. Kai runs from way behind and still is part of that attack.

I think he can't replicate this performance against Leeds for example. That is a game for small nimble players that can turn. Leeds players swarm around you like wasps. Everton plays a classic setup and they press when they feel they need and not all the time. That gave Havertz good spaces all game long. Sometimes his first touch is not perfect and in small spaces that is not acceptable. Mason never has a bad first touch. That is his best attribute imo and in Prem that is so important.

Anyway it looks like we have a new player in our side. And this is just the beginning. 

Finally a performance you expect from a signing like him.

He actually was involved in three goals. First goal, second was disallowed but his control and finishing was excellent and the penalty.

Let's see how it goes from here, Tuchel might found a way to give him confidence and freedom to play.

No matter who gets the name on the score sheet (Agreed by Kai as well) this own goal rule in football is the weirdest, most embarassing and unnecessary rule. Just get rid of it. What it gives you: the guy who (usually) deflects it in is further embarassed by getting his name in the history books for no apparent reason AND the player who does all the work for the goal doesn't get any credit when time goes on especially. The guy who makes the goal he wants it in his stats, the guy who deflects it in doesn't want it in his stats gets it.

Last player who touched the ball from the attacking side gets the stat end of. If someone can make an objectional, reasonable argument for it please tell me.

I also like VAR. I don't love it so far but I like it. Use it properly and it is the best thing football got since passing back to your keepers hands was disallowed. If you are offside by a millimeter you are offside, I don't know what is the big deal. Pass and time the run better. Easy. Well not easy but doable. It is done successfully in every football match there is.

13 minutes ago, evissy said:

No matter who gets the name on the score sheet (Agreed by Kai as well) this own goal rule in football is the weirdest, most embarassing and unnecessary rule. Just get rid of it. What it gives you: the guy who (usually) deflects it in is further embarassed by getting his name in the history books for no apparent reason AND the player who does all the work for the goal doesn't get any credit when time goes on especially. The guy who makes the goal he wants it in his stats, the guy who deflects it in doesn't want it in his stats gets it.

Last player who touched the ball from the attacking side gets the stat end of. If someone can make an objectional, reasonable argument for it please tell me.

I also like VAR. I don't love it so far but I like it. Use it properly and it is the best thing football got since passing back to your keepers hands was disallowed. If you are offside by a millimeter you are offside, I don't know what is the big deal. Pass and time the run better. Easy. Well not easy but doable. It is done successfully in every football match there is.

+1

Started following PL a few years back way more intensly - mostly because of Fantasy Footy Manager - and that weird deflection rule is just absurd and made me quite angry, imagine what the involved players must feel like. Agreed on the VAR.

Edited by weetee

42 minutes ago, evissy said:

There are own goals and own goals. Rudiger's own goal can't be attributed to any attacking player, but last night's goal should be given to Kai as with any deflection of a shot. So there has to be own goals in the game, it is just a matter of using it correctly.

With VAR I agree, it could be used to reduce the human error from the final result. The problem is that at the moment the same useless referees make the final decisions.

19 hours ago, RMH said:

There are own goals and own goals. Rudiger's own goal can't be attributed to any attacking player, but last night's goal should be given to Kai as with any deflection of a shot. So there has to be own goals in the game, it is just a matter of using it correctly.

With VAR I agree, it could be used to reduce the human error from the final result. The problem is that at the moment the same useless referees make the final decisions.

Rudiger own goal was still a result of impressive attack by the opponent. I agree Rudiger made a serious error by passing it in but why not credit the attacking player who had the last touch of the ball? There is absolutely no reason why not. Throwing Rudiger under a bus is just telling something of this idiotic rule. In that instant there is no problem. The attacking team gets the goal but in a longer period of time Rudigers name still stands in the records. This is a matter of philosophy and nothing else. Goal is scored but no one is credited for it essentially. 

1 hour ago, evissy said:

Rudiger own goal was still a result of impressive attack by the opponent. I agree Rudiger made a serious error by passing it in but why not credit the attacking player who had the last touch of the ball? There is absolutely no reason why not. Throwing Rudiger under a bus is just telling something of this idiotic rule. In that instant there is no problem. The attacking team gets the goal but in a longer period of time Rudigers name still stands in the records. This is a matter of philosophy and nothing else. Goal is scored but no one is credited for it essentially. 

minnesota united own goal GIF by Univision Deportesfun laughing GIF

I suggest we award the team's leading goalscorer to bolster his numbers (we'd have to debate whether it would be required for him to be on the pitch), unless another striker is misfiring recently and needs a confidence boost.

