17 hours ago, SlantyTown said:

Not wishing to turn this into a Mata thread, but he was outstanding for Chelsea. I was beyond gutted when he left us as he had so much more to offer. He was consistently great for us over a number of seasons and I'm really glad he won the CL with us (his penalty aside!).

I was fuming. It was easily the most pissed I have been at a transfer out of the club. I was ill with the flu when it happened as well, so that made me even more annoyed. It didn't end up badly in the end because Mata's career has been forgettable since a year or two after joining United, but nobody could have predicted this at the time and it seemed like we made a massive error.

11 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

I was fuming. It was easily the most pissed I have been at a transfer out of the club. I was ill with the flu when it happened as well, so that made me even more annoyed. It didn't end up badly in the end because Mata's career has been forgettable since a year or two after joining United, but nobody could have predicted this at the time and it seemed like we made a massive error.

Mata being sold to united really hurt. I think it was Southampton away, mata got a rare start. He didnt have the best of games, and hooked for Oscar, who came on, scored and we won 3 nil. I think thats was when i knew he was gone. 

1 hour ago, big blue said:

Mata being sold to united really hurt. I think it was Southampton away, mata got a rare start. He didnt have the best of games, and hooked for Oscar, who came on, scored and we won 3 nil. I think thats was when i knew he was gone. 

Yes, I remember when Mata left i tried to rationalize, and all I could come up with was Oscar suited the overall sysem better under Jose than Mata did.

I'm sure at this point he's been at Utd longer than Chelsea, but he should forever be remembered as a better, integral player for Chelsea

9 hours ago, mad_mac said:

Yes, I remember when Mata left i tried to rationalize, and all I could come up with was Oscar suited the overall sysem better under Jose than Mata did.

I'm sure at this point he's been at Utd longer than Chelsea, but he should forever be remembered as a better, integral player for Chelsea

I had to check this, and is hard to believe. 2 1/2 seasons at Chelsea; 6 1/2 at Utd.

9 hours ago, Slojo said:

I was about to say "oh come on, it was a ages ago" then saw the name, you poor soul. 

I've still got my Mata jersey in my drawer, I'll never forget! 

Me too.. I imported a brand new 100 pound jersey and he was gone.. worse my uncle who lives in the UK bought it one size bigger. So there it is an oversized unused Mata jersey !

Edited by Jangz

Not ideal if he's missing for our first game as it looked like he and Werner have been developing some chemistry from the game against Brighton - he has an absolute wand of a left foot, his cross in to Callum to provide the emmm *cough* assist *cough* was exceptional. I assume we'll be waiting until Franks presser before we hear any official word from the club for an update on the injury. I suppose this will give Callum a chance to impress on the opening day if Ziyech is indeed out injured. 

• 2 weeks later...