abramovich

Billy Gilmour

1 hour ago, Argo said:

I disagree re Cesc (certainly our version), he was very susceptible to pressing and his best work always came when people dropped off him.

I should of said Arsenal Cesc, the the best version i saw, 17 onwards for about 5 yrs

4 hours ago, Droopy said:

People just doing the same mistakes over and over again. Give them time. Especially with English players. 

He’s Scottish though... all aboard the hype train!

What he possesses is a natural ability, it’s not something you can train a player on. His awareness and composure on the ball was head & shoulders above everybody else on the pitch and he’s only 18.

Meanwhile I don’t expect him to become world class yet, I have very high hopes for him after seeing how he played last night, special talent.

Off subject a wee bit but someone mentioned earlier about a special players ability to control balls into him and awareness.

I haven’t seen much of Man City’s Foden before Sunday’s cup final but that is what stood out to me. His first time control of some difficult passes was immaculate. I think Foden will be a special player. 

Gilmore showed similar qualities last night and I hope he can fulfil his potential.   

11 hours ago, Argo said:

Problem with Josh wasn't ability it was his attitude, as soon as he got the new contract and the Corrie misses his status got to his head. Also I think he became a lot more cautious after he made that near fatal mistake at Villa Park.

While I do agree comparisons with Scholes is far too premature early signs are Billy has the correct mentality and combine that with his talent that makes the chances of him making it here extremely high.

I agree, as soon as he got that new contract he wasn't the same, that was around the time we loaned him to Middlesbrough. It's still only one game though, people have to wind it back a bit before starting ridiculous comparisons like that. Billy has all the time in the world, 18 year old who looks really good, he doesn't have to be our best midfielder next season like some people are saying he will be. If he is, GREAT news, if he isn't, oh well, that's expected, he has plenty of time to develop. You see where I'm going with this? You know more than anyone that fans are very fickle, with youth especially you've brought it up many times, what are the chances that as soon as Billy isn't playing well he's not good enough anymore and completely overhyped? 

4 minutes ago, Vagabond said:

Being realistic can make people miserable at times, but works much better than delusion or denial in the long run.

How is admitting we have some of the best young talent for their age in world football being delusional? 

Can't think of many 18 year old CM's that are as good as Billy. 

Any 20 year old RB's better than Reece? TAA is a year older and the only one on a similar level.

16 minutes ago, Vagabond said:

Being realistic can make people miserable at times, but works much better than delusion or denial in the long run.

I like how you make your argument work for your agenda. I am either A. Miserable. or B. Delusional.........please select one answer.😄

I'm confused, did we not get a massive reality check like a week ago?

But you're right, who cares. Let's just label our youth players as the new Scholes, Modric and Messi, what could go wrong? Everybody knows there's nothing better for the development of a young talent than to be compared to the absolute best after a single good game.

1 minute ago, Vagabond said:

But you're right, who cares. Let's just label our youth players as the new Scholes, Modric and Messi, what could go wrong? Everybody knows there's nothing better for the development of a young talent than to be compared to the absolute best after a single good game.

Saying they have similar characteristics to great players isn't a bad thing. No one is saying he's as good as Scholes or Messi, they're saying they have similarities. 

Did we not get a reality check a few days ago when our 18 year old bossed the current best team in Europe?

3 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Saying they have similar characteristics to great players isn't a bad thing. No one is saying he's as good as Scholes or Messi, they're saying they have similarities. 

Did we not get a reality check a few days ago when our 18 year old bossed the current best team in Europe?

Billy the Boss.........I like it !!

13 minutes ago, Vagabond said:

Do you ever dream about winning the lottery ? or are your dreams dark ?💀

1 minute ago, coco said:

Do you ever dream about winning the lottery ? or are your dreams dark ?💀

Never, I'm a computer scientist/mathematician and the lottery is just an additional tax for stupid people.

Last night I dreamt of a new screen protector for my phone cause the old one is making bubbles. 😬

Mb thats why I'm miserable.

1 minute ago, Vagabond said:

Never, I'm a computer scientist/mathematician and the lottery is just an additional tax for stupid people.

Last night I dreamt of a new screen protector for my phone cause the old one is making bubbles. 😬

Mb thats why I'm miserable.

I bet you're fun to be around. 

20 minutes ago, Vagabond said:

What is going to happen now exactly, is Billy the kid going to suddenly stop training because I said that he can end up being our own version of Scholes on a forum that he will probably never ever get to read?

For someone that calls himself a computer scientist implying that he's so rational, you sound like you're in some "don't jinx it please" superstition mood which is the very opposite of how you want to come across as :laugh2:

2 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

What is going to happen now exactly, is Billy the kid going to suddenly stop training because I said that he can end up being our own version of Scholes on a forum that he will probably never ever get to read?

For someone that calls himself a computer scientist implying that he's so rational, you sound like you're in some "don't jinx it please" superstition mood which is the very opposite of how you want to come across as :laugh2:

Oh please. It has nothing to do with superstition and everything to do with struggle and motivation in a highly competitive environment. The chance that Billy will turn into ANY of those players is extremely slim and he will have to struggle every day for years to even come close. Really not that hard to understand.

Gilmour looks very good on the ball and reading the game.

Yet to see if he has a long range passing ability or a shooting skill.

Acceleration around the pitch looks average so defensively might be like Jorginho.

Where would we play him, he looks like an Iniesta yet we are not that team.

2 minutes ago, Vagabond said:

Oh please. It has nothing to do with superstition and everything to do with struggle and motivation in a highly competitive environment. The chance that Billy will turn into ANY of those players is extremely slim and he will have to struggle every day for years to even come close. Really not that hard to understand.

It's only possible for him to become so good while he's growing in the best competitive environment, you will never see a Messi or Pele coming out from a place where there is no competition.

In sports, specially competitive sports, confidence is very important and I see nothing wrong in praising Billy the kid. What he does as an individual is up to him but to have positive feedback after doing well, that's never going to be a reason for him to stop working hard, unless of course it's his own bad attitude to which only he has the responsibility.

Just now, Gol15 said:

It's only possible for him to become so good while he's growing in the best competitive environment, you will never see a Messi or Pele coming out from a place where there is no competition.

In sports, specially competitive sports, confidence is very important and I see nothing wrong in praising Billy the kid. What he does as an individual is up to him but to have positive feedback after doing well, that's never going to be a reason for him to stop working hard, unless of course it's his own bad attitude to which only he has the responsibility.

Comparing him to players like Modric and Messi (who was scoring hattricks vs RM @ 19yo) after a single performance may be "positive", but it is bad feedback most of all.

He's nothing like any of those players (yet), which is why the comparisons were all over the place and he was compared to completely different players, but somehow shares characteristics with all of them.