Kai Havertz coming to Chelsea

2 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Played half his games last season on the right wing, it's not a role that is completely foriegn to him. He had 11 goal contributions (6 goals, 5 assists) from playing that position last season compared to 7 goal contributions (4 goals, 3 assists) in 25 games playing as an attacking midfielder. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/kai-havertz/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/309400/plus/0?saison=2019&verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=  

Part of the reason he's been bought in is his versitility and it's somehting Lampard highlighted following his signing. 

It was just a poor performance, there's nothing wrong with that. Not every player can be expected to hit the ground running after such a strange pre-season but at the same time let's not pretend players have played well when they haven't. 

Fair enough, probably should've done my research on that. I was always lead to believe he plays behind the striker, and from the highlights I saw it looks like he prefers to run into the box to score his goals and in the middle. 

1 hour ago, zes said:

People keep saying he was played out of position when he has played RW before. The issue last night was that we were stuck in our own half majority of the game until Barkley came on and saw Havertz link up with Reece in the final 3rd. RLC couldn't do anything right and Havertz suffered from it imo. If you want to see the best of Havertz then you need players like Kovacic who are able to progress the ball upfield. We could barely string an attack together. 

Also not a fan of Mount playing on the wing. Lampard needs to stop doing this. He takes too long to cross and isn't able to take on defenders 1v1 like Pulisic/CHO. 

It’s not that he was played out of position it’s that you don’t get a playmaker on the wing a playmaker sits in the middle the wing is a more isolated position and if you don’t feed a winger it’s hard for him to get involved, he has to drop deep and collect.

so expecting a winger in a game that we had little position and we were disjointed to set the tempo of the game just shows poor understanding, again it’s not the position it’s what people were expecting him to do from that position, they might have well told him to save the goal as well. 

22 minutes ago, Ernie_blue said:

Not sure playing Havertz against Liverpool will be a wise decision, they will press and bully him alot and even more so if he plays in the middle. 

You can’t drop also. We lose & questions will be asked about why you have an €80m signing on the bench.

I actually will start him as a 10, he will be okay with Kovacic & Kante in a disciplined role behind him. Either that or play him as a “9” with Werner to his left.

22 minutes ago, ducavis said:

You can’t drop also. We lose & questions will be asked about why you have an €80m signing on the bench.

I actually will start him as a 10, he will be okay with Kovacic & Kante in a disciplined role behind him. Either that or play him as a “9” with Werner to his left.

Well last night was like playing with 9 men, granted RLC wont be playing but Salah and co wont be so forgiving when they get there chances.

I am a little concerned about him due to his style of play, just because he has this disinterested laid back demeanor I can see him be an easy target for pundits, casual fans and online trolls. A number of such players get unfair criticism especially during phases when team is not doing as well, the lad will need to be mentally strong.

These so called experts who would have barely seen him play will see him jogging instead of sprinting and include it as part of there "Analysis" as proof that he is lazy.

4 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Played half his games last season on the right wing, it's not a role that is completely foriegn to him. He had 11 goal contributions (6 goals, 5 assists) from playing that position last season compared to 7 goal contributions (4 goals, 3 assists) in 25 games playing as an attacking midfielder. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/kai-havertz/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/309400/plus/0?saison=2019&verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=  

Part of the reason he's been bought in is his versitility and it's somehting Lampard highlighted following his signing. 

It was just a poor performance, there's nothing wrong with that. Not every player can be expected to hit the ground running after such a strange pre-season but at the same time let's not pretend players have played well when they haven't. 

It didn't help that we played the ball slowly or punting it long to Werner or RLC every time. 

50% of the blame is on Frank because he sets the team and tactics. 

5 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Wait, we won 3-1, what are we blaming Lampard for? 

If we're being objective, for how he sets the team up. RLC in a free role and Havertz in a wide role despite wingplay being a massive part of Lamp's tactics. You can't give an instrumental role to the new boy when he barely knows the league and the way you want certain positions to be played

We won because of 2 mistakes and a wonderstrike. Brighton played way better football than we did. 

