Kai Havertz coming to Chelsea

47 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Not for the first time recently he's looked completely lost whilst playing as the "false 9". 

Giroud and Abraham are both fit and either of them should be starting ahead of him through the middle as their hold up play and/or goal scoring threat is a lot more than he offers there. 

Just feels like he's being shoe horned into the team at the moment. 

Giroud wasn't any better when he came on really.

But I agree. Watching the game I thought to myself that a player like prime Diego Costa, Haaland or Lukaku would have been perfect. Porto pinned us back with very aggressive pressing and we had no outlet up front. Porto were so confident they could contain our attackers that it was basically two or even 3 v 3 if we broke the initial press with a long pass but Havertz & Werner especially were just completely dominated.

5 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Not for the first time recently he's looked completely lost whilst playing as the "false 9". 

Giroud and Abraham are both fit and either of them should be starting ahead of him through the middle as their hold up play and/or goal scoring threat is a lot more than he offers there. 

He looked like he didnt know where he was supposed to be playing last night, or what he was supposed to be doing. Unfair of Tuchel to play him there, and just a waste of a player, it pretty much negates the things hes good at. 

4 hours ago, Sindre said:

Giroud wasn't any better when he came on really.

He had no chance of doing anything as we were on the back foot and had no possession when he came on, he should have been on much earlier to give us a focal point to play off, pin the centre backs etc. 

5 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

I don't understand Tuchel aversion of Tammy. Profile wise tammy is the perfect st to play of mount and Havertz. 

1 hour ago, Bob stark said:

I don't understand Tuchel aversion of Tammy. Profile wise tammy is the perfect st to play of mount and Havertz. 

Aversion of Tammy? Has Tommy told you that he doesn't like Tammy? Tammy has featured in % wise more Tuchel games that he has been fit and available for, than Giroud. 

Sweeping statements like that fuel the conspiracy fires. 

- Abraham has been injured.

- He missed 6 games from the end of Feb until before the WBA game.

- Prior to his injury he featured in the majority of games, albeit, not for the full 90. 

- Since he is just back from a lengthy injury, it is reasonable to assume that he is working his way back to match fitness.

- He didn't make the squad against WBA, which was his 1st game back, but did make it onto the bench last night. For what its worth, I really don't think that a champions league quarter final is the time and place to be giving strikers the chance to work their way back to fitness! 

There is no evidence of Tuchel having an aversion to Tammy! 

That was great. Potential to be even greater with better finishing but still.

Great finish for the goal, great assist and some otherwordly touches throughout. Terrific at bringing others into play and dragging defenders around by dropping deep or running into space which opens up space for the others as it did today.

Some of his touches were insane today. That flick over the head of the Palace player in the first half was the best of the lot. Somebody compared it to Dennis Bergkamp in the match thread and I think that is a fair comparison. 

There is something a bit special about Havertz. I think he can go on to be one of the best in the game if he feels like it.

Edited by Scott Harris
4 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

Some of his touches were insane today. That flick over the head of the Palace player in the first half was the best of the lot. Somebody compared it to Dennis Bergkamp in the match thread and I think that is a fair comparison. 

There is something a special about Havertz. I think he can go on to be one of the best in the game if he feels like it.

He just looks like he has so much more in him, the game just looks so easy for him at times.

I really like Havertz, when you have that much control of the football you have a great chance of success.

Needs to be more ice cold with his finishing but I’m a fan.

Let’s not forget he’s still young and came to a new country during a global pandemic.

Superb today, great goal and assist and some sublime touches. Could have had and probably should have had a couple more. I think he is probably one of those players who has the vision and will always want to past it into the net. Think there are times when it’s best just to put your laces through it though. 

Really think we have a gem on our hands and hope he progresses with us.

9 hours ago, Gol15 said:

Cai is worldclass. Just needs to score more goals when he's totally free in front of the keeper.

Everything he did today except for his finishing was really superb. Sadly of you get those type of chances you have to do better otherwise it turns a very good display in to a disappointing one.

You always have these glimpses of world class but then you have two sitters in the second half, that were completely wasted, just typical. Still a young player though yes, but overall still overrated imo, too much risk, way too expensive for that, maybe the gamble plays out, but yes, that shouldn't be the main transfer in a year for a club like Chelsea. 

Needs to learn to put his laces through it occasionally. Happy for players like his to glide around a bit but when the moments come you have to have that sense of urgency in the PL.

If he does that could be a berbatov type forward. That said, I still think his ceiling is not worth 80m. 

Promising signs at least. Our front three today were all 21 or 22 years old I think. Consistency will come in the next few years

15 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

There is something a bit special about Havertz. I think he can go on to be one of the best in the game if he feels like it.

I think it might have been me in the MOTM thread. Bergkamp v Argentina in the 1998 World Cup was what I had in mind. Also similar to Gazza v Scotland in euro 96 ( I think - and maybe somebody did make the comparison). Difference was no goal on the end of it unfortunately but one hopes it’s a taste of things to come.

On a separate note, even though Havertz has a way to go before proving himself fully, credit to @Gol15 for persistently seeing through Havertz’s underwhelming start with us.