Kai Havertz coming to Chelsea

mwblue10

People should realize that if we do sign Havertz we are not going to end spending. We will offload deadwood as we have plenty of that.

It makes zero sense bying Havertz and call it a day when everyone in the world sees our defense needs serious fixing in personnel.

We have plenty of quality deadwood. Bats, Barkley, Jorginho, Emerson are all international level players who are wanted all around football leagues. This four is valued at over 100m.

There are plenty of others as well so couping 150m shouldn't be a problem for Marina if that is what we need to do.

I think we will definetly buy a defender (probably wide) and a keeper. Kepa is a massive liability.

Cool down and enjoy this future altering window.

14 hours ago, Gol15 said:

Decent cameo completely ruined by a cringingly woeful commentary. I think it must be his grandad narrating. Shocking. Those poor exasperated German defenders and midfielders who are just not on the same level as the fantastic and masterful genius of Kai Havertz.

17 minutes ago, evissy said:

People should realize that if we do sign Havertz we are not going to end spending. We will offload deadwood as we have plenty of that.

It makes zero sense bying Havertz and call it a day when everyone in the world sees our defense needs serious fixing in personnel.

We have plenty of quality deadwood. Bats, Barkley, Jorginho, Emerson are all international level players who are wanted all around football leagues. This four is valued at over 100m.

There are plenty of others as well so couping 150m shouldn't be a problem for Marina if that is what we need to do.

I think we will definetly buy a defender (probably wide) and a keeper. Kepa is a massive liability.

Cool down and enjoy this future altering window.

Although of course if clubs are having to sell their best assets because of the effects of Covid 19, they will hardly be able to put together a business case to then go and buy our cast offs in the same climate especially if we are still valuing them at pre Covid prices. The four you quoted may well be lucky to get half of that value in this environment.  We can't have it both ways. I still expect us to have plenty of deadwood bobbing around, running their expensive contracts down. After all Kepa could do a Gareth Bale if he wanted and stay put for five years on his current deal. Nothing we can do about it.

Although of course if clubs are having to sell their best assets because of the effects of Covid 19, they will hardly be able to put together a business case to then go and buy our cast offs in the same climate especially if we are still valuing them at pre Covid prices. The four you quoted may well be lucky to get half of that value in this environment.  We can't have it both ways. I still expect us to have plenty of deadwood bobbing around, running their expensive contracts down. After all Kepa could do a Gareth Bale if he wanted and stay put for five years on his current deal. Nothing we can do about it.
That could have an effect sure. I don't think it is that huge in terms of the bigger clubs. TV money for Prem teams especially is still massive.

5 hours ago, True Blue23 said:

The Video is not available in my country 😞

Whoops that's strange cause it's the official Bundesliga channel on youtube it should be fine...

23 minutes ago, WhiteWall said:

Decent cameo completely ruined by a cringingly woeful commentary. I think it must be his grandad narrating. Shocking. Those poor exasperated German defenders and midfielders who are just not on the same level as the fantastic and masterful genius of Kai Havertz.

😄

51 minutes ago, WhiteWall said:

Fair point you make, however its not like we are trying to sell off all these players to the same team. It'll likely be 1 player to each time, and a lot of these players whilst being deadwood here are definitely still desired at other clubs. Not only that but not all of them are thought to be overly expensive outside of a few.

Barkley for example is probably valued around 15-20m and someone like West Ham actually want him. Moyes and Ross reuniting and Ross has showed he definitely has glimpses where he looks great. He'd become an automatic starter there, and probably one of their best players at a low cost.

Emerson is wanted by Conte at Inter for still quite a low price as well and they've already spent bigger amounts on other players. Im sure we can offload a fair few of our unwanted players, but you are right in the sense that we will still have quite a lot left. But its a slow process that we only started last year by getting rid of players we dont need, and its continuing now because of the new loan rules.

43 minutes ago, Bluesince66 said:

Don't know if it's just me, but it has gone a bit quiet on the Havertz front at present. 

Its only a matter of time.

I believe the main thing left to sort out is the final fee (which seems close to being agreed) and also when Havertz is joining up with the squad because Leverkusen still do have Europa games left and he may be pivotal in them.

48 minutes ago, driller97 said:

Its only a matter of time.

