Chelsea v Man Utd (PL) Mon 17th Feb 20:00 GMT

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

5 minutes ago, forbzy said:

I think in this case Keane is agreeing that Maguire got away with one and was very lucky. His previous reputation probably helped him whereas Son had already been in trouble with refs this season. Now that this incident has been been given a lot of viewing I doubt Maguire would get the same benefit of doubt from a ref if this happens again. Unfortunately that doesn't help us in retrospective as that decision ultimately had a huge bearing on the overall game last night. If he is correctly shown red United have to play the bulk of the game with 10, and it was 0-0 at the time. Not to mention they lose their captain on the field. As we saw with the Arsenal game that doesn't guarantee anything but it would have skewed the balance in our favor on a night when we started the game with an injury-weakened team.

There is still time for the FA to charge him with violent conduct and ban him for three games.

sh*t, were those pigs I just saw fly past?

1 hour ago, coco said:

Son got a three-match ban as well, thats like four times as severe punishment to what Maguire gets. And don't forget that Taylor did call the foul against Maguire, so what did he see ? it could only be one thing that he saw, so why ask VAR if he sees it ?

Son is not a young England international.

12 minutes ago, Stim said:

Never mind foreign referees I'd be ok with refs who didn't come from the same f**king city as one of the teams.

Last nights referee Anthony Taylor born in Manchester, lives in Manchester. Last nights VAR Chris Kavanagh born and lives in Manchester.

Imagine that game refereed by two SW3 referees, and manure fans reaction to them allowing Rudiger to kick out at Martials groin, which then allows Rudiger to go and score the decisive goal.

3 minutes ago, coco said:

Last nights referee Anthony Taylor born in Manchester, lives in Manchester. Last nights VAR Chris Kavanagh born and lives in Manchester.

Imagine that game refereed by two SW3 referees, and manure fans reaction to them allowing Rudiger to kick out at Martials groin, which then allows Rudiger to go and score the decisive goal.

I think we've been here before many times when it comes to United. Elleray in 94, Webb in the 3-3 draw, Clattenburg in 2012 a 3 examples. I even remember one of my first games at the Bridge in 1978 when the ref gifted a dodgy last minute equalizer to them in a 2-2 draw. Unfortunately I have got used to this rubbish over the years. I was hoping VAR might help in these situations but it actually seems to have reinforced the underlying issues.

13 minutes ago, forbzy said:

I think we've been here before many times when it comes to United. Elleray in 94, Webb in the 3-3 draw, Clattenburg in 2012 a 3 examples. I even remember one of my first games at the Bridge in 1978 when the ref gifted a dodgy last minute equalizer to them in a 2-2 draw. Unfortunately I have got used to this rubbish over the years. I was hoping VAR might help in these situations but it actually seems to have reinforced the underlying issues.

Remember when TAA got away with that handball against city ? Thats when i realised VAR should be banned from the grey area decsions and the ref on the pitch should be the only judge, via dugout monitors.

17 hours ago, Gol15 said:

For the first time since 1987-88' Manchester United has won both games against us in the league.

I heard on the radio today that it's the first time Man Utd have done the double over any team in a season without conceding a goal since the 1964/65 season. Horrific stat if true.

I was pro VAR up until recently but last night was the tipping point for me. It’s now actually just helping to double down on the referees’ ineptitude to the point where you start to believe the conspiracy theories about bias. 

I stopped myself celebrating the Giroud goal and said the to the guy next to me this will go to VAR. Went to the bogs and low and behold it was disallowed. Queue mass exodus from Stamford Bridge. If you think VAR is bad at home just try the experience in the stadium. 

I don’t condone the abuse refs get but they bring it on themselves with their arrogance in their own incompetence. In any other job you’d be sacked for being so bad. I won’t go as far to describe them as vermin as that’s offensive to rats. Michael Oliver is the one exception. 

8 hours ago, yorkleyblue said:

Fair enough.

What you actually mean @Nibs is that the ref and VAR actually robbed us of 3 points last night.  Neither disallowed goal should have been, and Maguire should not have been  on the field to score their second.  Ref also bottled a couple of reasonable chances to give second yellows to mancs, whilst managing to book Zouma for a perfectly good challenge because their girly-tart rolled around on the floor a lot.

