Nathan Ake

Jezz
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

On 09/01/2020 at 17:07, Scott Harris said:

Why are you so sure of this? He's never made Bournemouth more stable.

2015-16 - Bournemouth, joint 2nd worse defence in the league, conceding 67 goals.

2016-17 - Bournemouth, 5th worst defence in the league, conceding 67 goals again.

2017-18 - Bournemouth, 4th worst defence in the league, conceding 61 goals.

2018-19 - Bournemouth, 3rd worst defence in the league, conceding 70 goals.

2019-20 - Bournemouth, currently 6th worst defence in the league, conceding 32 goals.

If Ake was that good, he would at least improve their defensive record a bit, but he has never done that, so why would you expect things to suddenly change with us? You can't just say that he is playing with other mediocre defenders as an excuse either. If he was good enough, he alone should be enough to improve their defensive record at least a tiny bit.

Very harsh to judge a single player on a team defensive stats though. I mean Van Dijk played for Southampton and they leaked goals went to Liverpool and he improved them.

4 hours ago, jack_super_class said:

Very harsh to judge a single player on a team defensive stats though. I mean Van Dijk played for Southampton and they leaked goals went to Liverpool and he improved them.

This isn't true. Southampton with Van Dijk had the joint 5th best defense in the league in 2015-16 and then in 2016-17, the 8th best defense. Van Dijk picked up an injury in the second half of that season and didn't return until the season after. Southampton have only been leaking goals since he left.

The big difference with Ake and Van Dijk is that you could see how good Van Dijk was with Southampton. When it comes to Ake though, I barely notice his performances at all. I look at Ake, and I don't see a substantial improvement over what we've got, so I see no point in signing him. We need a CB that is going to take command of our defence, I don't see Ake ever becoming that type of defender.

3 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

This isn't true. Southampton with Van Dijk had the joint 5th best defense in the league in 2015-16 and then in 2016-17, the 8th best defense. Van Dijk picked up an injury in the second half of that season and didn't return until the season after. Southampton have only been leaking goals since he left.

The big difference with Ake and Van Dijk is that you could see how good Van Dijk was with Southampton. When it comes to Ake though, I barely notice his performances at all. I look at Ake, and I don't see a substantial improvement over what we've got, so I see no point in signing him. We need a CB that is going to take command of our defence, I don't see Ake ever becoming that type of defender.

Have to agree with Scott for a change and besides one of the only commanding shorter centre backs ive ever seen was cannavaro. if he was as good as him it would be a no-brainer

20 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

Totally agree, Ake is definitely not the answer, fine strolling around at Bournemouth with no pressure, but play for a big club and it all changes, really only see him as an fa cup, milk cup, or utility defender if we are short.

• 6 months later...

Don't think he will improve this team dramatically, more like a straight replacement to say  Christensen  If we want to go better next year or even hold onto the 4th spot, we need better defenders. Surely he has a relegation clause we could cash into, NOT paying 40M for a defender from a relegated team

12 hours ago, icecoolguy22 said:

Don't think he will improve this team dramatically, more like a straight replacement to say  Christensen  If we want to go better next year or even hold onto the 4th spot, we need better defenders. Surely he has a relegation clause we could cash into, NOT paying 40M for a defender from a relegated team

And the argument that the relegation and his ability/impact has no correlation also holds little weight as far as I am concerned. For me Ake is a completely vanilla player. He is the "other guy" as I rarely hear anything about him during a game. Take Mings. If Villa had gone down I know that Mings was here there and everywhere trying to turn this around and be part of a defence pitching in to save themselves. Rice at West Ham (different position but principle applies) visible throughout trying to lead but also be part of a successful recovery. Ake, I don't even know he's on the pitch for most of the time and when I have noticed him he looks like another one of those defenders that just defends space, so just seems to jockey and try and block off. I rarely see him challenging, sticking a foot in, regaining possession and coming out of a danger area with the ball.

We should be aiming higher than vanilla, imho.

7 minutes ago, driller97 said:

He suits their style of play passing from the back and all that... I just know he's going to be great for them, and if we signed him he would have been terrible.

Surely he can't be as bad as any that we have. Traffic cones would be an improvement on our current crop of centre-backs

One thing is for sure though. We can look forward to more KdB type regrets if he does well for them.

Just now, driller97 said:

Really hope this doesnt go down the De Bruyne route of where City sign one of the players we let go and it turned out to be a big mistake.

Unlikely, De Bruyne was on another level. Ake is good but not amazing personally, with De Bruyne it was clear how great his potential was, we just had Jose sticking to his favourites.

1 minute ago, Snedger said:

Surely he can't be as bad as any that we have. Traffic cones would be an improvement on our current crop of centre-backs

One thing is for sure though. We can look forward to more KdB type regrets if he does well for them.

Maybe not as bad as them, but pair him up with one of the calamity CB's we have and Kepa in goal... And he's not going to look very good.

1 minute ago, driller97 said:

Maybe not as bad as them, but pair him up with one of the calamity CB's we have and Kepa in goal... And he's not going to look very good.

Can't argue with that. For me we need three new centre-backs that compliment each other, regardless of which style of centre-back Lampard wants (cultured or agricultural). I don't rate any of the four we have at the moment. Maybe one of them could be useful kept as a backup for three good ones.