Billy Gilmour

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

15 minutes ago, Sindre said:

Funny how quickly things change in football.

Started and finished two vital PL-games in a row now, with wins in both of them.

Some folks gave the manager plenty of grief for not playing him enough early enough. Time to give him credit now then for trusting Billy Gilmour in this crucial part of the season.

Good game today.

Yes, credit to Tuchel for playing Gilmour. And some give grief to Gilmour for not being as good as Jorginho, but two games played with two good performances, so credit to the wee midfielder, no?

16 minutes ago, Sindre said:

Funny how quickly things change in football.

Started and finished two vital PL-games in a row now, with wins in both of them.

Some folks gave the manager plenty of grief for not playing him enough early enough. Time to give him credit now then for trusting Billy Gilmour in this crucial part of the season.

Good game today.

Things change in football like Kovacic being injured and loads of games in such a shirt period. Before that is was 2 fa cup starts in 4 months, its great that his started but without cl semi finals and Kovacic injury I doubt he would have got a look in.

He did well today because for some reason a lot of passes going into him were all difficult to control and had 1 or 2 players ready to nick it off him but he managed to wriggle out of those situations and find a pass.

Thought he was pretty good against one tbe best pressing teams in the world. There was one play in the second half where he drew in 2 city players, then managed to slip a pass between them and we broke away 5 v 3. 

1st time he has started 2 league games back to back, and if he keeps performing, he will see more minutes. 

Guest Sindre

Nice little video of his involvements yesterday.

Best game he's played this season in my view. Still needs to develop defensively but he's under the perfect manager to do so.

50 minutes ago, icecoolguy22 said:

There goes the myth Tuchel doesn't want play youth, he backed Gilmour and the boy responded with 2 good performance. In the long term, I still believe he should go on loan next season, maybe a team like Villa

Does that not prove Tuchel got it wrong in not believing in Gilmour earlier? 0 minutes in the premier league until 1st of May and the game between the champions league semi finals came along and Kovacic was injured, like most managers you would put the champions league before the league. Before that Gilmour was 5th choice cm but desperate circumstances came along. Tbh Tuchel wants trophies so why would he play youth but its wierd Gilmour didnt even come on as a sub in the league specially games like west brom.

Guest Sindre
4 hours ago, Ernie_blue said:

Does that not prove Tuchel got it wrong in not believing in Gilmour earlier? 0 minutes in the premier league until 1st of May and the game between the champions league semi finals came along and Kovacic was injured, like most managers you would put the champions league before the league. Before that Gilmour was 5th choice cm but desperate circumstances came along. Tbh Tuchel wants trophies so why would he play youth but its wierd Gilmour didnt even come on as a sub in the league specially games like west brom.

Easy to forget he's 19. Most nineteen year olds are both training and playing with the reserves or on loan somewhere in the Championship or below.

Some patience is required and Gilmour has a lot of developing to do in certain aspects of his game. So I think there are a lot of good reasons why he haven't really featured that much until recently. 

Surely Tuchel should get credit for trusting a teenager in such a vital part of the season. Especially considering the rather laughable overreactions of some earlier on.

Edited by Sindre

40 minutes ago, Sindre said:

Easy to forget he's 19. Most nineteen year olds are both training and playing with the reserves or on loan somewhere in the Championship or below.

Some patience is required and Gilmour has a lot of developing to do in certain aspects of his game. So I think there are a lot of good reasons why he haven't really featured that much until recently. 

Surely Tuchel should get credit for trusting a teenager in such a vital part of the season. Especially considering the rather laughable overreactions of some earlier on.

Not to mention if these theories of him treating the youngsters differently had even the slightest bit of substance he'd have been hauled off at half time against Fulham (because he was poor) and yesterday (as punishment for giving away the pen).

36 minutes ago, Sindre said:

I would give the majority of credit to Gilmour myself, to go 15 PL games playing 0mins to then play well in 2 games is all on him. At the end of the day Gilmour only started vs Fulham because of the champions league being more important and Kova being injured otherwise he wouldnt play again. Tuchel deserves credit for starting him again vs City after Gilmour took his chance but i cant see how people can sit there and say he plays the youngsters after 2 starts ffs.

There was deffiantly plenty of oppurtunies for Gilmour to get minutes to see out games, come on for underperforming senior pros and when games have been won early but he got 0minutes.

Gilmour should start vs Arsenal as he has earned it plus players will be rested for the fa cup and top 4 is nearly there.

8 minutes ago, Argo said:

Not to mention if these theories of him treating the youngsters differently had even the slightest bit of substance he'd have been hauled off at half time against Fulham (because he was poor) and yesterday (as punishment for giving away the pen).

Abraham has been hauled off twice at half time when starting and CHO has been hauled off after being subbed on, CHO and Abraham both happened in the same game so I wouldn't blame anyone for thinking it. It's more likely TT doesnt rate or trust certain players.

Guest Sindre
6 minutes ago, Ernie_blue said:

I would give the majority of credit to Gilmour myself, to go 15 PL games playing 0mins to then play well in 2 games is all on him. At the end of the day Gilmour only started vs Fulham because of the champions league being more important and Kova being injured otherwise he wouldnt play again. Tuchel deserves credit for starting him again vs City after Gilmour took his chance but i cant see how people can sit there and say he plays the youngsters after 2 starts ffs.

He wasn't very good at all v Fulham though. Everyone who saw that game realize he was rather poor but Tuchel still started in in a vital game against the best team in the league shortly after.

And while I hope Gilmour starts against Arsenal he hasn't earned anything yet. Jorginho, Kante & Kovacic have dragged us back into Top 4 and into the CL-final between them. Gilmour is not at the same level yet as any of those three but could become a brilliant player in time.

