Greavsie

Ballack & Blu

I never saw him play for Chelsea (too young) but I saw him in a Spurs shirt many times. My cousin is a life-long City fan who loves to talk about how he saw Greavsie make his debut for West Ham at Maine Road in 1970. The Hammers won 5-1 and Greavsie, as he did, scored on his debut. By the way, we played Chelsea that day and lost 2-1 at your place. Can't remember who got Chelsea's goals but Willie Morgan scored ours.

On ‎20‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 20:20, Stretford Ender said:

There's a story about him waiting in the tunnel at Anfield when Spurs were playing Liverpool, and Tommy Smith handed him a copy of the menu from Liverpool Infirmary.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if that story was true !

• 3 months later...
On 24/02/2020 at 21:59, erskblue said:

Image result for jimmy greaves chelsea

Eighteen-year-old Jimmy Greaves, left, scoring one of five goals for Chelsea against champions Wolves (PA Archive)

A year after scoring as a 17-year-old on his First Division debut for Chelsea against Tottenham, Greaves delivered a virtuoso display against then champions Wolves. 

The then England captain Billy Wright was in the Wolves side that day at Stamford Bridge, but Greaves proved to be in unstoppable form, scoring five times as Chelsea cruised to a 6-2 victory.

The same scoreline of a 6-2 win for us, would be most welcome this weekend.

• 5 weeks later...

• 1 year later...

RIP Jimmy. I only really saw him at the backend of his career but was a fine goal scorer. Like @Stretford Ender I remember him scoring a hattrick in the mud against City. His Saturday programme with Ian StJohn in the 80s was must watch tv before going out for a match. I'm sure both sets of supporters today will give him a  send off he deserves.

RIP Jimmy

I like the majority was to young to remember him playing, but he was a massive celeb in the 80s, even bigger than Lineker and the likes now. He had a honest personality and told it how it was without fear of upset, no pc bollocks.

God bless you Greavsie.

• coco changed the title to Greavsie

Very sad news.  What a goal scorer he was.

Candidly was before my time.  Learned of him through stories from my dad, and the countless times I watched the Chelsea VHS from the days of Willy Faulkes, Doherty's diamonds thru Kerry Dixon.  Greavsie highlights are still memorable.  From there, I always enjoyed Saints and Greavsie on a Saturday.

Thank you Jimmy.  RIP