Sin bins for yellow cards

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I read Germany is going to experiment in lower leagues with a time penalty for a second yellow. The obvious extension is to say 10 minutes for 1 yellow, 30 minutes for two and a send off for three?

seems to me that a sin bin for a yellow would cut down on the incidence  and maybe improve the game?

Edited by ozboy

I'm probably not seeing the forest for the trees here, but my first thought is that it would greatly benefit teams who rely on tactical fouls to stop counter attacks. I think that would become a real problem (not that it isn't already).

Man City would probably never lose another game under Guardiola's management. Fernandinho would win the Ballon d'Or.

8 hours ago, PloKoon13 said:

I'm probably not seeing the forest for the trees here, but my first thought is that it would greatly benefit teams who rely on tactical fouls to stop counter attacks. I think that would become a real problem (not that it isn't already).

Man City would probably never lose another game under Guardiola's management. Fernandinho would win the Ballon d'Or.

quite the opposite surely? City would always be down to ten men.

14 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

quite the opposite surely? City would always be down to ten men.

For ten minutes rather than the entire remainder of the game, so it would benefit them. There's no suggestion that the actual awarding of yellow cards would be any different.

Not convinced it’s just change for sake of change. And I think rules need to and do constantly evolve. Sometimes getting sent off for two yellows is too harsh and sometimes just a yellow is not harsh enough. Still it’s no biggie. 

You can change all the rules in the world but if you have incompetent Application of those rules nothing will work, this seems like giving the refs another tool to impact games based upon subjective inclinations.

Maybe implement programs to get more youngsters and retired players to take up officiating to replace the dross we have currently.

Instead of a direct sin bin for a yellow, I prefer the introduction of another card for tactical fouls which break up quick counter-attacks. Say, an 8 minute sin bin for directly breaking up a promising attack.

Some of the fouls you see (like Milner's on Pedro in the FA cup on Wednesday), are so cynical they almost become dangerous, and the player knows they're not going to get anything worse than a yellow for it. If the option of a pink card was available, Milner might not have hacked down Pedro for fear of being sin binned for the remainder of the game.

Football has had so many changes since the premier league started. Keeper not allowed to pick up the ball from a back pass , substitutions from one to three, 15 minute half time break , different interpretations of the offside rule and var enough is enough.

16 minutes ago, bluehaze said:

Football has had so many changes since the premier league started. Keeper not allowed to pick up the ball from a back pass , substitutions from one to three, 15 minute half time break , different interpretations of the offside rule and var enough is enough.

Well I feel old.. This is how I remember things always being haha!

On 09/03/2020 at 12:01, bluehaze said:

From three named subs and using two to being able to use all three subs to being able to name five subs to being able to name seven. Just in the PL era - also now allowed a fourth sub in extra time in cup games. As they great Bob Dylan coined; times they are a changin!

You can change all the rules in the world but if you have incompetent Application of those rules nothing will work, this seems like giving the refs another tool to impact games based upon subjective inclinations.
Maybe implement programs to get more youngsters and retired players to take up officiating to replace the dross we have currently.

Money is the main obstacle there. The money for refs as they make their way through amateur football, lower league etc is rotten. You will struggle to tempt many youngsters to go down that route. Having ex players isn't necessarily a solution either. By the time a player retires, then goes through all the training and development needed to be a top flight ref he will be far too old to be one.

I'd definitely want to keep 2 yellows = red, but a 5-10 minute penalty for the first yellow would be intriguing.  Maybe even make the length of the sin bin based on the type of yellow (reckless challenge, time wasting, diving, intentional handball etc).

I wouldn't want it to make officials less likely to issue the punishment however, and making it more severe just might have that effect as well.

As for the time wasting issue....... would you risk going down to 10 (or less) men via getting a yellow for time wasting? The time wasted should be added back regardless, no?