So have some patience and stop berating the manager for his entirely sensible decisions.

11 minutes ago, Ernie_blue said:

He's played more games for us this season than Terry did in his equivalent season age wise. Remember the Barca team under Pep that was raved about for having a squad full of academy players? Only Messi, Xavi and Iniesta played more games than Billy at the age he is currently.

The idea that youth are wasted if they ain't playing x amount of games just isn't true, similar stuff was being said about Foden for years and look at him now.

3 minutes ago, Ernie_blue said:

Abraham has been hauled off twice at half time when starting and CHO has been hauled off after being subbed on, CHO and Abraham both happened in the same game so I wouldn't blame anyone for thinking it. It's more likely TT doesnt rate or trust certain players.

Tammy simply doesn't suit the way TT wants to play, and it's not an age thing because Giroud's minutes have gone through the floor for exactly the same reason.

If we're going to go down the route of micro analysing actions with the youth players, Lampard ignored CHO at the start of the season even when we had no other fit wingers and then still preferred Pulisic and Ziyech in the winter when Callum was outperforming both.

6 minutes ago, Sindre said:

He wasn't very good at all v Fulham though. Everyone who saw that game realize he was rather poor but Tuchel still started in in a vital game against the best team in the league shortly after.

And while I hope Gilmour starts against Arsenal he hasn't earned anything yet. Jorginho, Kante & Kovacic have dragged us back into Top 4 and into the CL-final between them. Gilmour is not at the same level yet as any of those three but could become a brilliant player in time.

So have some patience and stop berating the manager for his entirely sensible decisions.

I'm not berating him but you not expect Gilmour to play more than 0mins in 15 league games?

Guest Sindre

I'm not berating him but you not expect Gilmour to play more than 0mins in 15 league games?

No I do not. He's a youngster and is not yet as good at the three ahead of him in the pecking order. And since Tuchel arrived at the club damn near every game have been must win so he's not played all that much for obvious reasons.

And it's not like he played that much under Lampard either. He's already started as many league games under Tuchel in four months as he did during Lampards entire tenure at the club.

Yet most think Lampard handled him brilliantly why Tuchel haven't. It doesn't make sense unfortunately.

5 minutes ago, Argo said:

He's played more games for us this season than Terry did in his equivalent season age wise. Remember the Barca team under Pep that was raved about for having a squad full of academy players? Only Messi, Xavi and Iniesta played more games than Billy at the age he is currently.

The idea that youth are wasted if they ain't playing x amount of games just isn't true, similar stuff was being said about Foden for years and look at him now.

Tammy simply doesn't suit the way TT wants to play, and it's not an age thing because Giroud's minutes have gone through the floor for exactly the same reason.

If we're going to go down the route of micro analysing actions with the youth players, Lampard ignored CHO at the start of the season even when we had no other fit wingers and then still preferred Pulisic and Ziyech in the winter when Callum was outperforming both.

Exactly what I said about Tammy but you mentioned players being hauled off and I gave you examples people could use. Some people regard these 2 as youngsters as they are the only ones being hauled off.

No point in bringing up past players from 20 years ago. Gilmour was asked to stay and played 0mins in 15 league games, you can see why some people got pissed off about that specially when Jorginho has had a few mares in that time, like I said Gilmour could have easily played some minutes here or there so a few jumping on the bandwagon that TT now plays the youngsters after 2 games is rubbish.

18 minutes ago, Ernie_blue said:

No point in bringing up past players from 20 years ago. Gilmour was asked to stay and played 0mins in 15 league games, you can see why some people got pissed off about that specially when Jorginho has had a few mares in that time, like I said Gilmour could have easily played some minutes here or there so a few jumping on the bandwagon that TT now plays the youngsters after 2 games is rubbish.

No more ridiculous than the arguments on the other end of the scale.

And unless he was registered as a PL player straight from birth, Foden wasn't 20 years ago.

Guest Sindre
1 hour ago, Ernie_blue said:

. Gilmour was asked to stay and played 0mins in 15 league games, you can see why some people got pissed off about that speciall

Didn't see anyone pissed when he played a whopping 9 minutes in total before matchday 29 last season.

So unless you were fuming at Lampard then I don't understand why you would be pissed at Tuchel now.

And for good measure he was the only player I can remember Lampard hooking at half time last season. Away to Leicester. But I suppose Lampard mistreated the youngsters as well.

9 minutes ago, Sindre said:

Didn't see anyone pissed when he played a whopping 9 minutes in total before matchday 29 last season.

So unless you were fuming at Lampard then I don't understand why you would be pissed at Tuchel now.

And for good measure he was the only player I can remember Lampard hooking at half time last season. Away to Leicester. But I suppose Lampard mistreated the youngsters as well.

I wasnt fuming at anyone tbh just more responding to the bs that TT plays the youngsters which I guess effectively is right for 2 games in unique circumstances. I'm just backing up peoples views that TT treats the youngsters different with evidence. 

Guest Sindre

responding to the bs that TT plays the youngsters which I guess effectively is right for 2 games in unique circumstances.

He does play the youngsters. James, Mount, CHO have all played a lot.

Just because some get entirely hung up on Tammy Abraham not playing much (doesn't fit our system) and the teenager Gilmour having limited opportunities until now doesn't mean he doesn't play youngsters. Havertz and Pulisic who are prefered ahead of Abraham are also younger than Tammy if you didn't know that.

"Tuchel doesn't play youngsters" is such a silly argument. It's like saying Lampard didn't because he shunned Tomori.

35 minutes ago, Sindre said:

Not only Gilmour but also Mount and James despite the fact Kante and Willian were just as complicit to that awful first half.

Imagine the uproar if that was Tuchel?