Sign in to follow this  
ddrblue

Which conflict

Name the game that chelsea played and was due to have highlights shown on TV ,but the planned showing of the highlights was 

binned due to a conflict that started up took all the air time on the TV after the 90mins of football had finished .

1 hour ago, ddrblue said:

Name the game that chelsea played and was due to have highlights shown on TV ,but the planned showing of the highlights was 

binned due to a conflict that started up took all the air time on the TV after the 90mins of football had finished .

Spurs at home league cup quarter final 0-0, 1991, le saux played out wide and ripped them apart, but we couldn't score, remember getting back from game and the first Gulf war had started! Went to second leg as well at white Hart lane, we totally out played them and won comfortably, only to f**k up v sheff Wednesday in semi final

1 hour ago, chi blue said:

Spurs at home league cup quarter final 0-0, 1991, le saux played out wide and ripped them apart, but we couldn't score, remember getting back from game and the first Gulf war had started! Went to second leg as well at white Hart lane, we totally out played them and won comfortably, only to f**k up v sheff Wednesday in semi final

Was working up North but came back for the home leg. Was standing by the tea bar which was unusual because I’d migrated to the seats years before- was struck by how many Herbert’s were around me- it was the resurgence of the terrace spat between us and Spurs who’d battered the Ifield the previous season so a lot of chaps came out the woodwork.

Townsend had a brama in the return leg, which led Bobby Campbell to saying he wouldn’t swap him for any other midfielder in the country- veiled reference to Gazza.

1 hour ago, Ewell CFC said:

Was working up North but came back for the home leg. Was standing by the tea bar which was unusual because I’d migrated to the seats years before- was struck by how many Herbert’s were around me- it was the resurgence of the terrace spat between us and Spurs who’d battered the Ifield the previous season so a lot of chaps came out the woodwork.

Townsend had a brama in the return leg, which led Bobby Campbell to saying he wouldn’t swap him for any other midfielder in the country- veiled reference to Gazza.

Yes, nearly mentioned Townsend in my previous post, he really did have a Stormer in second leg, totally dominated Gazza.

Yes it was that league cup game vs Spurs .i was down for said game and I don’t think I have ever seen a team get 

mullered so much ( Spurs) and it end up 0-0 on final whistle .

was staying in Wimbledon at a mates gaff as no trains back up north ,and sat down with a ying tong stuffing me face waiting for 

the game to come on the idiot box ,it was at about 03:00 in the morning that penny dropped they would not be showing highlights since desert storm had taken over the idiot box.

iam sure that whoever Coventry was playing that night in league cup ,tv showed those highlights but went straight to the conflict mentioned 

12 hours ago, bluehaze said:

The semi final against Wednesday was such a weird day playing on a Sunday the atmosphere was flat and we played terrible. I'm convinced we would have won if it was midweek .

Yes, it was something like a 11:30am KO on a Sunday, and your right atmosphere was flat, nothing like a previous league cup semi final 6 years before at the bridge v Sunderland!!

1 hour ago, ddrblue said:

Yes it was that league cup game vs Spurs .i was down for said game and I don’t think I have ever seen a team get 

mullered so much ( Spurs) and it end up 0-0 on final whistle .

Yep I was there too and thought exactly the same feeling that we would lose the replay.

Of course we won yet what followed was the shambles against Wednesday and I went up there too.

10 hours ago, chi blue said:

Yes, it was something like a 11:30am KO on a Sunday, and your right atmosphere was flat, nothing like a previous league cup semi final 6 years before at the bridge v Sunderland!!

Was it our first ever game on a Sunday ?. It was pre premier league and I can't remember off the top of my head any other Sunday games at the bridge. Edit: Apart from holiday matches that happen to fall on a Sunday.

Edited by bluehaze

4 hours ago, bluehaze said:

Was it our first ever game on a Sunday ?. It was pre premier league and I can't remember off the top of my head any other Sunday games at the bridge. Edit: Apart from holiday matches that happen to fall on a Sunday.

I can remember an FA Cup game (4th round) against Liverpool at the Bridge in 1985-86 season. We lost 2-1 and had a lot of bad luck that day losing Dixon to a key injury that would ultimately play a big part in derailing our title challenge.

1 hour ago, forbzy said:

I can remember an FA Cup game (4th round) against Liverpool at the Bridge in 1985-86 season. We lost 2-1 and had a lot of bad luck that day losing Dixon to a key injury that would ultimately play a big part in derailing our title challenge.

yes remember going to that one, and didn't we play all of second half with 10, as had two injuries and it was only 1 sub at the time, I didn't realise we only had 10 until we got home, and I got confronted by all the armchair Liverpool fans from our estate, also on a side note remember my mate drove his mum's car to that came, it was an imp, and he insisted on playing a couple of his new cassettes he'd bought, Feargal Sharkey and Dead or a live!!! as you can imagine it wasn't the greatest day of my life, but hey wouldn't mind being 16 again though!

3 hours ago, chi blue said:

yes remember going to that one, and didn't we play all of second half with 10, as had two injuries and it was only 1 sub at the time, I didn't realise we only had 10 until we got home, and I got confronted by all the armchair Liverpool fans from our estate, also on a side note remember my mate drove his mum's car to that came, it was an imp, and he insisted on playing a couple of his new cassettes he'd bought, Feargal Sharkey and Dead or a live!!! as you can imagine it wasn't the greatest day of my life, but hey wouldn't mind being 16 again though!

