Hull v Chelsea (FA) Sat 25th Jan 17:30 GMT

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Scrappy at best.. Some really poor performances by non-regulars  in Alonso, Pedro were particularly poor, some of the kicking from Willy was dire .. Barkley got caught too many times should have scored with the brilliant ball from Mount in the first half..

Mount Kova and CHO were absolutely electric in the first half but completely faded in the second.. 

Simply put this squad needs quality and i must say  Bats' hold up play is championship level.. 

1 minute ago, Slojo said:

Disagree with the Alonso bit, he looked back to his oldself in that 2nd half, defensive liability. Kovacic made a terrible mistake but I thought he had a good game, besides that he didn't do anything wrong in the 2nd half. 

Compared to Emerson defensively Alonso gets my vote.

2 minutes ago, Zero said:

If the result of the panic buy is that we get something like Zappacosta...then I'm against it. If we can find somebody that will truly strengthen us...splash the cash.

That goes without saying, but we NEED a LB, we can't finish this season without one or we're going to regret it big time. 

Just now, Strider6003 said:

Compared to Emerson defensively Alonso gets my vote.

looking at him its feels as though he is doing everything at 90% .. always seem to lack conviction in tackles, crosses or trying to retrieve balls.. All attacks were from the left side in the second half..

Just now, Slojo said:

That goes without saying, but we NEED a LB, we can't finish this season without one or we're going to regret it big time. 

Yeah, but the problem is that buying in january usually means more deadwood. Hopefully we can be proven wrong this time.

5 minutes ago, Jangz said:

Scrappy at best.. Some really poor performances by non-regulars  in Alonso, Pedro were particularly poor, some of the kicking from Willy was dire .. Barkley got caught too many times should have scored with the brilliant ball from Mount in the first half..

Mount Kova and CHO were absolutely electric in the first half but completely faded in the second.. 

Simply put this squad needs quality and i must say  Bats' hold up play is championship level.. 

Agree on Barkley and Bats, didn't notice Willy's kicking.

The good:

We avoided another slip up.

Tomori back in the side, good move for the goal.

The Bad:

Surprise, Surprise, Batman can only score against a poor side with aid of a deflection

CHO and Pedro along with him should be ripping a team like Hull to pieces.

Ross Barkley should be dominating this game.

Squad needs quite a bit of work, that much is clear.

2 minutes ago, Zero said:

Yeah, but the problem is that buying in january usually means more deadwood. Hopefully we can be proven wrong this time.

But the problem is, I keep seeing people say no more Zappacosta's, Drinkwaters, Bakayoko's, Morata's. Yet all those players were signed in the summer, not January, they weren't panic buys, they were just awful signings. 

But the problem is, I keep seeing people say no more Zappacosta's, Drinkwaters, Bakayoko's, Morata's. Yet all those players were signed in the summer, not January, they weren't panic buys, they were just awful signings. 

Also most people thought Bakayoko and Morata will be great signings esp. the way they started.

I think is more a general lack of trust in the club to recruit good to great players. Those are just 4 examples from recent seasons. There is Batman, Emerson and likely others as well who just simply are n0ot good enough.

35 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

It's a win, but this team is so uninspiring. The attitude after the break was once again terrible and when we were asked to put a shift in, the players were too mentally weak to step up and deal with it.

I gotta admit, this era of Chelsea is hard to love. Too often it just feels like so many players don't put a shift in and crumble at the slightest bit of pressure.

What a difference a few months makes!

I know what you are saying and agree to an extent but I think that's maybe a tad harsh. Earlier in the season everyone was talking about the "feelgood factor" and even in games we lost, we were still enjoying the football. But that was when the likes of Tammy, Mount, Tamori and Pulicic were on fire and the whole team seemed to be gaining momentum each game. Things have definitely gone downhill - maybe a bit of fatigue and we're in that "grueling winter period". The enjoyment factor is certainly not what it was and the sooner we can move on some of the deadwood and try and revitalize the side again - the return of Pulicic and RLC would definitely help.

I don't think CHO was bad at all, he had a decent game he did take on players but at the attacking moments he was cutting inside and making space for Azpilicueta that was great, he can still do his role pretty well. Barkley was poor in the second half but he made that cruical cross to Tomori and I'm happy for Tomori he won us the game. Kovacic started good had the nice vision that later on resulted in the goal, but by the end of the first half he did a few bad passes and as soon as the second half started he got a yellow card and was out of the game, this is why Jorginho is a better playmaker obviously. Alonso simply can't defend, no way he should be starting games, Hull made him look like that's a level above him.

4 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

I don't think CHO was bad at all, he had a decent game he did take on players but at the attacking moments he was cutting inside and making space for Azpilicueta that was great, he can still do his role pretty well. Barkley was poor in the second half but he made that cruical cross to Tomori and I'm happy for Tomori he won us the game. Kovacic started good had the nice vision that later on resulted in the goal, but by the end of the first half he did a few bad passes and as soon as the second half started he got a yellow card and was out of the game, this is why Jorginho is a better playmaker obviously. Alonso simply can't defend, no way he should be starting games, Hull made him look like that's a level above him.

