Kai Havertz coming to Chelsea

Showed a lot of good touches today, involved in our best moves without being spectacular. Consistently taking up good positions between the lines and always showing for the ball. Ironically Frank's change of tactic after he assisted the second goal possibly took away the space he craves. He's going to be an important player for us once he becomes more acquainted to his teammates.

I watched him off the ball today, he gets in some nice pockets and makes nice runs but its early days and the connection with his team mates is'nt there yet. I think Ziyech might be the player to link up well with him in the future.

Its a typical reaction for fans to expect wonders straight away because of the price tag but ive watched him a bit for Leverkusen and he's an outstanding talent and just needs time to get up to speed with the premiership.

Im more concerned with the platform behind him, i have grave reservations about the combination of Kante and Kovacic being good enough, id be looking to sell Kante and Jorginho if im honest and look to bring in someone more competitive who shifts the ball quicker and more competently.

1 hour ago, Osgoodwasgood said:

I watched him off the ball today, he gets in some nice pockets and makes nice runs but its early days and the connection with his team mates is'nt there yet. I think Ziyech might be the player to link up well with him in the future.

Its a typical reaction for fans to expect wonders straight away because of the price tag but ive watched him a bit for Leverkusen and he's an outstanding talent and just needs time to get up to speed with the premiership.

Im more concerned with the platform behind him, i have grave reservations about the combination of Kante and Kovacic being good enough, id be looking to sell Kante and Jorginho if im honest and look to bring in someone more competitive who shifts the ball quicker and more competently.

Well said.  We haven't looked assured in midfield against many sides for quite some time.  Funny, I actually though Silva on the ball nullified a lot of what we get from Kova and Jorginho as Silva often moves forward into the space.  Are defenders have become accustomed to passing it forward to Kova and Jorginho for them to look busy, only for it to end up back with the defender (I understand Jorginho didn't play today, just speaking generally).

I think people are wearing rose tinted glasses because he's a big buy, he lacks energy and urgency, when players press him he can't/won't shift the ball quickly enough so he ends up either losing the ball or pre emptively getting rid of it which leads to a lucky pass or giving it away. It's almost as if he wants to look chilled out at all cost.

1 hour ago, sonic90 said:

I think people are wearing rose tinted glasses because he's a big buy, he lacks energy and urgency, when players press him he can't/won't shift the ball quickly enough so he ends up either losing the ball or pre emptively getting rid of it which leads to a lucky pass or giving it away. It's almost as if he wants to look chilled out at all cost.

Careful with these sort of statements. This lack of urgency thing was also thrown at Ballack when he was here. Truth is that he has always played like that. We knew this when we bought him.

I thought he very quietly put together a stellar game. I was most impressed with his ability to hold the ball under pressure back to goal. I hadn't expected this at all.  His movement was clever (particularly after CHO came on) and he looked dangerous. The pass for the CHO goal was sublime as was the one to set Mount away when Werner fluffed his shot. 

I think the early signs are very good. He's only going to get better as well.

1 hour ago, Spiller86 said:

Careful with these sort of statements. This lack of urgency thing was also thrown at Ballack when he was here. Truth is that he has always played like that. We knew this when we bought him.

I thought he very quietly put together a stellar game. I was most impressed with his ability to hold the ball under pressure back to goal. I hadn't expected this at all.  His movement was clever (particularly after CHO came on) and he looked dangerous. The pass for the CHO goal was sublime as was the one to set Mount away when Werner fluffed his shot. 

I think the early signs are very good. He's only going to get better as well.

Agreed. Early days but it already looks as if his football IQ and vision are a cut above the rest. The decisions he makes shows me that he 'sees the field'. Once he gets accustomed to the pace of the game I think he'll be dynamite. 

16 hours ago, venom2011 said:

Agreed. Early days but it already looks as if his football IQ and vision are a cut above the rest. The decisions he makes shows me that he 'sees the field'. Once he gets accustomed to the pace of the game I think he'll be dynamite. 

Exactly. Same as Hazard who could never be accused of working hard with out the ball...

To the people calling him lazy. He isn't lazy. He just does things so effortlessly which gives the impression of said laziness. Kai alongside Kovacic are very press resistant and are able to twist and turn cleverly to create space when receiving the ball. Doesn't take too many touches, moves the ball quickly and his decision making is exceptional. Can't remember any brain farts or over/under hit passes made in the final 3rd, something Barkley is guilty of (for those comparing the two). He made some very good runs but unfortunately Kante was not able to spot them. I know Kante is a fan favourite I'm beginning to have doubts over his role in this team.