I'm not a great one for conspiracy theories, I simply believe that a weak and partisan referee from Manchester took whatever chance he could to influence the game in their favour, much like Clattenburg admitted to against the Spuds a few seasons ago.

You're right, in that the ref & VAR royally f**ked us over last night. Willian getting booked when he was clearly tripped and fouled. Zouma getting booked for a perfectly good tackle and yet slab-head escaping any punishment for trying to remove Batshuayi's bollocks (although he plays like someone who doesn't actually have any). Then the two disallowed goals that should both have stood (even allowing for CFC bias) and it was a sh*t night all round plus we were unlucky with Christensen having a bloody nose and being out of sorts just as they score the first and crucial goal.

But all that said, you still have to look at our side and question it. I was so looking forward to the game last night but as soon as I saw that starting line up and the bench my optimism was replaced by a "here we go again" and so it proved. YES, we can all blame the ref and VAR but that is happening to sides every week. What is happening to us every week is that we just don't look dangerous enough in attack and always look like we'll concede at least one goal. The more I see of certain players failing to produce time and again the less I ever want to see them wear a Chelsea shirt again. Let's not pretend United are any good, they were rubbish and yet still had enough to beat us and can be added to West Ham, Bournemouth, Southampton, Newcastle, Everton - all teams who have beaten us one way or another in the past few months.

I'm not blaming Lamps (although he cannot escape some criticism). He can only work with the squad he has and it's evident it isn't that great. We are missing key players through injury but all sides have to cope with injuries. It's when the other players need to step up and ours aren't capable.

Players I would get rid of end of season without any hesitation - we need to move on and they MUST go:

Willian Pedro Batshuayi Giroud Barkley Alonso Emerson

To those I would add both keepers, two centre backs (Zouma & Christensen) and maybe even Jorginho. That would leave us with a decent nucleus of a squad that we would then need to add some REAL quality to. The Club need to back Frank and Jody and give them a chance to compete next season and beyond 'cos they certainly can't be expected to with this current crop.

5 hours ago, dkw said:

So this ref last night was the same one who was f**king terrible in the spurs game, giving a goal kick instead of the obvious penalty?

I believe the only person that was different was the VAR personnel - the only reason why Son was sent off & the PK was given - remember on both decisions Anthony Taylor said "Play on!!" - that guy is corrupt

5 hours ago, dkw said:

What a massive load of sh*te, he sent of Son for the same f**king thing so how can he then say this ones a yellow. f**k football, I`m done.

Same ref who gave a yellow to Alonso and no pen, and nothing to Son. difference is the VAR ref was different and competent.

5 hours ago, Jackson27 said:

Personality N All Shouldn't Be Taken Into Consideration, That's Just A sh*t Cop Out, If A Challenge Is Deemed Worthy Of A Red Then It Should Be Given

I hate it when pundits come out with that.

I’ve heard pundits say that about Son, ‘he ain’t that kind of player’.

Without doing any research I can think of 3 times Son has been sent off for violent conduct.

So obviously he his that kind of player.

5 hours ago, coco said:

Remember when TAA got away with that handball against city ? Thats when i realised VAR should be banned from the grey area decsions and the ref on the pitch should be the only judge, via dugout monitors.

Managers should refuse to do press conferences until the FA make VAR officials go in front of the camera after each match to explain any calls they overturn.  

If all they are doing is correcting clear and obvious mistakes this should be no issue at all.  Mind boggling that a manager should have to face reporter questions after the match about how they impacted the game, but not the VAR officials who can overturn entire results.   

When the officials, aided with video technology and time breaks, who should be clearing up clear and obvious mistakes are instead making clear and obvious mistakes... I feel the people paying for the performances should get a direct explanation why.  When it comes to changing an on field decision it should be 100% accurate each time, or the decision should not be changed,.....mind boggling the consistency of clear and obvious mistakes in the use of VAR.....

2 hours ago, robdog said:

I believe the only person that was different was the VAR personnel - the only reason why Son was sent off & the PK was given - remember on both decisions Anthony Taylor said "Play on!!" - that guy is corrupt

Sorry - can you clarify which guy is corrupt? The one who ignored two kicks against our players and a kung-fu attack? Or the one who studied the video of our player being kicked in the bollocks and decided 'Fine by me'?

