coco

Chelsea v Bayern Munich (CL) Tues 25th Feb 20:00 GMT

Bayern are the form team in the competition and have the most in form striker in Europe. They'll also have revenge on their mind from 2012, Neuer and Muller are still at the club that were in that team 8 years ago and will have them fired up. Plus our home form has been f**king sh*te. Everything points in one direction. 

With all that said I'm going for a 2-1 win. It would be typical for us to pull it off with our backs against the wall. 

On 24/02/2020 at 13:13, axman2526 said:

So who is confident we can keep a clean sheet?

I think we have little or no chance of stopping them scoring, but Bayern’s defence hasn’t been that good when I’ve seen them this season and if we get it right (unlikely) or get lucky we could score.  I think our midfield is the equal of theirs and our fence not too much worse but their attack is way better than us. 

Edited by ozboy

Feels like this will be a massive reality check for some of our players, our squad is currently very far from the best teams in Europe.

Hopefully Willian is fit and will show up with one of his vintage performances.

I would stick with the back 3 formation. This game will definitely be hard for us. But we don’t have anything to lose for let’s just go for it 

Given the way we have been playing at home, I'd say 1:1 would be satisfactory, a win would be huge even conceding a goal or two. Offensively Bayern is as good as any out there, but they do look a bit suspect in defence, especially in European games. I'd keep as much as possible from the winning team from Saturday.

15 hours ago, Ernie_blue said:

As much as his inconsistent form does my head in and he waves his arms more than a cheerleader, Willian is due a good game and I got a feeling he will score.

Lol

I'd say we are definitely underdogs for this - our form over the past few months has been inconsistent and Bayern are a really strong and experienced team with a lot of quality. I'm definitely not writing us off though because I really believe that on our day we can reach a level that can beat anyone. We've played arguably the 2 strongest teams in europe this season (Liverpool and City) and the difference in quality during those matches was marginal (if anything I think we were the better team in those matches and the end results were harsh). We've shown that we can match it with anyone.

Regarding formation, I'm not so sure that we should stick with 3 at the back for this - I'd really worry that our midfield will get overrun against bayern as it did away at Arsenal before we changed formation. I think midfield control is extremely important against the bigger teams and in the champions league, so I'd get another body in there. Someone who can retain possession and can resist their press (could this be a moment for Ruben?).

It's a difficult one, but I'd go 4-3-3 with the lineup below.

Caballero

James         Christensen      Rudiger      Azpilicueta

Kovacic     Jorginho   Loftus-Cheek

Willian       Abraham      Mount

Hard decision to leave out Giroud and Barkley. Reasons are Giroud has barely played in 3 months and put in a big shift on Saturday - I also think Tammy offers us a bit more pace upfront which will be needed against Bayern. Willian in for Barkley as he we be fresher and loves the champions league. Willian's level seems to go up a gear when playing in Europe.

Really excited for this and whatever the result it will be fantastic experience for our squad! Come on Chels!!!!

Don't think Frank will want to change too much after a good performance against the spuds, 343 again and hopefully nick something and keep a clean sheet to take into the second leg. Come on Chelsea!

Just now, dan_cfc said:

Don't think Frank will want to change too much after a good performance against the spuds, 343 again and hopefully nick something and keep a clean sheet to take into the second leg. Come on Chelsea!

I think the same with maybe Tammy and RLC coming on later.

Think we might get a draw tonight.

One thing that I'm sure about is that it's going to be an open game. Tactically we simply don't have any other way to play this but to simply try and score as many goals as possible.

Bayern can punish our style easy but if we play 3-4-2-1 we might just get a lucky breakthrough at some point in the first 20 minutes. Bayern will most likely play 4-3-3, so maybe we get to control the ball more if Tolisso or Thiago gets a yellow card.

A would take a 2:2 since Bayern is much experienced, we can surprise them away.

It's a tough call for Frank. If he doesn't stick to the same team and we lose, he'll be blamed. If he leaves Tammy, Kepa and Willian on the bench and we lose, he'll be blamed.

For me it's a free hit at a European powerhouse, win/lose/draw it won't have any bearing on our season, the game against Bournemouth Saturday is far more important to us in the bigger picture, i would take a 0-3 loss tonight for a 0-3 win Saturday all day long.

Any blame on the gaffer tonight will be hugely unfair. 

I would stick with the same formation with possibly a couple of changes from the team on the weekend (due to the short time turnaround) with Abraham for Giroud and Willian for Barkley.

10 minutes ago, Imran_CFC said:

I would stick with the same formation with possibly a couple of changes from the team on the weekend (due to the short time turnaround) with Abraham for Giroud and Willian for Barkley.

I think something like that will happen. 

On 23/02/2020 at 10:52, Gol15 said:

Perfect game for Kepa he can show a lot here if he saves us from a big defeat.

No games perfect for Kepa, saving us from a big defeat? Let's just get him saving a shot first, those chocolate wrists, lack  of feet movement, and not coming for crosses etc leave me very dubious he will save a game for us.

Wishing for a win today, but realistically hoping for a draw.

Then steal 3 points at the Allianz in March with hopefully some injured players returning to full fitness. This team plays better and get more points on the road any way, so I would bet on a result away.

Going to be a difficult match, but I'm very excited to see what we can produce.

Hopefully we give ourselves a fighting chance heading into the second leg.

2 hours ago, Imran_CFC said:

I think it’s unfair to drop Barkley again after another good game. 
Hypothetically he makes those 2 changes and we get spanked, what does he do against Bournemouth then? Does he bring back Giroud and Barkley in at the weekend?

For me he sticks with the same team, if things are not working; fine you make the switches. If he changes the formation/personnel now and it goes wrong, it makes things tricky for the weekend.

13 minutes ago, ducavis said:

I think it’s unfair to drop Barkley again after another good game. 
Hypothetically he makes those 2 changes and we get spanked, what does he do against Bournemouth then? Does he bring back Giroud and Barkley in at the weekend?

For me he sticks with the same team, if things are not working; fine you make the switches. If he changes the formation/personnel now and it goes wrong, it makes things tricky for the weekend.

A couple of reasons for the changes, Lampard stated that the reason Giroud didnt start against United was due to match fitness so therefore asking him to play 2 games in the space of a few days may impact his performance, he may be okay to come on after the hour mark.

The reason for the inclusion of Willian is due to the requirement of pace on the break, against Spurs we could play Barkley as the likelihood was that Mourinho would set up his defense deep therefore we didnt really need Willians pace to get in behind, against Bayern we will have more opportunity to play on the break and get in behind therefore we need pace in our frontline.

Yes its unfair on the pair of them but rotation is key especially in games with a quick turnaround. 

Edited by Imran_CFC

By and large we perform our worst either a) when we're playing teams that sit back and only confront us in midfield, whenever we lose the ball we usually expose our defence in midfield, or b) when teams nail the high press like a pack of Wolves and completely shut us down in our half (doesn't happen very often.

If Bayern win it will probably be method b) that defeats us.

But the again if we are to win, it's method b) that gives us the best chance of winning, if we can manage their press and play expansive open football, who knows what could happen.