I believe the main thing left to sort out is the final fee (which seems close to being agreed) and also when Havertz is joining up with the squad because Leverkusen still do have Europa games left and he may be pivotal in them.

I expect something will happen within the next 48 hrs :biggrin:

4 hours ago, ozboy said:

when you get an opportunity to sign one of the worlds best you take it.

This I completely understand and agree with. And Chelsea should sign Havertz if they can and can get the deal they want obviously. He is young and looks the part. Has all the potential to be a 10 year stud at whichever big club he lands with.

I think, given the knowledgable responses I have received to my question, that it is really just a media problem. A perception that Chelsea is only going after attackers because the media won't do their actual job. As an American it's difficult to deal with football (soccer) media. It seems primarily click-baity type stuff with tons of speculative BS and very little actual investigative reporting or actual info.

The media that covers, say, American football (gridiron I think the Brits call it) would be lambasting a big team if their were obvious needs in one area and the team appeared not to be addressing that first and foremost.

I have been reassured by the responses I have received. Chelsea will do what it can to bolster its defensive frailties.

Edited by driver8

17 hours ago, True Blue23 said:

Could you give us a detailed description of Kai since you seem to be a Leverkusen fan. What are his strengths and weeknesses? I know he is good at scoring goals but how is his ball retention when he's being pressed? How good is his final ball? How good is he off the ball in the defensive phase? Is he an active presser? Is he able to hold his own physically? How would you rate his pace?

And since he is very versatile and can play almost anywhere in the attack, what do you think his best position is? I guess Frank plans to use him on the right side of a midfield 3 as a number 8. Do you think that position suits him?

I wrote something about him a few pages ago in this thread. You should find it in my post history.

But to briefly elaborate on your questions:

Strengths: Unbelievable composure on the ball, especially at his age. Ball control, vision in the final third, a player that makes the right decision 90% of the time. Very rarely loses possession. Great finishing, he likes to make runs into the box from central midfield and scores a lot from there. He´s also tall and wins many headers, can also play as a holding player due to his skillset.

Weaknesses: Sometimes a bit too careless/arrogant on the ball. Not good in 1 vs. 1 dribbling, even tho he tries it quite often.

Since Peter Bosz came in, we have been a high pressing team and Kai was a part of that. I wouldn´t necessarily say that he is a particularly good presser or something. Stats-wise, he covered the most ground for us all season but on the pitch sometimes his body language is a bit reminiscent to Mesut Özil, when a game doesn´t go his way.

He is one of the fastest players in the Bundesliga but only at full speed. Definitely not a "pacey" winger, his acceleration just isn´t that great, mainly because he is nearly 1,90 m. But he can win running duels.

Physically he has improved a lot since he debuted with 17. Put on some muscle over the years and is a tall guy. Shouldn´t have a problem.

He played for us as a number 8 in the 18/19 system alongisde Julian Brandt and he scored 17 goals from there and definitely had his best run of form for us. I wrote a little bit about that in my previous post. But to answer shortly: Yes, that position suits him 100%.

17 hours ago, sonic90 said:

He's taller than he looks @ 6ft 2, could be useful when defending corners.

The height is helpful as is the left footedness. He and Ziyech will be very valuable together if this happens. 

I'll be surprised if we can fit a fully fit Ruben, Barkley, Mount and Havertz into the same squad. Be interesting to see what would happen with Kovacic as well whether he is rotated more with Kante in the 6 role. 

The height is helpful as is the left footedness. He and Ziyech will be very valuable together if this happens. 

I'll be surprised if we can fit a fully fit Ruben, Barkley, Mount and Havertz into the same squad. Be interesting to see what would happen with Kovacic as well whether he is rotated more with Kante in the 6 role. 

I think we can offload Barkley this window and if Havertz comes it a matter of when. Ruben and Mount are such a big talents. We know what Barkley does already.

2 hours ago, Spiller86 said:

Although I look at Tammy and how bad he is at heading in general and think that it's only useful if you know how to do it well. I think Barkley who was a snip at £15m could be sold to generate funds for a defender, he also 26 going on to 27 in 4 months time so it's a good time to sell.

On 28/07/2020 at 13:33, WhiteWall said:

I wonder if Kepa is as bad at golf as he is playing in goal, might have time to improve his handicap