Kovacic appeared to do a lot of running and took a knock that he looked to have shaken off.

We were hit and miss down the Right and although CHO didn't give the ball away he was too predictable cutting-in nearly all the time.  He was also pushed off the ball a couple of times too. Beginning to think Reece might be stronger in that forward position rather than defence. 

Barkley's set piece was good for he goal yet a lot of times today he got caught out or made poor passes, a mixed bag.

I like Tomori's fighting spirt and would like to see that in the League.

Disappointed not to see Lamptey start, or at least come on when we went 2-0 up. As for those that did start, Pedro was dire, I'm not going to miss him. Mount is struggling a bit but works his socks off. Tomori and Barkley were good. Kovacic was class, although he shouldn't have turned his back for their goal, similar to Jorginho against Arsenal when they equalised at the death. You need to be braver in those situations and Frank needs to instil the right mentality.

Unfortunately Barkley will be dropped for the next game, alongside Kovacic possibly, and Jorginho and Kante will walk back in, and we'll suffer as a consequence. It was telling that he rested both for this game.

As for Willy, he didn't have much to do but he should keep goal against Leicester, even though he's a really ropey keeper. I said a while ago Kepa needs to be dropped and it's time for Frank to bare his teeth.

Edit: Well done Chelsea. Into the next round. We've played something like 35 games this season and kept 7 clean sheets. Nobody can say our games are boring.

Edited by Davey Baby

16 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

Kovacic appeared to do a lot of running and took a knock that he looked to have shaken off.

We were hit and miss down the Right and although CHO didn't give the ball away he was too predictable cutting-in nearly all the time.  He was also pushed off the ball a couple of times too. Beginning to think Reece might be stronger in that forward position rather than defence. 

Barkley's set piece was good for he goal yet a lot of times today he got caught out or made poor passes, a mixed bag.

I like Tomori's fighting spirt and would like to see that in the League.

CHO should still start the next game, maybe the way he was predictable was due to the instructions he was given. Pedro just isn't good anymore.

The rest you mentioned should be back on the bench, starters are Reece and Azpili as full backs, Tomori did well though so it's up to Lampard to pick the CBs I don't know who would be the best to start against Leicester since Christensen has been decent recently.

Edited by Gol15

10 minutes ago, Davey Baby said:

Disappointed not to see Lamptey start, or at least come on when we went 2-0 up. As for those that did start, Pedro was dire, I'm not going to miss him. Mount is struggling a bit but works his socks off. Tomori and Barkley were good. Kovacic was class, although he shouldn't have turned his back for their goal, similar to Jorginho against Arsenal when they equalised at the death. You need to be braver in those situations and Frank needs to instil the right mentality.

Unfortunately Barkley will be dropped for the next game, alongside Kovacic possibly, and Jorginho and Kante will walk back in, and we'll suffer as a consequence. It was telling that he rested both for this game.

As for Willy, he didn't have much to do but he should keep goal against Leicester, even though he's a really ropey keeper. I said a while ago Kepa needs to be dropped and it's time for Frank to bare his teeth.

Edit: Well done Chelsea. Into the next round. We've played something like 35 games this season and kept 7 clean sheets. Nobody can say our games are boring.

Kova and Barkley were good 1st half, second half both were really poor imo. We lost control of midfield in the second half. 

Not sure who gets the nod against leicester. We went with jorginho, kovacic, and kante in the home game, but second half we struggled again. With Ndidi back its going to be a tough midfield battle. 

19 minutes ago, big blue said:

Not sure who gets the nod against leicester. We went with jorginho, kovacic, and kante in the home game, but second half we struggled again. With Ndidi back its going to be a tough midfield battle. 

It was Kante, Jorginho and Mount in the home game against Leicester. Mount scored our goal.

With both Jorginho and Kante rested today, it's odds on they're both in the team next week. Surely one of our analysts has pointed out to Lampard and Jody that we have a terrible record whenever Kante and Jorginho both start ... SURELY ... ?

1 minute ago, Sexyfootball said:

It was Kante, Jorginho and Mount in the home game against Leicester. Mount scored our goal.

With both Jorginho and Kante rested today, it's odds on they're both in the team next week. Surely one of our analysts has pointed out to Lampard and Jody that we have a terrible record whenever Kante and Jorginho both start ... SURELY ... ?

thought mount played wide left  but i think your right, pedro amd pulisic started. 

With a week between games, i dont think it will hold too much weight tbh. Hope not anyway. 

3 hours ago, coco said:

too many players move in the wall, bunch of pussys.

I'm pretty good size so was always in the wall. I'd cover my bits and shut my eyes. 

I figured I'd rather take a shot to the face than reflexively duck or Dodge. 

Kova may feel that way too after tonight.