coco

Chelsea v Spuds (PL) Sat 22nd Feb 12:30 GMT

5 minutes ago, charierre said:

Marcus goal was pretty standard for him too, he strikes the ball very true.

It wasn't just Alonso's strike that made that goal, but the team play. All of the players involved were players that Super Frank didn't start on Monday. Starting with the header from Giroud, to the slashing run by Mount, from the lovely setup by Ross da Boss - Great team effort & now Jose is no longer welcomed at Stamford Bridge. Checkout this picture of everyone looking sideways at Jose from a Chelsea perspective

960.jpg

It wasn't just Alonso's strike that made that goal, but the team play. All of the players involved were players that Super Frank didn't start on Monday. Starting with the header from Giroud, to the slashing run by Mount, from the lovely setup by Ross da Boss - Great team effort & now Jose is no longer welcomed at Stamford Bridge. Checkout this picture of everyone looking sideways at Jose from a Chelsea perspective

960.jpg

Maybe they're all looking at the ball

Always feels great doing the league double over Spurs.  Top 4 is going to be a battle to the end, but with the Man City thing it'd be strange if it then develops to Top 5

I like the back 3 with Alonso and James, think it's pretty solid.  The midfield of Kova and Jorginho is good too, and with some mobility ahead of him I think Jorginho can really pick a pass; however, he does need someone to cover for the gaps he leaves.

Giroud and Alsonso I am very happy for, came on and took their chances well.

VAR in the PL is fast becoming the laughing stock of the footballing world 

9 minutes ago, CFCholland said:
14 minutes ago, robdog said:

960.jpg

Maybe they're all looking at the ball

even that girl in the stand was frowning at Jose - everyone was looking at him sideways

4 hours ago, Dean said:

I’ve said this from day one and will say it again . What an absolute howler by the Spuds powers-that-be appointing Mourinho😂.

The difference in Pochettino's Tottenham and Mourinho's Tottenham is crazy. Pochettino's Tottenham really pushed us in recent years, they gave everything to beat us, and it was satisfying to see us still finish on top more often than not. We have dominated Mourinho's Tottenham twice already though. There wasn't a single piece of consistent pressure from them in either game.

Was Lo Celso also the one who kicked Mount and they didn't even bother checking it? That was completely swept under the carpet, dirty bastard, he knew what he was doing. 

There was 3 incidents that should’ve been considered by VAR against Lo Celso today: the kickout on mount (easily could’ve been a red; they didn’t even look), the stamp on Azpi and then he caught Kovacic with a high boot later in the second half (red would’ve been soft but he deserved it at that point) and he hadn’t even been warned by that point ... I’d say it’s shocking refereeing but really it’s pretty standard

25 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

The difference in Pochettino's Tottenham and Mourinho's Tottenham is crazy. Pochettino's Tottenham really pushed us in recent years, they gave everything to beat us, and it was satisfying to see us still finish on top more often than not. We have dominated Mourinho's Tottenham twice already though. There wasn't a single piece of consistent pressure from them in either game.

It’s an astonishing own goal, it really is. Did someone slip some hallucinogens into their board’s drinks? There was so much information available at the time of the appointment for anyone paying the slightest bit of attention to see this was a bad idea. The guy has a personality disorder (anyone with basic knowledge of psychology understands this) which, as have witnessed twice for ourselves, means it can’t NOT end badly with him. He WILL lose the dressing room and the entire edifice WILL eventually crumble. But the more baggage he carries with him, the shorter his life-cycle becomes. So nowadays not only does it end badly, it STARTS badly too, and there’s nothing good in the middle either. And that’s before we even get to his antiquated methods. He’s finished. I’m not complaining of course:)! 

Edited by Dean

9 minutes ago, abramovich said:

He's right. Might as well have a robot on the field to ref the game, maybe one day we will.

21 minutes ago, chiefBlueCFC said:

There was 3 incidents that should’ve been considered by VAR against Lo Celso today: the kickout on mount (easily could’ve been a red; they didn’t even look), the stamp on Azpi and then he caught Kovacic with a high boot later in the second half (red would’ve been soft but he deserved it at that point) and he hadn’t even been warned by that point ... I’d say it’s shocking refereeing but really it’s pretty standard

It's a shame that the richest football league in the world couldn't buy better referees. Maybe it's time ton start importing some Euro and South American referees.

