Timo Werner

2 hours ago, Jordan711 said:

Keeps flirting with Liverpool though

That's what gives me pause. I get it, Klopp being German and Liverpool being the best team in the PL at the moment, but if I'm Werner who am I planning to replace in that lineup? Salah? Mane? How realistic is that? Personally I'd be looking to join a side where I have the biggest chance of guaranteed playing time, kind of like what Haaland did with Dortmund.

59 minutes ago, abramovich said:

That's what gives me pause. I get it, Klopp being German and Liverpool being the best team in the PL at the moment, but if I'm Werner who am I planning to replace in that lineup? Salah? Mane? How realistic is that? Personally I'd be looking to join a side where I have the biggest chance of guaranteed playing time, kind of like what Haaland did with Dortmund.

He'll be replacing Firminho surely? Either way, im not sure if he'll be as much of a team player as Firminho so it might disrupt the dynamic

• 3 months later...

I can’t get my head around why we aren’t linked heavily with Werner. I know Chelsea do everything quietly in terms of transfers, but it is so obvious he’s the kind of player we need and can be had for a release clause of £52m! 

1 hour ago, buzzcfc said:

I can’t get my head around why we aren’t linked heavily with Werner. I know Chelsea do everything quietly in terms of transfers, but it is so obvious he’s the kind of player we need and can be had for a release clause of £52m! 

We've been linked for ages in the press, pretty much everyone has done it 

10 hours ago, buzzcfc said:

We’ve been mentioned. All I’m hearing now is Liverpool and Utd

Well no, several times it was stated we were favourites, deal was almost done and all that other bollocks, same as other clubs. Exactly the same. 

I don't get your point anyway, what are you getting at? 

On 29/05/2020 at 09:02, dkw said:

Well no, several times it was stated we were favourites, deal was almost done and all that other bollocks, same as other clubs. Exactly the same. 

I don't get your point anyway, what are you getting at? 

Read the news. It's all about Liverpool and Utd, never heard anywhere that 'we are the favourites'. My point is I'm surprised we're not more heavily linked with him, as stated in my original post - not sure what you're finding difficult to grasp with that one, so can't really help you mate.  

Edited by buzzcfc
Hehe. The casual nature of the headline. Timo wants to come to Premier league to just test him. This test would cost 68m to the club.

I suspect it’s a little more complex than simply just putting £50m on the table. He will be negotiating with a lot of clubs trying to secure the best deal. 

He may very well have said no to us. I mean, at this stage, we’re not favourites for any elite trophies and we’re pushing 4th. Compare us to the current Liverpool team, there’s no comparison unfortunately 

It’s amazing how quickly you can fall down the pecking order. 

I suspect it’s a little more complex than simply just putting £50m on the table. He will be negotiating with a lot of clubs trying to secure the best deal. 
He may very well have said no to us. I mean, at this stage, we’re not favourites for any elite trophies and we’re pushing 4th. Compare us to the current Liverpool team, there’s no comparison unfortunately 
It’s amazing how quickly you can fall down the pecking order. 
Absolutely. We are miles behind Liverpool and City. The leap from Leipzig to Chelsea isn't a huge one in terms of football. Clubwise naturally we are one of the few giants but in terms of football we are not there. 3-4 seasons and it will be different.

Werner would be the perfect Marquee signing for us, I would prefer Werner over Sancho due to his ability to play up top & also the more realistic price tag. This would mean long term we can phase in Broja when Giroud runs his contract down & Abraham still being the Number 1 to start up top.

I have question marks over Pulisic's ability to stay fit, CHO mental framework after his recent misdemeanor therefore if we have the option to get Werner he can most likely rotate him & play him up top in the absence of Tammy. The signing of Werner would mean that we have 4 options for the wings & 3 options up top (Considering we sell Batshuayi):

Wings: Pulisic, CHO, Ziyech & Werner 

Forward: Tammy, Giroud & Werner

5 hours ago, Imran_CFC said:

Werner would be the perfect Marquee signing for us, I would prefer Werner over Sancho due to his ability to play up top & also the more realistic price tag. This would mean long term we can phase in Broja when Giroud runs his contract down & Abraham still being the Number 1 to start up top.

I have question marks over Pulisic's ability to stay fit, CHO mental framework after his recent misdemeanor therefore if we have the option to get Werner he can most likely rotate him & play him up top in the absence of Tammy. The signing of Werner would mean that we have 4 options for the wings & 3 options up top (Considering we sell Batshuayi):

Wings: Pulisic, CHO, Ziyech & Werner 

Forward: Tammy, Giroud & Werner

Is he actually any good on the wing though, or is it more salah / mane type role he’d play?

11 hours ago, Adamrb said:

Is he actually any good on the wing though, or is it more salah / mane type role he’d play?

Definitely the latter. He has played on the left of a 4-3-3 this year but mainly he makes runs into the left channel with Poulsen or Schick dropping deep to provide space. Recently he has been playing up top in a 3-5-2 as well. He's certainly not a player who can lead the line himself in a 4-3-3.

I have a sneaky feeling no one will be activating that clause before it expires. There is a glut of left wingers/forwards in football presently, it is finding quality players capable of playing on the right that is the problem in Europe. If he could play as a lone forward he would have been snapped up already, but he can’t & most teams play 1 on top.