Kai Havertz coming to Chelsea

I think hes done fine. I think hes a classy player with alot of skill.  Hes graceful, ala Federer on the tennis Court. But don't mistake it for lack of hustle. Its just how he is...I have been impressed with his defense so far as well.  Hes buying into what Lampard wants. 

Because hes only 21 he will have his ups and downs this year.  Hes not the finished article yet. God knows how good he will be in 3-4 years. 

3 minutes ago, Browerkid said:

I think hes done fine. I think hes a classy player with alot of skill.  Hes graceful, ala Federer on the tennis Court. But don't mistake it for lack of hustle. Its just how he is...I have been impressed with his defense so far as well.  Hes buying into what Lampard wants. 

Because hes only 21 he will have his ups and downs this year.  Hes not the finished article yet. God knows how good he will be in 3-4 years. 

I think he could go one of two ways. He could be seen as a luxury player ghosting around with the occassional nice touch or as a player who can really take a game by the scruff and dominate start to finish. Someone to be feared. I saw a couple of moments where he realised he is 6'3 and a big guy and that he can bully players physically if he wants to.

Tonight was a tough and tight game against a very defensive team. In two or three years time I think these will be the games that Havertz has the potential to own and make the difference in. But he has some filling out to do physically and perhaps mentally to make that happen.

He's what, 8 games into his Chelsea career.  Has all the attributes - would like to see him in a settled position and personally don't think RW brings out the best in him.  The front three to move around quite a bit though.  Want to see how he is handling it all once we're 20 games in.

2 hours ago, Ernie_blue said:

Has the look of Ozil to me, I just hope he dont end up like him. 

Hes alot more physical then Ozil already...lol I know that's not saying alot.

He doesn't have Ozils vision..but who has ?  He's more of a goal threat for sure.  

Edited by Browerkid
9 minutes ago, Browerkid said:

He doesn't have Ozils vision..but who has ?  He's more of a goal threat for sure.  

I mean in the way they float around and don't look like they run around much. 

If CHO or Mount or Abraham were putting in the kind of lacklustre performances Havertz has been putting in, they would be ripped apart on here, their high salary would be questioned, maybe accused of being the teachers pet.

And i would reply, he's still young, be patient, he needs to learn the league.

Shame they can't be as patient with our academy kids as they are with Havertz.

Its still very early days, he's very young and its not his fault that he comes with a hefty price tag. H'es shown some nice touches here and there and is very easy on the eye, however i dont think we will see him at his best until he's given the real freedom to play very high almost as a false nine.

We've seen him played wide a couple of times which i dont think suits, he needs to play in tandem with Werner, when werner pulls out he becomes the nine from deep which is a nightmare for defenders to track.

At the moment im not sure lamps feels completely happy with the platform behind(Kante, Giorginho,Kovacic) which ever three he picks has its frailties and as a result Havertz is being asked to be mindful that he must track back and fill in. Im not saying that this is beyond Havertz, but its restricting him and he's not being given the same freedom he was used to in Germany.

He was good against Southampton and CP and could have done more against Sevilla like rest of the team. I don't judge any of our attackers for their performance against United, since Lampard went there with the intention not to loose, in a 5-2-3 formation. I would like to see some games in 4-2-3-1 formation, where we don't play Kante alongside Jorginho in central midfield, in an attempt for more control over the games.

1 hour ago, coco said:

If CHO or Mount or Abraham were putting in the kind of lacklustre performances Havertz has been putting in, they would be ripped apart on here, their high salary would be questioned, maybe accused of being the teachers pet.

Thing is that Kai is actually passing the ball properly and making good decisions with the ball, he never overcomplicates things.
E.g. even if he has space in front of him but there is James running down the wing he will pass to him and not try to do something himself, he plays by the book. And lets not forget he already scored and made a few assists in the PL already.

Mount has been playing pretty bad on the wing if you ask me but CHO has been better and better but then again in order to be better he needs to play more...

Edited by Gol15

Shows signs of real class on the ball but goes missing quite a bit, people forget he’s still young he’s only going to improve and we’re going to have a serious talent on our hands. Need to find a way to get him closer to Werner looks a lot more dangerous when he’s close to the striker and can link with the attack.

I have no idea where all this negativity comes from. He has been a superb player all his short career. He has lead his team all that time in pretty much everything. He is looking to step into Die Mannschaft and really taking that key role in that world class midfield. 

I have zero doubts over him at Chelsea. He will have off games especially if he is not playing that free role. For me the key here is time. In time the guys around him learn to play the game through him. That free role only works if you use Havertz as the hub. We haven't had a 10 in our side for years so it takes time for everyone to make it work. 