Edited by Deino
9 minutes ago, Amputechture said:

Because it fits their narrative. Never mind the fact that he has played on the right plenty for Leverkusen.

Central, or right side. I have never seen Havertz track back as much as he did against Brighton. He should be used more like KDB and not have to worry to much about following Brighton players deep into his own half all the time. 

1 hour ago, dkw said:

He didn't play as a winger, why are people saying that? He spent as much time, if not more, centrally than wide.

he definitelly did not play as much time centrally as he did on the right wing. not even close to it actually. he did play as a winger

18 minutes ago, Montessori said:

he definitelly did not play as much time centrally as he did on the right wing. not even close to it actually. he did play as a winger

He was deployed as a winger but wasn't comfortable playing there so he cut in centrally, congesting that part of the pitch and removing the width we had on the pitch.
Off the ball though his average position was (somewhat) wide.

5 hours ago, Ernie_blue said:

Not sure playing Havertz against Liverpool will be a wise decision, they will press and bully him alot and even more so if he plays in the middle. 

Whats the point in paying 70+ million for a player if we are afraid or think he can't handle Liverpool? I think it was one match and Havertz is going to be just fine. The kid can play as an 8, 10, 9, or on the wing and can do it efficiently. We've got a really good player in him

1 hour ago, dkw said:

He didn't play as a winger, why are people saying that? He spent as much time, if not more, centrally than wide.

From what I saw watching the match, it seemed to me that our attacking players pretty much flowed freely. I saw Reece playing a RW a little, Werner dropping deep into a central midfield position, Mount out wide left, Havertz out wide, central and up top at times. I imagine this is what Frank is looking for; fluidity to switch, change positions, cause chaos because the defensive players don't know who to track, and now they have to worry about runs from 5 players instead of 3.

I've only been scrolling through the topic, but the amount of times I've seen that he was played out of position last night is laughable.

I cba to check but before we signed him everyone was an expert on Kai Havertz and now all of a sudden no one has seen him play on the right side.

He had a poor debut, so what? There's no need to start making excuses for him. He's a top talent and he'll get over it.

The continued reference to Havertz being similar to Ballack makes the ‘being shunted out wide’ decision even more baffling. 

The second half of last season was Havertz actually playing up front. Prior to this, he was played attacking midfield, centrally. 

From Havertz: "I've played in many other positions, but I prefer to play in the centre, where I have more of the ball. My dream will always be to wear the No.10 one day at my club.“

3 minutes ago, chiefBlueCFC said:

From what I saw watching the match, it seemed to me that our attacking players pretty much flowed freely. I saw Reece playing a RW a little, Werner dropping deep into a central midfield position, Mount out wide left, Havertz out wide, central and up top at times. I imagine this is what Frank is looking for; fluidity to switch, change positions, cause chaos because the defensive players don't know who to track, and now they have to worry about runs from 5 players instead of 3.

If it’s free moving football he wants you need a tempo setting cm now We have seen Jorginho do that, completely dictate games but frank doesn’t seem to like him, Havertz should be able to play that role from further forward and hopefully kova can keep feeding him from defence to get it going, but without control in the middle that philosophy doesn’t work  

4 hours ago, Imran_CFC said:

I am a little concerned about him due to his style of play, just because he has this disinterested laid back demeanor I can see him be an easy target for pundits, casual fans and online trolls. A number of such players get unfair criticism especially during phases when team is not doing as well, the lad will need to be mentally strong.

These so called experts who would have barely seen him play will see him jogging instead of sprinting and include it as part of there "Analysis" as proof that he is lazy.

He ran most of the pitch back to make up for a mistake. If Ozil did that he’d be under suspicion for doping. I don’t think he was laid back at all, we were just poor with the ball all over the pitch and had zero tempo, he was hardly going to remedy that out wide.