Chelsea v Bayern Munich (CL) Tues 25th Feb 20:00 GMT

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Am I a fool being a tad optimistic about this fixture? To clarify, I think we probably won’t get past them but it’s far from the foregone conclusion I might have thought it was a few weeks/months back. What am I missing? How good do people think they are?

----------------------Willy
-----Azpi-----Christensen---Rüdiger
James-----Jorgi----Kova-------Alonso
----------Barkley----------Mount
---------------------Giroud

I desperately hope Lampard sticks with the back three as with our current available squad it's easily our best line-up in all areas of the pitch. 4 at the back with azpi on the left and they'll tear us apart.

To me there's only two question marks over yesterday's starting line-up:

Tammy for Giroud
Bayern will push us deeper than Spurs and leave us with the counter attacking role more of the time, to which Tammy's pace might be better suited. However they're not playing the same handball-Type 70%+ possession game they used to under pep. Also, Giroud's hold up play and ability to distribute the ball to faster players around him could be invaluable against Bayern, let alone his bomb of a left foot. He gave the team a real lift yesterday and I don't believe this is the game to introduce Tammy back into the starting 11. He'll be a strong option from the bench.

Willian for Barkley:
Great performance by Barkley yesterday and let's not forget the result contribution stats that are being thrown around a lot here lately. Would be a real shame to not reward this performance by starting him again, especially when Willian hasn't impressed me for some time now. On the other hand we might face less than 50% possession in this match and some added pace around Giroud could be vital. Plus Willian has the tendency to properly turn up for important European nights. It's a tough one for me, real 50-50 decision. I could live with either.

I see Bayern still have Lewandowski and also now Coutinho, guess the latter is on loan.

I would like Frank to play the same team as yesterday, only change if injuries dictate this or we are tactically outclassed.

I like us playing back three with out current squad though some matches where the opposition plays two large mobile C/Fs we used to concede at times.

Watched the replay of their Paderborn game today.

They played 3 at the back but had Boateng and Pavard suspended. They were pretty poor to be honest. Just that Lewandowski is an ace saved them.

I think we can score it's just a question of how we stop them from scoring. Be interesting to see how we line up. I'd be happy enough with the lineup from Saturday but can see Willian coming in for Barkley. 

3 hours ago, Spiller86 said:

They played 3 at the back but had Boateng and Pavard suspended. They were pretty poor to be honest. Just that Lewandowski is an ace saved them.

I think we can score it's just a question of how we stop them from scoring. Be interesting to see how we line up. I'd be happy enough with the lineup from Saturday but can see Willian coming in for Barkley. 

Yeah your right, I thought they was injured. Still think we will score.

10 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

They have been the best team in the Champions League this season, I don't think we could have asked for a tougher draw.

Yeah yeah we been here before, German teams get loads of respect from our fans, always have done. But when push comes to shove............

http://www.eurocupshistory.com/match/confrontation/ENG-GER/england_against_germany_in_uefa_club_competitions

Capture.PNG

It is difficult to gage when Bayern Munich are at tbh. They have had some recent games where they've put 4/5 past the opponent, but they've also conceded some goals too. I guess Leipzig would be a good gage.

Leipzig outclassed Spurs (as did we), but the game Vs Bayern ended 0-0. In their last game they conceded two goals against the bottom side in the Bundesliga, but went on to win 3-2. A few games ago they conceded 3 against Hoffenheim, but won the game 4-3. 

They can be got at, but so can we. We saw what Ajax did to us at home, so who knows. I reckon it could end up a high scoring game or could be a tough night for us. I just don't see us putting a few past Bayern without them doing the same to us. 

Edited by enigma

11 hours ago, Spiller86 said:

Against Paderborn Müller and Coman were rested for Tuesdays match. As 4 in the back did not function with 2 centre forwards with left foot in previous tries and Flick does not trust Odriozola defensively (a lot right-footed players have a good developed left foot, it is seldom that left footed players can do much with their right foot, atleast Alaba and Hernandez can't) Flick tried 3 at the back with Kimmich, Alaba and Hernandez. Like that Thiago had to play deeper, too. 

Odriozola and Coutinho played - they for sure do not play Tuesday. 

Bayern's first eleven functions great, but bigger changes to it are problematic. That happened in some previous matches. 

The Bayern lineup that is expected to start Tuesday: 

Neuer

Pavard - Boateng - Alaba - Davies

Kimmich - Thiago 

Müller

Coman - Lewandowski - Gnabry

Team- and Playerstats: 

https://1xbet.whoscored.com/Teams/37/Show/Germany-Bayern-Munich

https://understat.com/team/Bayern_Munich/2019

I hope that gives you some information! 

Edited by Maldeika

1 hour ago, Maldeika said:

Against Paderborn Müller and Coman were rested for Tuesdays match. As 4 in the back did not function with 2 centre forwards with left foot in previous tries and Flick does not trust Odriozola defensively (a lot right-footed players have a good developed left foot, it is seldom that left footed players can do much with their right foot, atleast Alaba and Hernandez can't) Flick tried 3 at the back with Kimmich, Alaba and Hernandez. Like that Thiago had to play deeper, too. 

Odriozola and Coutinho played - they for sure do not play Tuesday. 

Bayern's first eleven functions great, but bigger changes to it are problematic. That happened in some previous matches. 

The Bayern lineup that is expected to start Tuesday: 

Neuer

Pavard - Boateng - Alaba - Davies

Kimmich - Thiago 

Müller

Coman - Lewandowski - Gnabry

Team- and Playerstats: 

https://1xbet.whoscored.com/Teams/37/Show/Germany-Bayern-Munich

https://understat.com/team/Bayern_Munich/2019

I hope that gives you some information! 

Quiet a team. 

Edited by axman2526