Comparisons to Ozil are fair. He was a key player to all the sides he played for until he hit the wall at Arsenal for some reason. For me Havertz's ceiling is much higher than Ozils. I think Ozil has always been a bit soft in terms of his personality. Although Kai is somewhat quiet he seems like a leader on the pitch. 

15 minutes ago, evissy said:

I have no idea where all this negativity comes from. 

Clearly there are still idiots out there who expect a young player from a foreign league to hit the ground running and score a hattrick every match and win the Man of the Match award. If he doesn't, it's "Get rid of that overpaid, overhyped waste of space". Getting rid of the idiots would be much better, though :rolleyes:

What do you mean you hope he doesn't end up like Ozil? Ozil was a world champion, a winner with Real Madrid and sort of a loser because of Wenger and the Arsenal environment. But Ozill was a spectacular player with great career. The only problem with him was that he was a big time choker, a huge liability in big matches. 

That being said when the players around Kai perform like the way they did the first couple of months you can't expect him to have great time on the pitch. Yet, he is much more active than I expect him to be with Pulisic, Werner, Mount and Ziyech playing like complete garbage. All the players apart from Havertz and to some degree Mount in some matches are terrible at the moment. Pulisic is hiding very well from the ball, Werner can't pass through a parked bicycle with the ball  and the others are not even worth the mention.

Edited by Droopy

On 25/10/2020 at 03:12, Browerkid said:

I dare to say that Kai is better than Özil, he's a mix of Zidane and Kaka!

It will be interesting now Frank has has a clean sheet against Utd with 3 CBs.

Last season I had the impression if Frank changed the system and it worked he would stick with it until we lost, if so we will not be playing with a No.10, so where does that leave Havertz?

I think Havertz is a talented attacking player yet is built like a centre back and it shows when he gets caught on the ball or runs back and tackles.

He does have the ability to play a good through ball, felt he should have had an assist against Seville yet Werner could not control the through ball and yet another time he had the opportunity to shoot yet did not take it. 

If we revert back to play 2 CBs he can still play as a No.10 yet we are more open defensively. 

Likelihood is we will play him as a No.10 or even an AM with two CB and with 3Cbs as a wide man.

On 25/10/2020 at 08:48, coco said:

The difference is Havertz has only been here a couple months, the others have had at least a full season in the prem already and had much more time to settle in

7 minutes ago, driller97 said:

The difference is Havertz has only been here a couple months, the others have had at least a full season in the prem already and had much more time to settle in

Yes and look what they achieved when given that chance in their first season. Top four n the rookie season. But now we have other options who have yet to impress, the venom is aimed at last seasons hero's. Go figure.

3 minutes ago, coco said:

Yes and look what they achieved when given that chance in their first season. Top four n the rookie season. But now we have other options who have yet to impress, the venom is aimed at last seasons hero's. Go figure.

Not seen much venom targeted at Abraham in all honesty (hasn't had too much game time yet this season)

But the so called "venom" aimed at CHO and Mount have only been after poor performances. Nobody attacks them if they actually play well

13 minutes ago, driller97 said:

But the so called "venom" aimed at CHO and Mount have only been after poor performances. Nobody attacks them if they actually play well

Other than the inane "venom" from some people even before a ball is kicked when they drone on about Mount being picked because he's Frank's favourite, obviously.

27 minutes ago, yorkleyblue said:

Other than the inane "venom" from some people even before a ball is kicked when they drone on about Mount being picked because he's Frank's favourite, obviously.

If someones been anonymous/poor for almost every game they've played this season and they continue to be picked, words need to be had about the poor decision making from the manager

5 hours ago, Droopy said:

What do you mean you hope he doesn't end up like Ozil? Ozil was a world champion, a winner with Real Madrid and sort of a loser because of Wenger and the Arsenal environment. But Ozill was a spectacular player with great career. The only problem with him was that he was a big time choker, a huge liability in big matches. 

That being said when the players around Kai perform like the way they did the first couple of months you can't expect him to have great time on the pitch. Yet, he is much more active than I expect him to be with Pulisic, Werner, Mount and Ziyech playing like complete garbage. All the players apart from Havertz and to some degree Mount in some matches are terrible at the moment. Pulisic is hiding very well from the ball, Werner can't pass through a parked bicycle with the ball  and the others are not even worth the mention.

Kind of a big problem though, chokes in the big games but is ok at home against the smaller teams. Also lazy, strolls around and has the wrong attitude. Players like Ozil and Pogba have ability but completely the wrong attitude and I don't want that near my football club, rather have Mount with less ability but more consistent and gives his all.