Spot on. We lost Dixon and Colin Lee in the first half and were only allowed one sub in those days. Played the rest of the game with 10 men and still managed to push Liverpool to the end. I remember being very proud of our performance that day even though we lost. You could argue we had 9 men for most of the match as Keith Dublin was playing left back 😉

7 hours ago, forbzy said:

Yeah I was at that forget about it completely. Also Watford away in the cup possibly 87 we got locked out.

51 minutes ago, bluehaze said:

Yeah I was at that forget about it completely. Also Watford away in the cup possibly 87 we got locked out.

I was at the Watford game in 1987. I think Steve Clarke made his debut for us in that match. The thing I remember most from that game was being hit in the back of the head by a lump of celery. Bloody hurt!

9 hours ago, Boyne said:

I was at the Watford game in 1987. I think Steve Clarke made his debut for us in that match. The thing I remember most from that game was being hit in the back of the head by a lump of celery. Bloody hurt!

Celery, it only seems to come out these days at cup finals, funny when ever we go to Wembley my son's and mates still raid Tesco express  on way down to station for celery, remember in que with my beer a couple of years ago the cashier couldn't work out why at 9am in the morning why young lads were buying up all the celery, once on train it's working out how to get the famed vegetable into Wembley or the torch or green man (hardly a pyrotechnic, but that's heath and safety for you)

9 hours ago, Boyne said:

It's a vicious attack vegetable.

50 minutes ago, chi blue said:

Celery, it only seems to come out these days at cup finals, funny when ever we go to Wembley my son's and mates still raid Tesco express  on way down to station for celery, remember in que with my beer a couple of years ago the cashier couldn't work out why at 9am in the morning why young lads were buying up all the celery, once on train it's working out how to get the famed vegetable into Wembley or the torch or green man (hardly a pyrotechnic, but that's heath and safety for you)

Funny that you mention the Green Man. For the Spurs semi final a few years back and the Arsenal cup final the Green Man had crates of celery in the pub on standby

1 hour ago, chi blue said:

55 minutes ago, drjonesy1994 said:

Funny that you mention the Green Man. For the Spurs semi final a few years back and the Arsenal cup final the Green Man had crates of celery in the pub on standby

I remember being outside the Globe pub near Baker Street Underground station a few years ago and a guy in an open-top car pulled up at the traffic lights near the pub. He said something derogatory about Chelsea and his car was then pelted with sticks of celery. The lady he was with wasn't happy and I think she had a go at him for having a go at Chelsea. The lesson he probably learned was that if you are going to criticise a team do it just before the lights turn green.

1 hour ago, Valerie said:

It's a vicious attack vegetable.

Indeed. Perhaps there should be a remake of John Wyndham's classic story The Day of the Triffids and call it The Day of the Celery. In it hordes of celery go around the country attacking Spurs and Arsenal fans. 

3 minutes ago, Boyne said:

I remember being outside the Globe pub near Baker Street Underground station a few years ago and a guy in an open-top car pulled up at the traffic lights near the pub. He said something derogatory about Chelsea and his car was then pelted with sticks of celery. The lady he was with wasn't happy and I think she had a go at him for having a go at Chelsea. The lesson he probably learned was that if you are going to criticise a team do it just before the lights turn green.

Lol that will teach him. This has been posted on here before but this is one of my all time favourite Chelsea photos: 

16BFC628-EDCF-418A-9762-F9F2F0FB59E5.jpeg

2 hours ago, drjonesy1994 said:

Was in there for both games, didn't notice that, mind you celery seemed to be everywhere, for the saints semi and Utd final the other year, the bouncers at the torch searched you and took celery away, saying you couldn't bring food into the pub, they then put it in pile by the wall, half an hour later using a distraction operation with a mate, we nicked the celery back, wouldn't mind if I was  a 15 year old Herbert, but I'm 50 years old!!!

On 10/12/2019 at 23:40, Strider6003 said:

Yep I was there too and thought exactly the same feeling that we would lose the replay.

Of course we won yet what followed was the shambles against Wednesday and I went up there too.

Was at those three games too, think we were in the same car up to Sheffield. We were awful in both games, Townsend who had been so good V Spurs who had been so good V spurs was invisible. At home 

On 12/12/2019 at 10:27, drjonesy1994 said:

Lol that will teach him. This has been posted on here before but this is one of my all time favourite Chelsea photos: 

He was so Arsenal back then old Cesc...he had manned up by the time we bought him

On 11/12/2019 at 18:46, forbzy said:

Spot on. We lost Dixon and Colin Lee in the first half and were only allowed one sub in those days. Played the rest of the game with 10 men and still managed to push Liverpool to the end. I remember being very proud of our performance that day even though we lost. You could argue we had 9 men for most of the match as Keith Dublin was playing left back 😉

Not a good day. Despite all the optimism, you could sense the deflation in the ground as soon as King Kerry got injured and had to go off. We were always up against it from then on. At least Speedo scored to make it look respectable. 

Anyone remember the Dippers letting off a big red flare into the Benches that day? Absolute twunts!!

On 12/12/2019 at 09:27, drjonesy1994 said:

If you could add a caption,

'Ref, ref, what is this, we do not have this in my country?'

Funny how threads can take different paths/ roads ,here we have a thread about desert Strøm and a cfc league cup game and by end of thread the ICF have raised its head .