Welcome Hakim Ziyech

Felt a bit sorry for him today. Timo wastes the decent passes he gives him, Kante runs down a blind ally instead of playing him through, Mason understandably tries to give one to Tammy when Ziyech was in a better position and an easier pass.

You could see he was frustrated.

Anyone else seeing glimpses of his class last few games? I saw it yesterday and when he came on against West Ham. He has off days for sure, but I’ve got a feeling a match-winning performance could be in the works. Interesting that TT said he was the player who least deserved not being selected yesterday or something along those lines. 

3 minutes ago, Dean said:

Anyone else seeing glimpses of his class last few games? I saw it yesterday and when he came on against West Ham. He has off days for sure, but I’ve got a feeling a match-winning performance could be in the works. Interesting that TT said he was the player who least deserved not being selected yesterday or something along those lines. 

He looks a lot sharper than he did earlier in the season that's for sure. 

I would expect that he'll start against Fulham at the weekend which is going to be a chance for him to impress. A good showing in that game and he'll be in with a good chance of starting the 2nd leg against Real.

He  scored against Madrid during Ajax run a couple seasons back. Considering he has scored some big goals for us in cup ties this season I think he warrants a start this weekend with the possibility that a good showing gets him into the team vs Madrid. We were missing a playmaker yesterday, the team failed to create enough killer passes when we were on top Hakim could help with this.

21 hours ago, jack_super_class said:

Would it be right to say this guy has been the most disappointing in terms of the new signings so far? considering this guy is in his prime, 1 Premier league goal so far.

I rather we swap him for a proper DM. We have Mount, Pulisic, Havertz, Werner and CHO for our attacking positions, if we buy a new striker as well that is enough.

Don't give up on him lads just yet, of all the signings in the summer his was the one I looked forward to the most. A playmaker, he has the vision and ability to excite. Let's not forget he got injured twice and at 1 stage under Frank when he had returned during the first time we looked like title contenders. 

He's also scored some decisive goals for us and is a willing runner. Some games I think he's just not done much but, then I watch the highlights and he is a press machine. One thing I'll say is whilst he looks lazy he alongside the rest of our fwds have 1 thing that sadly Eden didn't and that's the willingness to urgently press the opponents cb's and midfielders.

I think he has a place in this team and may surprise a few with his end of season contributions during this run in. Or at least that's what I'm hoping. I think we have a really good squad and for once we're only a  couple/few away alongside keeping this manager from really having a strong period domestically and continentally.

He has shown glimpses of real quality but has been a bit hit and miss up to now. Although he has shown he can be a match-winner, I don't think TT trusts him enough to start him in such a huge game against Madrid. It's a game where we simply can't afford any passengers so I expect Ziyech to be on the bench and TT will stick with his trusted ones.

30 minutes ago, Valerie said:

I had a very weird experience today. A colleague who has no interest in football whatsoever told me Ziyech really needs to be played more and get match fit, and then we'll see the best of him.

I'll pass it on to Tommy.

Is this some intel from the Ajax brigade through him just for the piss taking?

4 minutes ago, Valerie said:

I suspect a body snatcher was at play here, there's no other explanation.

Sorry about my male chovinist assumption that it had to be a he... after all, body snatchers are known to mingle with all sorts 😛 

12 minutes ago, RMH said:

Sorry about my male chovinist assumption that it had to be a he... after all, body snatchers are known to mingle with all sorts 😛 

They always take over the ones you least expect them to 😳

For a "technical" player, his final ball (timing and weight) often leaves a lot to be desired.  I wouldn't move him on yet - has more to offer, but we do need to see improvement and consistency. 

Best comment from match day forum was "his normal sunny self" @Valerie

6 hours ago, PhilH930 said:

For a "technical" player, his final ball (timing and weight) often leaves a lot to be desired.  I wouldn't move him on yet - has more to offer, but we do need to see improvement and consistency. 

Best comment from match day forum was "his normal sunny self" @Valerie

It'd be a dumb move to ship him out that soon. Although some passes seem like he has double vision or something like that I'd say that this is clearly a matter of training and fine tuning which is just not really possible given the Covid-timetable. I'd say the attacking system will look much more fluid next season. Fingers crossed 😉

5 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Not sure how the ref did not see that clear pen on him. Was such a bad call Obrevo and Anthony Taylor have called asking for pointers.

I think the ref was ready to blow the whistle and just stopped caring. Overall a good performance.

I'm very happy with Ziyech as a member of the squad. Offers something different, he just needs to start doing it consistently. 

3 hours ago, ashwin said:

I think the ref was ready to blow the whistle and just stopped caring. Overall a good performance.

I'm very happy with Ziyech as a member of the squad. Offers something different, he just needs to start doing it consistently. 

On top of that I think that the ref clearly didn't want to make any big decision, no red cards and no penalties, he maybe got told by Uefa to keep the game as simple as possible and he didn't even want to add any extra time before the first half ended.

Posted (edited)

How can anyone think of selling this guy?? He gives us something else which is great to have better squad depth and strength.

He's been up and down with injuries and hasn't really been able to be played into form. In no way should we look to ship him off and I believe his best is yet to come.

Edited by Malcolm9

Underwhelming season by his Ajax standards. Yet he still manages to contribute when it matters, really excited to see how well he can play once settled for a couple of seasons. He also presses very well and actually fits in with the squad imo despite what some may say.

Ironically him and Werner have surprisingly switched roles. Timo has been providing top tier assists and Ziyech has been finishing moves off.