7 hours ago, Slojo said:

I forgot who we played but I remember we jumped straight back to the back 4 after the 3 at the back was becoming piss poor against the lower sides. 

Emerson started that game and was yanked. He was dreadful

Alonso had played great but wasn't fit to go again after going 90 for the first time in ages. Hopefully Alonso recovers quickly this time. He's a good option to have. 

Edited by Skinnedy

Masterstroke of a lineup considering what's available for Frank. 

Playing two attacking midfielders in the front 3 while having 2 wingbacks getting forward really highlights the system at its best. 

Hazard liked to stay out wide and would sometime occupy the same spots as the wingback, Willian always stays out wide. But Mount and Barkley were comfortable making run beyond Griroud on the inside channels and getting in behind. 

And having them both pressing was superb. 

It's not a lineup I want to see often, but for today or was spot on.

Great performance when you have 3 or 4 guys being called for MOTM.

For me, it was Christensen. He was so composed in the sweeper position in the middle of the back three. 

Rudiger under Conte had a magic wand of a right back on long switches and diagonals. That part of his game has completely abandoned him since returning from injury. Hopefully it comes back. His long balls have been poor since his return. 

Let's keep some momentum now!

9 hours ago, Brutos said:

Full praise for every single player today everyone put in a shift that was needed.

Full praise for Lampard also he got his tactics correct this is what I want to see from match to match play to your strengths and not to what you think your strengths are.

Eveytime we play this system it works every single time so why doesn't he play it more?

That's a bit of a myth to be honest.

Worked at Wolves but we tried it again few days later against Valencia and fell to a tame home defeat.

Worked at Spurs but then Southampton happened, and Frank still persisted with a back three away to Arsenal the next game and it went so badly he ditched it after half an hour.

It's an excellent horses for courses option to revert to when the circumstance requires it but absolutely no way should it be our week by week formation.

Edited by Argo

6 hours ago, charierre said:

Just seen goals, Giroud showed why he is head and shoulders above Bats. No more of this nonsense of him being number 3 striker. Play to his strengths and our side will score goals. Not only his but the players he brings into play too. Marcus goal was pretty standard for him too, he strikes the ball very true.

As happy as I am that he started at last, it just made me all the more frustrated with how frank has treated him all season. Tammy could have been rested a lot more for one and Giroud could have contributed as he has done over last two years and a few of those games we stuffed up, he may have made the difference in. Doesn't make sense to me. 

Edited by The Brit

Thought we played very well against a toothless Spurs side.

Frank get his selection spot on. Even Christensen, who I wanted dropped, defended really well. 

Giroud and Alonso showed the quality they had to offer as well. A 4-0 win would have been a more fair reflection on the game.

Well done team.

VAR what a joke...

What a win. First Chelsea team to do the double over Spurs in 14 years. 

A few thoughts: 

1. Mount was here,  there and every f**king where. His movement just tore Spuds apart and created so many chances even of he wasn't directly involved. No better example than him dragging one of the Spurs defenders towards the touchline to open the channel for our opener. Created the chance without being within 10 yards of the ball at any point. His best game for us so far. 

2. Some of the lesser names lifted and carried us to the points. Giroud and Alonso the easy ones but Barkley played very well today too and Willy chipped in with a top save. Very abllsy from Frank. I've been critical of some of his recent lineups but he had everyone motivated today and they delivered for him.

3. We finally got some luck in front of goal. It's telling that our two goals were very poor chances from an XG perspective. One from outside the box and one from a tough angle at the near post. We missed our two best chances but glad we finally had a change of fortune and we hit the net.

Onwards for Bayern with a huge lift for the team and hopefully the crowd who will need to be pumping. Bayern are vulnerable this year. Lets hope we roll them.

I thought it was a wasted performance by Spurs as quite a few times when they got forward, they looked quite threatening and could have easily scored. Shame Jose is so negative, he should have just gone for it.