Exceptions to this rule should be

- birthdays

- just wed

- just became a dad

- someone's parents are at the game for the first time

Edited by Luiz4Chelsea

9 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Still don't have a clue what his best position is and what formation brings the best out of him. 

A good game by him against Everton though.

Going by his performances over the season so far I’d say it’s wherever Tuchel told him to play on Monday and whatever formation Tuchel stuck around him on Monday or the same but Frank & Barnsley... :laugh2:

17 hours ago, Munkworth said:

Going by his performances over the season so far I’d say it’s wherever Tuchel told him to play on Monday and whatever formation Tuchel stuck around him on Monday or the same but Frank & Barnsley... :laugh2:

Even in that formation it still felt like we were playing without a proper striker though, similar to when Sarri played Hazard there. Hope he keeps up the form though from this game.

I feel like he's in the Thomas Muller mould where he can just roam and shouldn't be nailed down to a specific role.

1 hour ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Even in that formation it still felt like we were playing without a proper striker though, similar to when Sarri played Hazard there. Hope he keeps up the form though from this game.

I feel like he's in the Thomas Muller mould where he can just roam and shouldn't be nailed down to a specific role.

Hazard wasn't really suited to false 9, on the evidence so far Havertz is. I actually felt he would have been the perfect long term Firmino successor at the Scouse so I'm glad he didn't go there.

Edited by Argo

I have to admit I like the idea of him playing the Firminho role - he is perfect to bring other players into the game and score a few himself (assuming we can't get Haaland who seems to be the last classic #9 going).

to win a title however, Kai as false 9 would rely on the likes of Werner, Mount or Pulisic needing to score 10-20 goals each - like Salah and Mane.     

2 hours ago, Argo said:

Hazard wasn't really suited to false 9, on the evidence so far Havertz is. I actually felt he would have been the perfect long term Firmino successor at the Scouse so I'm glad he didn't go there.

Sadly we don’t have Salah and Mane for him to be linking play with up top. Need your wingers to be getting 15 goals a season for a false 9 to work.

2 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Sadly we don’t have Salah and Mane for him to be linking play with up top. Need your wingers to be getting 15 goals a season for a false 9 to work.

If, and I know it’s a big if, Werner starts taking his chances he would be getting those numbers. If we carry on with this formation then pulisic, Hudson odoi and Mount have the potential to be a player who could hit near those numbers but if he goes 4-3-3 and has Mount as another midfielder just ahead of kovacic and Jorginho then he could pitch in with a few goals. I also think that havertz can get a few more goals than firmino does for Liverpool. 

5 hours ago, Adamrb said:

I have to admit I like the idea of him playing the Firminho role - he is perfect to bring other players into the game and score a few himself (assuming we can't get Haaland who seems to be the last classic #9 going).

to win a title however, Kai as false 9 would rely on the likes of Werner, Mount or Pulisic needing to score 10-20 goals each - like Salah and Mane.     

I said last season that Lampard shouldn't try to copy Liverpool as their model might not really work in the near future and they have been struggling with their attack this season so we shouldn't copy them.

We can play with a false 9 where Kai will have a more free role where he can read the game and run into space and at the same time have someone like Tammy that can act as our own version of Inzaghi being the pure poacher, Werner should do the same as Tammy in that sense so up front Havertz + Tammy/Werner in a 4-4-2 with CHO/Pulisic/Ziyech as wingers would be a good attacking line.
The only thing is that Mount would need to play more deeper but I think that he's more than capable for that role as a complete CM.

3 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

I would fully expect Werner to get atleast 15 goals a season going forward, infact despite all his problems this term he's only 5 off doing exactly that now.

Not to mention Kai himself is a better scorer than Firmino so If/when he settles we shouldn't need the same sheer number of goals from outwide.

16 hours ago, Argo said:

He would have been excellent replacement for firmino, but it probably will take Havertz 2 years to be ready to play as no 9 in epl by then mane and salah are 31

11 hours ago, LongtimerLurker said:

I wonder if he'll start vs leeds or if TT will keep Bisela honest and keep switching things up. 

Hopefully he does start and keeps that momentum from the Everton game going,he played wel looked confident on the ball got a glimpse at what he can do at last.

This Leeds game could be Werner's opportunity to stick a couple of goals in too as long as that leeds defence keeps giving it up.