Change of manager and management team again I think was attributed. I would imagine players fees are not recognised immediately in the accounts, also our wage structure is more geared towards  champions league football. 

The club don't seem too concerned which is the main thing, financially we have been doing okay in recent years. 

6 minutes ago, ekimozturk said:

I’m surprised to read that we’ve made such a huge loss last year considering the transfer ban. I know we spent a lot on Kepa, Pulisic etc but still wasn’t expecting this...

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11668/11898901/chelsea-announce-96-6m-loss-in-latest-financial-results

The transfer ban started after the period concerned.

Turnover grew marginally to £446.7m with the club citing a lack of Champions League football, costs associated with changing manager and a record outlay on players Kepa Arrizabalaga, Christian Pulisic, Mateo Kovacic and Jorginho for the £96.6m loss.

We spent some £220m on those 4 players, but I think accounting practices mean the outlay is spread over the length of their contracts, or something like that. 

On 03/01/2020 at 12:05, ekimozturk said:

I’m surprised to read that we’ve made such a huge loss last year considering the transfer ban. I know we spent a lot on Kepa, Pulisic etc but still wasn’t expecting this...

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11668/11898901/chelsea-announce-96-6m-loss-in-latest-financial-results

I read it was due to not being in the Champions league last season with the extra revenue that brings rather than being down to player dealings.

Key points:

• Turnover figure grew to £446.7m from £443.4m the previous year.
  • Loss of £96.6m ending 30 June 2019.
  • The loss relates to player acquisitions and related costs, the lack of Champions League football and the change in first team management.
  • Revenue from commercial activities grew by £14.5m.
  • Broadcasting and matchday revenue decreased due to us playing Europa League rather than Champions League football.
  • The club invested a record £280.6m in the playing squad.

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2019/12/31/chelsea-fc-financial-results?cardIndex=6-4

While not revealed in the official club statement, it's being reported that sacking Conte cost us £26.6m.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jan/07/chelsea-sacking-antonio-conte-cost-26m-accounts-roman-abramovich-danny-drinkwater

4 hours ago, Jezz said:

Key points:

• Turnover figure grew to £446.7m from £443.4m the previous year.
  • Loss of £96.6m ending 30 June 2019.
  • The loss relates to player acquisitions and related costs, the lack of Champions League football and the change in first team management.
  • Revenue from commercial activities grew by £14.5m.
  • Broadcasting and matchday revenue decreased due to us playing Europa League rather than Champions League football.
  • The club invested a record £280.6m in the playing squad.

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2019/12/31/chelsea-fc-financial-results?cardIndex=6-4

While not revealed in the official club statement, it's being reported that sacking Conte cost us £26.6m.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jan/07/chelsea-sacking-antonio-conte-cost-26m-accounts-roman-abramovich-danny-drinkwater

Notice they mention these acquisitions:

The Club also invested a record £280.6m in the playing squad during the year, including the acquisitions of Kepa Arrizabalaga, Christian Pulisic, Mateo Kovacic and Jorginho.

At least with these players we should get decent money back if we decide to sell.

Edited by Strider6003

This is only for 2018/2019, it doesn't count the transfer ban or Hazard sale

Also my god. Europa League gives almost no money. We won the thing and got less money than some teams that left CL in group stage

Edited by lithium

Meant to comment on this earlier. 

First off the £26.6 million shown in the accounts which some say is solely  in respect of sacking Conte doesn’t make sense . 

In 2019 it was reported that a PL tribunal awarded £9 million to Conte ok he had a few staff but I really doubt they cost £17+ million to buy out their contracts irrespective my understanding is that if either party disagreed with the tribunals award the appeal process was by way of the High Court yet according to the DM Conte took the matter to an Employment Tribunal. 
So did Chelsea refuse to accept the ruling ? If so the sum would be more about provision rather than actual outlay

More likely  the £26.6 million includes the sum to bring Sari in from Napoli plus provision or payments to  Conte plus something else. 

Next the increase in salaries again doesn’t make sense nor does the sums said to have been paid out on transfer fees.

Kepa actually wasn’t signed by way of a normal transfer fee.

He actually bought out his contract meaning no fee paid by Chelsea. I am far from sure how the buy out fee was funded but I can only think that he received the sum buy way of a signing on fee that would then reflect in salaries and that in turn would attract deductions so when grossed up would be way over the £70 million buy out fee.