I hoped Michy might be a decent backup striker but it's looking more and more obvious that he's not.

I can understand some of the calls for Giroud to start but there is no way he can play a full 90 minutes so it made sense to bring him on later given we needed a goal. It's just a shame the one he scored was ruled offside by a fraction of a boot.

3 hours ago, Zagger said:

I was pro VAR up until recently but last night was the tipping point for me. It’s now actually just helping to double down on the referees’ ineptitude to the point where you start to believe the conspiracy theories about bias. 

I stopped myself celebrating the Giroud goal and said the to the guy next to me this will go to VAR. Went to the bogs and low and behold it was disallowed. Queue mass exodus from Stamford Bridge. If you think VAR is bad at home just try the experience in the stadium. 

I don’t condone the abuse refs get but they bring it on themselves with their arrogance in their own incompetence. In any other job you’d be sacked for being so bad. I won’t go as far to describe them as vermin as that’s offensive to rats. Michael Oliver is the one exception. 

Same here, didn't celebrate Giroud goal, then when disallowed, together with the other bullsh*t decisions, decided let's get the early train home, football has been ruined, 120 odd years from the creation of the football and it's now knackered by idiots not even in the ground, watching screens, while they order their takeaway or do a cross word. While us poor sods that go, pay a fortune and have our match day experience ruined for ever

9 hours ago, coco said:

Read this bollocks by Dermot Gallagher, says it's the wrong call, but still protects the referee and VAR......

DERMOT SAYS: "[I'm surprised] he escapes any colour card. What I would say is that I'm very surprised he didn't face any punishment. Anthony [Taylor] didn't think it was a red card because he's seen it from another angle.

"It goes to VAR, and the VAR [Chris Kavanagh] has to decide if it was a red card and he thinks no. The problem then is that he cannot recommend a yellow card, so it goes back to free kick only. That's where Anthony was snookered a bit.

"My instant reaction was that it was a red card. The trouble is, when you watch things over and over again, you spot little bits of detail. Michy Batshuayi slips, Harry Maguire goes to ground and then his legs go up.

"He says it's to protect him from Batshuayi coming into him. They're very close, and VAR decided that the kick out was more petulant than violent. He said it didn't have the impact so therefore he couldn't award a red card.

"At that point, yellow card is ruled out. What I would say is, when you see that tackle, there has to be more punishment than a free kick only."

It's exactly this sort of pontificating bullsh*t from officials which is killing the game. First reaction was a red card but then goes on to watch it over over again and talks a load of bull before defending the ref and var, whilst at the same time saying they were wrong.

Managers and players are apparently contracted to come out and speak on camera within minutes of the game ending. Occasionaly they say something which upsets the powers  that be and are punished for it with a fine or ban or both.

It's about time the referees were held to account and questioned about their decisions post match.

Club statement

The club have finally woken up and Tuesday night released a statement regarding the homophobic chants of some of the Man Utd chavs.

Imagine we had retaliated and sung about Munich etc. the press (quite rightly) would have been all over us.

As it is, the press say nothing about the Man Utd fans.

Just checked on the Man Utd website and nothing about their fans behaviour.

We all know that if Chelsea fans step out of line our club are the first to take punitive measures. It’s good to see them finally taking that approach to other fans.

When I hear the chant I just think it’s stupid but thinking it about it more I can see how offensive it is. It is saying that being gay is the worse offence and implies that gay people are more likely to be prostitutes. Years ago fans used to sing I would rather be a P*** than a scouse, implying that being a P*** is almost the worse thing imaginable. Everyone is fighting against the ugly face of racism but as a society we appear to be light years behind on tackling homophobia.

13 hours ago, chi blue said:

decided let's get the early train home

We can see you sneaking out! :biggrin:

2 hours ago, The Swan said:

Everyone is fighting against the ugly face of racism but as a society we appear to be light years behind on tackling homophobia.

I’d say we’re light years behind on both. 

On 18/02/2020 at 10:05, dansubrosa said:

He never will be. He’s had plenty of time to get ready for premier league and he hasn’t delivered yet, it’s time to stop wasting our time and cut him loose.

He hasn't had the experience that the others have yet. Eventually he will get there. Its kinda the same as rlc before he went on loan, he wasn't bad but at the same time he wasn't good enough for the first team.